Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2007, 10:02 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,221,036 times

Advertisements

I'm putting this information out there..kinda late...but anyone else headed out the the Van Wyck Festival (besides myself and the family)?

Saturday, September 8, 2007
10:00 AM – 4:00 PM

If you don't come tomorrow...who knows when you'll be back to Van Wyck again??

See Lancaster - SeeLancaster.org information about Lancaster South Carolina (http://seelancaster.net/reports/vanwyck9807.shtml - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 10:19 PM

392 posts, read 1,184,800 times
You DO know all the insider info. I have not been here very long but actually do know where Van Wyck is, so I have to pat self on back, right. Found it one day when driving around, trying out one of those backroads you like to promote. Knew about fest from signs in SE Rock Hill.

We are going to head to Van Wyck IF I decide against heading up to Durham for the Bull Durham Blues Fest. My fave band Booker T and the MGs is playing tomorrow night and I am dying to see them. Hmmm, Van Wyck or Booker T????

If you see a 5'5" brunette with long hair, Oprah-like curves, blue jeans, tortoiseshell Ray Bans - that's me. The shades will hide the circles from staying up so late posting here - LOL.

Old 09-08-2007, 08:00 AM

245 posts, read 1,020,772 times
I'm thinking about taking my girls to this today.

Old 09-08-2007, 02:40 PM

Well, I looked for you all out there and I didn't see ya (not sure...maybe I just missed you or something)?

It may not be a huge event...but that was fine with us...we really had a good time out there. Loved the scenery, food was very good (lots of homemade goodies), yard sale, music/live band, crafts (my children were able to watch a woman put the finishing touches on her Catawba Pottery...weaving pine needles onto the outer edge of her pottery piece), topped off with a nice car show.

We've already talked about going again next year (since we forgot to try the fried Moon Pies)!

Old 09-08-2007, 06:24 PM

Hi again, and thanks for looking for me, lovethecarolinas. We were there between about 12 and 2 pm and really enjoyed ourselves. It was a nice community fest, wasn't it? It was a great opportunity to support the Van Wyck community, their local churches and other causes.

Darn, how could I have missed the Catawba Pottery?? I learned at the fest that the natives pronounce it Van "Wike", then later in the day I read in The Herald (in story about Olympic Gold Medalist in T & F from Van Wyck) that folks from around there also pronounce it Van-Wack.

I thought it was a little gem of a fest and would definitely return again.

Old 09-08-2007, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanRoadGirl View Post
Hi again, and thanks for looking for me, lovethecarolinas. We were there between about 12 and 2 pm and really enjoyed ourselves. It was a nice community fest, wasn't it? It was a great opportunity to support the Van Wyck community, their local churches and other causes.

Darn, how could I have missed the Catawba Pottery?? I learned at the fest that the natives pronounce it Van "Wike", then later in the day I read in The Herald (in story about Olympic Gold Medalist in T & F from Van Wyck) that folks from around there also pronounce it Van-Wack.

I thought it was a little gem of a fest and would definitely return again.
Are you kidding me??? We got there around 10 and left just a little after 12:00. Maybe you saw the family and I afterall...I was the one circling around in the parking area...trying to figure how I was suppose to get out (not one of my brighter moments). Speaking of the parking area...was that someone's front yard or what?? (with the expansive home sitting in the back)....Wow!! Funny you bring up the Van-Wack as I was speaking to my Mom later in the day and she was telling me about her friend from church..who is a local of Van Wyck...saying that they have always referred to themselves as being from Van Wack.

Old 09-08-2007, 10:28 PM

Hey, just saw your post. Glad we weren't the only ones a little confused about the parking. Headed up a lane from the road, then, as we crossed street to community center, noticed what may have been supposed to be the "official" parking entrance. On the way out, we followed some guy and just headed up the grassy bank onto the main road, all the while saying to selves "are we allowed to do this?"

Sorry we missed ya. We'll shoot for another fest!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties