Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2011, 11:50 AM

36 posts, read 65,984 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have found the perfect house in Lake Wylie, but we don't really like the back yard. It's a sepc home, that was built by Mercedes in Mill Creek Falls.
About 30 feet from the rear of the house, there is a "bump" (there is a term for it, but I don't remember it right now). Basically it has a very steep rise (about 5 or 6 ft. tall) and then it levels out again.
Our agent told us that we can't touch that "bump" because there is a water drain running through it. I don't understand why there would be a water drain in the back of the house.
Does anyone here has any ideas why there would be a water drain buried in the back yard? Our agent is not sure what it's for either. We just moved here from CT and we've never seen anything like that up north, so I am curious if it's a normal thing in here and there is nothing to worry about.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 01:04 PM

850 posts, read 2,651,651 times
Is it a drainage easement? Typically they are there to catch water run off.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:10 PM

261 posts, read 480,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marndt View Post
Is it a drainage easement? Typically they are there to catch water run off.
This is probably spot on. Many properties here have easements near the back of the property for drainage. Mine has 50 feet, but we are also on a little over an acre and mine is in the wood line. They are controlled by the county. Not that your agent isn't knowledgeable, but you might want to call the county just too see what might be able to be done. Maybe something or maybe nothing, but if it is the perfect house it is worth a call.

Old 09-30-2011, 07:27 PM

36 posts, read 65,984 times
Thank you for your replies. I did a quick research online and found that it supposed to help drain my yard. The only problem is when the pipe breaks, I will have a pond in my back yard... I think that we will have to continue our search for a less perfect house with a nicer yard.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:56 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,993,312 times
Good decision. There are many things you can change about the house, but doesn't sound like there is anything you can do about the drain. Inexpensively at least.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:46 AM

31 posts, read 43,576 times
I live near Mill Creek Falls and it's such a great area. Good luck with your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties