U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 07:48 AM

174 posts, read 299,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Rock Hill-Fort Mill are the most populated areas of the County.
I wrote a letter to the Time Warner CEO last year, and asked for a honest explanation on why they were not in Rock Hill-Fort Mill.
I got no reply at all.
The answer is called cost. Time Warner has two options; they can either lease the lines from Comporium and pay whatever price Comporium charges or they can build their own infrastructure.

The first option would cause them to be priced too high to be competive and the second option would cause a massive capital outlay; that would take anywhere from years to decades to earn back. If they earn it back at all; since there is no way to know if enough people would switch from Comporium to Time Warner.

Psy
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 08:32 AM

161 posts, read 501,185 times
Time Warner has a francaise to serve York County--they have chosen not to use it. No great loss, however, as Comporium service is superior and slightly less expensive. Here in Indian Land, we do do have TWC available and some of my neighbors have it----the stories they tell. Internet service down for days/even weeks at a time. This is consistent with my experience when I had TWC. TWC will not roll a trruck until a certain number of outages are reported in a particular area---otherwise you have to wait for a regular service appointment, which can be weeks in the future. One of my neighbors had to wait 12 days to have her internet restored, but she still HATES Comporium, though she has never had their service. Go figure.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:40 AM

564 posts, read 1,362,800 times
I am not fan of TWC but I must say that I have never had an internet issue with them. My RR has never been down that I know. I have VOIP not through TWC and I can see where the connection is lost and it has only happened in the middle of the night. My issue with TWC is the DVR service. I have a ton of issues witht he equipment. I looked into Comporium and did not fee they were superior. Cost for equal service was higher then what I was paying at TWC and they also have no On demand which we use often. I will be switching to AT&T Uverse when it is available in the Indian Land area.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:27 AM

161 posts, read 501,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayday30 View Post
I am not fan of TWC but I must say that I have never had an internet issue with them. My RR has never been down that I know. I have VOIP not through TWC and I can see where the connection is lost and it has only happened in the middle of the night. My issue with TWC is the DVR service. I have a ton of issues witht he equipment. I looked into Comporium and did not fee they were superior. Cost for equal service was higher then what I was paying at TWC and they also have no On demand which we use often. I will be switching to AT&T Uverse when it is available in the Indian Land area.
AT&T Uverse will not be available in Indian Land. Uverse is only being phased in in areas where AT&T is the incumbent (existing) telephone company. Again, many would say that is no loss since Uverse transmits its video service over conventional telephone lines. It is basically a 100% on demand "youtube on steroids" type service. Many say the video quality is very poor.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:58 AM

564 posts, read 1,362,800 times
That sucks. Everyone I know that has it loves it. I was at my Sister in laws over the weekend and it was great. Oh well, lived with TWC this long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>