Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2007, 10:02 PM

238 posts, read 1,247,480 times

Advertisements

Last month we did our first serious look at homes in the Fort Mill/Indian Land/Tega Cay/Lake Wylie area. We are really excited that we have found the area that will become our new home! We looked at both new construction & resales.. Since we are from out of the area we aren't familiar with the builders in SC, can anyone offer from your own experience which builders you favor?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2007, 06:49 AM

390 posts, read 1,515,195 times
John Wieland, Saussy Burbank, Orleans. The jury is still out on Toll Brothers and Standard Pacific, but it's looking good. DH is in the trade, so this is based on his knowledge. I'm sure there are posters out there who can share their positive, personal experiences with other builders.

Old 09-10-2007, 07:00 AM

174 posts, read 732,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDR57 View Post
Last month we did our first serious look at homes in the Fort Mill/Indian Land/Tega Cay/Lake Wylie area. We are really excited that we have found the area that will become our new home! We looked at both new construction & resales.. Since we are from out of the area we aren't familiar with the builders in SC, can anyone offer from your own experience which builders you favor?
Thanks!
I had good luck with a home that Ryan Homes built for me in the Rock Hill/Lake Wylie area. All builders are at the mercy of their subcontractors, so you have to keep on top of the building process. Hire an inspector to check out the new home before you take delivery. If you guys are looking for a nice lakefront community on Lake Wylie near Rock Hill, check out mysunsetpoint.com. The homes are all built out in the community within the last year or so. We are going to be expanding our boat storage area in the near future, so if you have a boat you would have a spot to store it.

Old 09-10-2007, 09:01 PM

238 posts, read 1,247,480 times
The Saussy-Buubank homes we saw were very nice (both resale & new construction!)..they had a solid, well built feel & were nicely appointed... We also looked in the Bridgemill sub where the Wieland homes are, and felt they were good quality, too. It's nice to get a persective from someone who has experience in the business! Thank you. Any feedback on K. Hovnanian who is building in Shelley Woods?
Great point about the sub-contractors. I am learning that these guys can be the key to a quality home. It also seems like the "National" builders have mixed reputations in the different states they build in..I am guessing that the quality of the sub contractor & their workers is the difference.
We would love a brand new home but building from long distance is concerning. I think we would have to hire a home inspector to "supervise" each step if we go this route..Thanks for your opinions!

Old 09-11-2007, 11:27 AM

46 posts, read 210,928 times
Wieland builds a great home, with a fantastic warranty.
Sauusy builds a good home.
Orleans okay
Standard Pacific builds a great ranch.
Toll Brothers are fair.

It really depends on what you are looking for. For a great home with great service, few can compare with Wieland.

Edenmoor is a new subdivision in Indian Land with some really good builders, Standard Pacific and Bonterra Builders.

Old 11-08-2007, 02:56 PM

21 posts, read 78,042 times
Beware ... Orleans Builders has stopped paying Contractors in PA as of this week, and they are shutting down several area developments; several companies are pulling their equipment off the sites as I type this. This is a major red flag to me!!!

Old 11-09-2007, 07:54 PM

70 posts, read 218,048 times
stay away from cp morgan & d horton - you can do a search on the internet for both and find many pending law suits against them both. good luck

Old 11-12-2007, 06:36 PM

348 posts, read 1,360,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBXJunkie View Post
stay away from cp morgan & d horton - you can do a search on the internet for both and find many pending law suits against them both. good luck
I have to disagree here.
I built my home with CP Morgan. Entire process was smooth. No issues in the house, we've been in here since August.
Some people do not like/agree with their building process, however, my cooling bills were not high. It has been in the 30's outside in the mornings and has maintained above 70 in the house and I have not turned on the heat. So I'd say I'm well insulated.
Every builder has problems. I just did not with CP.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:52 PM

37 posts, read 158,361 times
My wife and I built a Standard Pacific Home in Rock Hill. We couldn't be happier. The experience was good and their construction quality was great. Here is a our review:

Standard Pacific Homes - Charlotte, NC | Reviews | Charlotte, NC | Neighborology

Honestly, though, I'm not sure if things have changed since the housing market troubles. I would definitely try to build with them again though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties