Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2010, 08:15 PM

1,218 posts, read 2,988,877 times

Advertisements

I sold my car, and now I still have my SC plate. Do I go to the DMV and hand it back in? Can I get a paper to go to the tax office to get the balance of my tax I paid back?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 11:05 AM

194 posts, read 748,406 times
Pretty sure you need to turn in tag if you are not going to transfer to another vehicle. You can call DMV or check out online and they can give you info. You need to contact your county about the vehicle taxes and let them know it is sold.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:51 PM

30 posts, read 177,954 times
Turn in tags to DMV. They will notify tax. You will not get a refund.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles94 View Post
Turn in tags to DMV. They will notify tax. You will not get a refund.
That SUCKS! Ha... the tax wasnt much so Im not too upset

Old 09-08-2010, 02:07 PM

14,454 posts, read 20,630,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaysofThundr46 View Post
I sold my car, and now I still have my SC plate. Do I go to the DMV and hand it back in? Can I get a paper to go to the tax office to get the balance of my tax I paid back?
my experience is you do get a refund on the un-used portion of the tags and license, and taxes.

turn in your tag in person in Fort Mill on Hwy. 21 in front of Bloom.
If your tag expired Sept 2010 and you turned it in this month, no, you may not get a refund.
I turned in two tags in June 2009 and the stickers on the tags were around October and December and I got a refund on both vehicles.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
my experience is you do get a refund on the un-used portion of the tags and license, and taxes.

turn in your tag in person in Fort Mill on Hwy. 21 in front of Bloom.
If your tag expired Sept 2010 and you turned it in this month, no, you may not get a refund.
I turned in two tags in June 2009 and the stickers on the tags were around October and December and I got a refund on both vehicles.
My plates dont expire until April of 2011. How did you get a refund? DId you take some documentation to the tax office?

Old 09-09-2010, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaysofThundr46 View Post
My plates dont expire until April of 2011. How did you get a refund? DId you take some documentation to the tax office?
Just take your tags to DMV and say you sold your car and turning in the tags. You'll get a refund send to you by check for everything you paid for the period Sept. 2010 to April 2011.
Just ask them about the refund:
the cost of the tags,
the yearly fee you paid on the stickers,
the property taxes,
the registration cost.

Go today!!

so Sept. 9th may be before April 9th, 2011 so you get a full 8 months prorated refund.

DMV across from Bloom grocery.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:55 AM

they know what you paid for everything, so you need no papers, they have all the papers and know what you paid for everything.

some of it is refundable.

I am very certain the property taxes are.....

and about 8 months of the cost you paid for the sticker and tag and registration.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:11 AM

well, I think tag stickers for the month, are good to the last day of the month, so you may have until Sept. 30th to turn tags in for April 30th 2011.

Old 05-16-2012, 02:41 PM

4 posts, read 40,311 times
Here is what the york county gov says
Basically, turn in your plate at the DMV, get form 5051 and make sure it states that the vehicle was sold.
Take the form to the auditor's office and they will issue a refund by mail

http://www.yorkcountygov.com/Departm...icleTaxes.aspx

You may be eligible for a refund of property taxes if......

you sell your vehicle before the tag expires as long as you are not transferring the tag to a new vehicle. To apply for a refund, you must return your license plate to the Deparment of Motor Vehicles and get a Form 5051 from them. This form must state the vehicle is sold. If not, you will need to provide the name and address of the new owner as well as the date the vehicle was sold. We will need this information to process your refund request. You may bring it in, fax it in, or mail it to the Auditor's Office.
If you have moved out of state and would like to request a refund, we will need a Form 5051 from the South Carolina DMV showing your tag has been returned along with a copy of the new state registration. You must mail this information to our office and we will send your prorated refund to your new address.
You should receive your refund within three weeks after your request has been made. If you turn in a license plate for a vehicle that you still own, you are not eligible for a refund.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties