U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2012, 09:35 PM

14 posts, read 16,524 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am hoping someone might be able to provide some suggestions of locations that my mother can look at moving to, based on her criteria. She recently sold her house in The Villages, Florida and wants to move further north, between Florida and Michigan, where she is originally from. She is currently living with me in Richmond, VA, but does not want to stay in VA.

Here is her wish list:

- A location that is relatively mild in winter and doesn’t get snow (or much snow, anyway)
- She doesn’t want to live near the ocean, nor in a location where it is mountainous – rolling hills are fine (she’s a flatlander)
- A small town – preferably 20,000 or less – with a large senior population (a lot of transplants would be nice). Maybe a small town outside of a larger city
- A YMCA where she can take pool exercise classes with other seniors
- A Catholic church, a movie theatre, and a nice library nearby
- She wants to rent and would prefer a cottage-style apartment, or a building with a maximum of two stories. Maybe even a townhouse. She wants it to be an active adult complex (no families) and not assisted living at all (she’s very independent and is not ready yet for one of those facilities where they provide dining and other such amenities).

Now, here’s the rub: she has a limited budget and can probably only afford $700 in rent (for a 2 BR), at the very maximum. She does not want to live in an income-restricted complex, but she may have to.

Any insight that can be provided would be very much appreciated. What she's looking for really is a place like The Villages, but further north!

Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 11:40 PM

1,218 posts, read 2,801,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Belle at Heart View Post
Hello,

I am hoping someone might be able to provide some suggestions of locations that my mother can look at moving to, based on her criteria. She recently sold her house in The Villages, Florida and wants to move further north, between Florida and Michigan, where she is originally from. She is currently living with me in Richmond, VA, but does not want to stay in VA.

Here is her wish list:

- A location that is relatively mild in winter and doesn’t get snow (or much snow, anyway)
- She doesn’t want to live near the ocean, nor in a location where it is mountainous – rolling hills are fine (she’s a flatlander)
- A small town – preferably 20,000 or less – with a large senior population (a lot of transplants would be nice). Maybe a small town outside of a larger city
- A YMCA where she can take pool exercise classes with other seniors
- A Catholic church, a movie theatre, and a nice library nearby
- She wants to rent and would prefer a cottage-style apartment, or a building with a maximum of two stories. Maybe even a townhouse. She wants it to be an active adult complex (no families) and not assisted living at all (she’s very independent and is not ready yet for one of those facilities where they provide dining and other such amenities).

Now, here’s the rub: she has a limited budget and can probably only afford $700 in rent (for a 2 BR), at the very maximum. She does not want to live in an income-restricted complex, but she may have to.

Any insight that can be provided would be very much appreciated. What she's looking for really is a place like The Villages, but further north!

Thank you!
You do realize you are posting in the York and Lancaster section right? Were really not going to be able to suggest things outside of this area.

So, can we help you with locations within this area? If so, we would be happy to help.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:08 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,384,781 times
OP, I would look into a place around Louisville, KY. It's a very nice area there, and doesn't have much in the way of oceans or mountains, and is affordable.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:59 PM

Thank you for your replies.

DaysofThundr - yes, I knew I was posting for that region. I have submitted this post for several different regions looking for feedback. I do know that there is a Del Webb community near Fort Mill, and I thought someone might know of a rental community near there that "piggy-backs" off of the Del Webb name - i.e., a rental community for seniors. If you know of anything of the sort, I would be grateful for the information. Mom and I are planning a trip to SC this weekend and will drive through that area.

topchief - thank you for the suggestion of Louisville. We are actually going to TN and KY the weekend of March 16-18 and will be looking in the Frankfurt/Lexington area. There are some small towns around there that look quite lovely (in photos, anyway).

Again, many thanks!

Old 02-28-2012, 11:08 PM

1,218 posts, read 2,801,921 times
Quote:
Thank you for your replies.

DaysofThundr - yes, I knew I was posting for that region. I have submitted this post for several different regions looking for feedback. I do know that there is a Del Webb community near Fort Mill, and I thought someone might know of a rental community near there that "piggy-backs" off of the Del Webb name - i.e., a rental community for seniors. If you know of anything of the sort, I would be grateful for the information. Mom and I are planning a trip to SC this weekend and will drive through that area.

topchief - thank you for the suggestion of Louisville. We are actually going to TN and KY the weekend of March 16-18 and will be looking in the Frankfurt/Lexington area. There are some small towns around there that look quite lovely (in photos, anyway).

Again, many thanks!
Yes, Sun City on the Fort Mill/Lancaster line. Ive been there and its very nice. Your pretty close to your neighbor though, but, most houses were all 1 floor. Plenty of walking trails, golf, tennis, pool, etc...

My mom is in Rock Hill, SC near Winthrop University. Her apt is quite nice and only $555 a month. I wouldnt put her in an area I didnt like, and the property manager is very nice.

I live in Fort Mill, and I like it here. Im in the Peach Place Apartments, which has 1 floor units. Most of those are lived in by older folks. We have a mix of 55+ and families with kids. Most everyone near me is older.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:27 AM

Great information, DaysofThundr - thank you!

Old 07-02-2012, 07:25 AM

2 posts, read 2,613 times
Moving to rock mill area to be near d and family. Need info re;rental unit for sr lady who has a cat. Need rental to be less than $600 including utilities.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:28 AM

As a follow up to those who responded to my original post back in February, my mother moved to Bardstown, KY in April. It is such a charming, historic, little town. Thank you all for your suggestions.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:52 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,384,781 times
Quote:
As a follow up to those who responded to my original post back in February, my mother moved to Bardstown, KY in April. It is such a charming, historic, little town. Thank you all for your suggestions.
I had to look it up, but I saw that it is near Louisville. It's just a nice little city, and it's right on the river. Glad she is somewhere she can be happy. The people there were very nice when we had visited.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:30 AM

425 posts, read 1,503,231 times
My parents just moved (2 years now) to Cornelius NC in an over 55 called Baileys Glen. The experince and neighborhood have been excellent. Much smaller then sun city and bigger lots but great amenities. There are both married and single homeowners. They do have a few spec houses that they rent out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties