Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 03:20 PM

37 posts, read 85,472 times

Advertisements

Hello- We are trying to relocate to Fort Mill since husband is entertaining a job offer there. I am so confused on this school freeze thing. If we move into a house that is "frozen" they send us somewhere else. But what happens when his home school unfreezes? Do they move him again or let him stay? Also we will have two more coming up the pipeline- one starting K the following year. Will we be placed in the same school at his brother? I dont want to be doing two drop offs and pickups. Do you get bus service if your school is not the zoned one?
Other problem is we probably will rent for three months while our Atlanta house sells as I don't think I want to live here and show it at the same time with three kids trying to keep it clean, too stressful so we decided to leave all furniture here and get there before school year starts. Then take our time and pick the right neighborhood but I am also worried about then what school to sign up for as we would have to rent where we want to buy if we know. If we dont know we have to move schools again?

Are all the elementary schools considered equal? I dont want to buy a house in good elementary school zone but get forced to one that is not as good. Thanks for any imput.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 03:41 PM

13 posts, read 26,649 times
We were frozen out of a school our first year here. I'll tell you how it worked for us (never know if the procedure will change down the road).

Our kids were shuttled to and from another school within Fort Mill. The shuttle service had them arriving on average 15 minutes later in the morning and leaving 15 minutes earlier than other students. This is because they are picked up by the bus for their frozen ,school and then all the kids that have been frozen out are shuttled (and vice versa in the afternoon). I found that occasionally my kids were behind the 8 ball due to the shuttle service and missing those 15 minutes on each end of the day that other kids had to prepare for the day & pack up. For example, on more than one occasion, they were penalized for not having done an assignment that was later discovered to have been handed out after they left for the day. Yes, I had the option of driving them to/from school so they wouldn't miss that time, but it didn't work for our family to do so.

At the end of the first year, we were given the choice to switch to our frozen school or stay at the other school (this is the part that I can't gurantee how it will work in the future). As for your kindergartener, it is my understanding that they allow the kindergarten students into the frozen school, maybe they think the shuttle would be too much for the younger kids. So you would need to work with the school as to whether you want your older kids moved when your youngest enters school or if you want them to stay where they are.

As for whether all Fort Mill schools are created equally, I don't believe they are. Not trying to start a big debate; it's just my opinion. Obviously, some differences are to be expected, just as a difference would be expected in two third grades across the hall from each other with different teachers. However, talking with parents in the various Fort Mill schools, there does not appear to be a standardized curriculum, which in my opinion there should be one standard curriculum in a district.

Old 06-10-2012, 05:30 PM

351 posts, read 657,059 times
I can't help you with the frozen issue, as where we live there hasn't been an issue with that yet. I'm sure there are minor differences in some of the schools, but as a whole, you are in the top school district in the state, so I don't think you can go wrong with whichever school your children end up zoned. We moved here 6 months ago and my 3 kids tell me they all love their schools better than what we had back home.

And welcome from the ATL. We used to live 45 miles NW of ATL and my DH commuted everyday. Not fun.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:31 PM

17 posts, read 45,862 times
The whole thing is rather confusing to outsiders isn't it? I called the school district and to be honest even the lady who answered the phone seemed confused. I asked if there was a wait list and she said "no, there's a freeze!" I guess I just thought that if a child left the school, then they would go down the wait list and let children transfer in according to their number on the wait list. I talked to a realtor who thought maybe the freeze would be lifted over the summer. My husband talked to a realtor who said the freeze will last another 12 months. Honestly, it has me very concerned. They've had freezes since 2007 from what I can tell but there doesn't appear to be a process in place to handle? Or perhaps there is, but nobody knows what that process is.

Old 06-11-2012, 04:35 AM

13 posts, read 26,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellgreen View Post
My husband talked to a realtor who said the freeze will last another 12 months. Honestly, it has me very concerned. They've had freezes since 2007 from what I can tell but there doesn't appear to be a process in place to handle? Or perhaps there is, but nobody knows what that process is.
There is something about if you move in late spring through June, you get into the frozen school, so the realtor may have been thinking about that. The freeze gets lifted at that time, but then put back on. As of right now, there are two elementary schools that are going to be built and (hopefully) open for the 2014/15 school year, at which time the freezes would end.

It does seem that you can talk to five different people and get five different answers, and maybe that's because of some of the exceptions to the rule, like if you have a kindergartener or if you move in certain times of the year. The best person to speak with for the most accurate information may be the superintendent of the district.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:47 AM

6 posts, read 9,180 times
My husbands job is relocating him to FM in the next month. I am really worried about this whole "freeze." In Michigan, they do not freeze schools, so I am loving any information I find on this. We have not been down for our house hunting visit, but hope that HR gets moving quick so we can be down in the next few weeks. We were looking at Baxter Village, but I am not going to even look there now. I really don't like the idea of having a neighborhood split. On paper, the reassigned school doesn't look as good. We were also looking at Springfield, but am now leaning towards not even looking at houses in FM and heading up to Union County. Any opinions on that? I will have a third grader and first grader in school next year.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:36 AM

261 posts, read 480,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtoFM View Post
but am now leaning towards not even looking at houses in FM and heading up to Union County. Any opinions on that?
Do you not want to look at houses in Fort Mill based on the school situation? As it stands now, three out of seven elementary schools are frozen with two new elementary schools slated to be open for the 2014-2015 school year. Also at that time the attendance lines for all schools will be redrawn. According to the Fort Mill School District's website we are the fastest growing school district in South Carolina. I feel that the school board has done a great job managing the schools student/teacher ratios given that this area has seen massive growth in the last 10-15 years.

I, personally, don't have a problem with freezing schools or attendance lines being redrawn. The reason for freezing schools is to keep the student to teacher ratio at an acceptable level. Unlike many school districts in this area I don't see any (or at least very few) temporary classrooms like I see at most of the North Carolina schools. And, honestly, those temporary classrooms become permanent.

If you choose to live in North Carolina as opposed to South Carolina you will pay higher taxes. But that is a choice you will have to make as a family. If you would like to say in South Carolina you could always look at Indian Land. Several of my friend's children attend Indian Land Elementary and are very pleased with it. They are also building a new elementary school to ease over crowding there as well.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:41 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,994,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtoFM View Post
My husbands job is relocating him to FM in the next month. I am really worried about this whole "freeze." In Michigan, they do not freeze schools, so I am loving any information I find on this. We have not been down for our house hunting visit, but hope that HR gets moving quick so we can be down in the next few weeks. We were looking at Baxter Village, but I am not going to even look there now. I really don't like the idea of having a neighborhood split. On paper, the reassigned school doesn't look as good. We were also looking at Springfield, but am now leaning towards not even looking at houses in FM and heading up to Union County. Any opinions on that? I will have a third grader and first grader in school next year.
Be careful if you look in some fast growing areas outside of FM - they may put the kids in trailors instead of instituting a freeze. I like how FM is handling it. I don't know how Union does it.

I'm from MI too - the reason they don't do freezes there is because a lot of people left!

If your husband is working in Fort Mill you should strongly consider making it work there. It is a nice place to live.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:56 PM

19 posts, read 72,841 times
One good thing about the Fort Mill School District (and this is speaking as someone who attended FM schools and has relatives who have children in this district) is the fact that there really are no "bad" schools that your kids could get stuck attending, and they are all within a relatively close vicinity to each other. I have some friends in more rural areas of S. Carolina whose children are being sent on buses to schools that are 20 miles away... this will not happen to your kids in FM. Is the freezing a hassle? Certainly, but I think you will find they are handling it the best they can. These schools are great and your kids will be welcomed with open arms.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:23 AM

2,309 posts, read 3,855,281 times
this frozen thing is really pretty simple folks. say you've got 1,000 kids living within a reasonable distance of a school. said school can only enroll 750 of that 1,000 due to things like i dunno building capacity. you have to freeze that school regardlss of the attendance zone and ship the 250 somewhere else. this is what happens in districts that grow too fast.

if you're ever in mount pleasant (outside charleston) drive over to wando high school if you wanna see what a school looks like that has grown A LOT really fast. they have something like 30 portable classrooms outside the main facility last time i counted. it's insane.

and the reason schools in the midwest don't do this? because no one is moving there at the rate of 1,000 families a year! :-). i should know i grew up in a little dying rust belt town in northwest ohio :-).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties