Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2012, 12:41 PM

2 posts, read 5,610 times

Advertisements

We are living in Florida and looking to relocate to either Fort Mill/Tega Cay SC or Pickens/Greenville SC area? We love the county and people in these areas, but as we are retiring, we are looking for an active community. Any suggestions???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 01:00 PM

87 posts, read 207,187 times
By an "active community" do you mean one with lots of recreation or a community that is active adult (55+)?

Old 04-19-2012, 02:06 PM

207 posts, read 566,129 times
"Baxter Village" in Fort Mill is very nice. Lot's of places you can get to by walking or a golf cart if you have one.

Tega Cay is very nice also. It's like living on vacation all the time. Nice golf course, swim club, lots of walking paths... a lake for boating. Only about 15 miles from Uptown Charlotte.

There is a 55+ area in Fort Mill off of Gold Hill Rd. Also off of 521 in Lancaster is Sun City which is very nice too!

Lot's of options in this area

Old 04-21-2012, 10:24 AM

269 posts, read 1,057,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara N Mel SC bound View Post
We are living in Florida and looking to relocate to either Fort Mill/Tega Cay SC or Pickens/Greenville SC area? We love the county and people in these areas, but as we are retiring, we are looking for an active community. Any suggestions???
I moved from Tampa to Fort Mill about 5 years ago - we LOVE it. Very friendly locals, and most transplants don't know many people and are looking to make friends. I'm just about a recluse if left to my own devises, but you can't help but end up engaged in a pleasant conversation when out and about. A BIG change from where I started in the NE where people barely grunted or made eye contact when you encountered them. It takes some time to get used to complete strangers waving to you, or cashier's asking about your plans for the day, but you'll get used to it.

As far as active - there are ALL kinds of things to do at all times. This is a very activity-centric area where you'll constantly see people jogging by, driving with bikes or canoes on their car, there's lots of great restaurants, live music, touring Broadway productions only 25 minutes away in CLT. In addition, the local chambers of commerce really spend some money and time to improve the quality of life for the communities.

Old 04-22-2012, 03:39 PM

2 posts, read 5,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christin M View Post
By an "active community" do you mean one with lots of recreation or a community that is active adult (55+)?
Not necessarily looking for 55+. We enjoy listening to bands, outdoor events, that sort of entertainment.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:17 PM

259 posts, read 798,160 times
I have found this is a very active area to move to. I am much busier here than I was up north!!

I want to suggest to you to look into the newcomers group where ever you move. There is a very active one here (newcomersofyorkcounty.org). It is an organization of women in the area but they have a number of activities that encourage spouses to attend also. It is a great way to meet new people and also to get used to the geography of a new area!!

Good luck with your decision.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:49 PM

87 posts, read 207,187 times
You will find plenty to do in the Fort Mill/Tega Cay area. Whether it be boating on Lake Wylie, playing golf, or taking a hike in Anne Springs Close Greenway- there are lots of recreational activities in the area.

Since you like listening to bands and outdoor activities, you should look into the nearby US National Whitewater Center. It is an amazing place and they do a lot of great activities throughout the year. Once a week throughout the spring and summer they have a live music event.

Whitewater Rafting, Canopy Tour, Zip-Lines, Climbing, Mountain Biking, Flatwater Kayaking, Ropes Courses, Eco Trekking. USNWC | Charlotte, NC

Greenville is an awesome place too. Either pick would be a great one. Good luck with your decision and I think you will find South Carolina is a fantastic place to live.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:38 AM

5 posts, read 7,489 times
Default tega cay

Just returned from looking for a home. we opted for Lake Shore versus Baxter Village, only because the lots in Baxter were very small. We wanted a larger backyard for our kiddos, but love, love both areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties