Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 08:33 PM

1,218 posts, read 2,992,843 times

Advertisements

How is the traffic on 160 and Gold Hill Rd acceptable to the town? I was driving down that way at 5:45, and it was backed up all the way to the Brusters ice cream shop. I went into the Food Lion plaza for something, and went out by the bank. I couldnt even take a left the traffic was backed up past the Goodwill donation truck.

How is this traffic acceptable to the town of Tega Cay? It shouldnt be. Is this how it is in the morning and early evenings?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 08:50 PM

396 posts, read 977,816 times
I moved here from California in '01 and this is nothing compared to the nightmare traffic out there (I used to have a THREE HOUR COMMUTE ONE WAY for a 22 mile stretch). But this is how it starts.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:55 AM

186 posts, read 335,657 times
Part of the problem is that you have a 2 lane road going into a 1 lane road at the Gold Hill Road / Hwy 160 interchange . Then you have people who want to turn left into the Lowes Food shopping center between the pharmacy and the Gate gas station; instead of going up to the other side of the Gate and using the left turn lane.

The next part of the problem is that once you get past Gold Hill Road on 160; since it is one lane; it starts to back up with all the people who want to turn left at Zoar Road.

It is an area that was never designed to handle the amount of traffic it does. Hwy 160 really should be two lanes with either a) a center turn lane the whole way (i.e. 5 lanes of roadway) or b) turn lanes at regular intervals all the way to Hwy 49 in North Carolina.

Until that happens; expect traffic to just get worse as time goes by.

Psy

Old 02-15-2012, 06:42 AM

547 posts, read 775,399 times
A redesign for that intersection is already in the works. Rt. 160 will become a 5 lane all the way to NC.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsylockeSmythe View Post
Part of the problem is that you have a 2 lane road going into a 1 lane road at the Gold Hill Road / Hwy 160 interchange . Then you have people who want to turn left into the Lowes Food shopping center between the pharmacy and the Gate gas station; instead of going up to the other side of the Gate and using the left turn lane.

The next part of the problem is that once you get past Gold Hill Road on 160; since it is one lane; it starts to back up with all the people who want to turn left at Zoar Road.

It is an area that was never designed to handle the amount of traffic it does. Hwy 160 really should be two lanes with either a) a center turn lane the whole way (i.e. 5 lanes of roadway) or b) turn lanes at regular intervals all the way to Hwy 49 in North Carolina.

Until that happens; expect traffic to just get worse as time goes by.

Psy
You couldnt of said it any better!

Old 02-15-2012, 12:23 PM

207 posts, read 566,449 times
I come that way often from the Wal-Mart. Even at 3PM it's backed up.

What I find is that the problem is with people wanting to turn left into Tega Cay on Gold Hill. If you stay in the right hand lane going north on 160 then you can usually get into the straight lane once you get past those turning left. If for some reason I can't cut over I turn right onto Gold Hill and go home that way.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:24 PM

207 posts, read 566,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Father View Post
A redesign for that intersection is already in the works. Rt. 160 will become a 5 lane all the way to NC.
Where will the 5 lanes start? Up by the Wal-Mart?

Old 02-15-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolcin View Post
I come that way often from the Wal-Mart. Even at 3PM it's backed up.

What I find is that the problem is with people wanting to turn left into Tega Cay on Gold Hill. If you stay in the right hand lane going north on 160 then you can usually get into the straight lane once you get past those turning left. If for some reason I can't cut over I turn right onto Gold Hill and go home that way.
Ditto. I encounter this issue on Fridays during racing season. I usually just stay right, and 4 out of 5 cars are turning left to go Tega Cay. If for some reason it doesnt pan out, i suck it up and go right.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:14 PM

547 posts, read 775,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolcin View Post
Where will the 5 lanes start? Up by the Wal-Mart?
Rt 160 is currently 5 lanes (2 lanes each way plus a turning lane) going north until it hits Gold Hill. At Gold Hill it shrinks to 2 lanes and stays that way, with few exceptions, forever. The project to expand to 5 lanes from Gold Hill to the NC border has been approved and funded partly with money from York County's Pennies for Progress fund. What happens from the SC/NC border going north is up to NC.

Prior to that happening, however, the land will need to be acquired, utilities will need to be moved etc.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:59 AM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,661,552 times
Anyone know when they are going to break ground with the road expansion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties