U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2012, 03:04 PM

37 posts, read 78,850 times

Advertisements

Help- relocating to FM from Atlanta with three kids ages 20 months, 4 and 7. Just did a blitz day driving around in Tega Cay, Fort Mill and Marvin to get ideas of which area to concentrate on. Job is in Fort Mill. We did not care for Baxter Village at all, Lake Shore, Anchorage Ashford on the Water, Sutton Place. We fell in love with Springfield but it is out of our price range at the current moment. We can afford the Lennar portion of it but would be getting a smaller and cheaper house from where we are coming from. We need a family friendly subdivision with pool in the $400-500 range with 5 bedrooms ideally. Also prefer not to be zoned for any of the frozen elementary schools. I seemed to see a lot of this over in Marvin but could not locate it in Fort Mill. Any suggestions???? I know DH would rather not commute if we can help it from Marvin. Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 04:55 PM

26 posts, read 106,575 times
have you looked into Indian Land? If your budget is $400K + then you can consider JW homes in Bridgemill Subdivision. They have good Pool, Gym, clubhouse. Your DH will have 15min drive to Fort Mill.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:18 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,360,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvThisWorld View Post
have you looked into Indian Land? If your budget is $400K + then you can consider JW homes in Bridgemill Subdivision. They have good Pool, Gym, clubhouse. Your DH will have 15min drive to Fort Mill.
I second this!

Old 06-18-2012, 05:50 PM

Are those Fort Mill Schools? I was told they were not as good????

Old 06-18-2012, 06:07 PM

261 posts, read 439,298 times
Did you happen to look at the part of Fort Mill down Doby's Bridge Road? There are several subdivisions that you might be interested in taking a look at such as Massey, The Forest at Fort Mill, Beckenham, Oxford Place East and Oxford Place West. Also take a look at the Spring Branch subdivision off of Nim's Lake as well as the homes on Nauvasse Trail. You might also try driving down Holbrook Road off of Doby's Bridge and see if there is anything that might appeal to you.

All of the above would be in the Fort Mill Elementary area which is not frozen and for the 2014-2015 school year a new school will open somewhere along Doby's Bridge Road.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:25 PM

Thank you! We did not see this area at all so these look more promising. We only have two paid trips to find a house so I am doing as much from here as possible. These look much better.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:29 PM

19 posts, read 67,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curacao08 View Post
Are those Fort Mill Schools? I was told they were not as good????
People move here for the FM schools because they are so great (among the best in the state and ranked high nationally)... not sure what you have been told.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:36 PM

Clarification- I have a family friend that has lived in Indian Land for 7 years and are actually moving to Fort Mill proper because she needed a "good school district". This to me meant that there was a big difference and the fact that she lived there for 7 years she knew her stuff. They have three kids under 8 so I assume this was a big enough reason to move across town at the very least gave me the impression Fort Mill was better???? And lets be honest, in my research everyone is touting the "great Fort Mill Schools" but I have not once read anywhere about the "Great Indian Land Schools", not once. I dont live there yet so I am just trying to understand but if I have 400-500 to put somewhere where schools are important, my impression was to goto FM. I also have kids in the accelerated program here in Atlanta's best school district so it is important to me to make the right decision from a school point of view first, second the material wants in a house.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:44 PM

19 posts, read 67,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curacao08 View Post
Clarification- I have a family friend that has lived in Indian Land for 7 years and are actually moving to Fort Mill proper because she needed a "good school district". This to me meant that there was a big difference and the fact that she lived there for 7 years she knew her stuff. They have three kids under 8 so I assume this was a big enough reason to move across town at the very least gave me the impression Fort Mill was better???? And lets be honest, in my research everyone is touting the "great Fort Mill Schools" but I have not once read anywhere about the "Great Indian Land Schools", not once. I dont live there yet so I am just trying to understand but if I have 400-500 to put somewhere where schools are important, my impression was to goto FM. I also have kids in the accelerated program here in Atlanta's best school district so it is important to me to make the right decision from a school point of view first, second the material wants in a house.
Okay, that makes more sense. I moved to FM from a rigorous school with a great Honors program when I was in high school and was just as challenged; some of my friends with whom I attended college told me that their Honors programs were basically a joke at their other schools in SC. Indian Land is a more rural school with less resources, and while I haven't ever heard anything really bad about IL, I've never heard anything good, either. Best of luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties