Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2012, 05:01 PM

5 posts, read 18,717 times

Advertisements

I have several questions regarding The fort mill/lancaster area. I hope someone could give me some answers.
please

1. How are the schools close to Bridge mill subdivision
2. what are the nearest day care and are there ones that cover special programs for kids 2+ years (e.g. curriculum with writing and different languages, etc.)

3. My daughter is very much into languages : would love for her to participate into the language emergent school in Charlotte: would it be possible to join these while living in SC side.

4. What is the current traffic situation with the road 521? Is it very difficult to get in and out? How is the traffic developing?
5. Living in SC : how is it to participate in some of the things and NC.. is it difficult
6. How is the governing people in SC : are they open to change
7. Any one live in bridgemill: What do you guys like about it.
8. Is bridgemill in fort mill or lancaster
9. The new elimentary that is been build , would it be zone for kids in Bridgemill

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 05:43 AM

218 posts, read 523,203 times
Welcome to the neighborhood!!! I'll answer what I can for ya.

1. How are the schools close to Bridge mill subdivision. Indian Land Schools are good but not as good as Fort Mill. They are going to build a new elementary that is off of Harrisburg rd, which will be very close to the neighborhood.

2. what are the nearest day care and are there ones that cover special programs for kids 2+ years (e.g. curriculum with writing and different languages, etc.) The closest daycare is Field of Dreams near the Lowes. There is also another small place on 160 called Burbee Place. We know several families that have their kids at Field of Dreams and they like it. They do start a curriculum at age 2 I believe. We are thinking of taking our son there.

3. My daughter is very much into languages : would love for her to participate into the language emergent school in Charlotte: would it be possible to join these while living in SC side. If it's a montessori or religious school then yes.

4. What is the current traffic situation with the road 521? Is it very difficult to get in and out? How is the traffic developing? 521 can get pretty conjested but it really depends on the time of day. It gets the worst during the afternoon commute. Are you moving into the front or the back of the neighborhood? It is hard at times to make a left out of the main entrance. The back entrance off Possom Hollow is much easier. That takes you to 160 and then 521.

5. Living in SC : how is it to participate in some of the things and NC.. is it difficult? Not difficult at all, we do tons of stuff in Charlotte. You are 10-15 away from so much shopping and dining in Ballantyne and Blakney.

6. How is the governing people in SC : are they open to change? That depends on what you want changed I suppose My quick answer is no.

7. Any one live in bridgemill: What do you guys like about it? The neighborhood is great, lots of families with kids and the pool is very nice. We've been there for over 4 years now. Only reason we might move is to get into a bigger house.

8. Is bridgemill in fort mill or lancaster? BM is in Lancaster county, don't get confused by the Fort Mill connection. Indian Land used to not have it's own zip code, so they used a Fort Mill one. We have our own now, 29707.

9. The new elimentary that is been build , would it be zone for kids in Bridgemill? Yes I believe so.

Let me know if you have any more questions. Welcome to the hood, maybe we'll run into each other.

Old 07-05-2012, 05:59 AM

28 posts, read 77,805 times
Since I live in Bridge Mill, I can answer some of your questions.

First of all, the schools are about 3 miles away from here. That would be Indian Land Elementary, Middle and High Schools. Since I don't have children, I can't answer an specific questions about Day Care and things like that.

The population here in Indian Land, SC has more than doubled in the last decade; we have gone from about 9,500 to almost 20,000. That being said, Lancaster County is still a predominately rural county, with the exception of the Northern Panhandle as is called, known as Indian Land. Bridge Mill Subdivision is located in Fort Mill Township but in Lancaster County.

Indian Land is unique in it's geography of Lancaster County because it has taken on the flavor of the South Charlotte/Ballantyne area. It has a more suburban look and feel as compared to the southern part of Lancaster County. That means that basically Charlotte is spilling over into South Carolina via the 521 corridor.

Since the 521 is the main artery through Indian Land and on to the city of Lancaster, you might think that traffic could be bad. Since the traffic lights are spread out fairly far apart there isn't a residual "back-up" that could cause a traffic jam. Also, because the 521 is a 4 lane highway (2 lanes going each way) with a speed limit of 55, things move along quickly. In other words, the 521 with it's 55 mile-per-hour speed limit, can currently handle the amount of traffic going north (into Charlotte) and south heading towards Lancaster, SC. In answer to your question, in Bridge Mill, you don't usually have trouble getting on the 521 except for rush hour traffic, and even then you don't have to wait and wait....

The main reason for that is because most of the folks who live in the Panhandle are probably going north into Charlotte for work, dining etc. The folks heading south on the 521 are many of the same folks heading home or through-truck traffic heading to points south. As I mentioned earlier, the population of Indian Land is only about 20,000 people, and Lancaster, SC is only about 8,500 -- there isn't much reason for people from Charlotte to come down here, except for cheap gasoline. By the way, it is about 20 miles to Charlotte city center.

I could write a book about governing in South Carolina but space is limited. If you are a civically-minded person, you should get to know what's going on in your neighborhood. One thing I can tell you is that it's not easy to change things no matter where you live.

We just got a new County Council District here in Indian Land to represent us in Lancaster; we now have Districts 1 and 7. There used to be only 6 County Council Districts here in Lancaster County but because of the population growth (I mentioned earlier) we just voted in our new Council Member in June.

You asked a few other questions about Bridge Mill that you could personally message me if you like and I'd be happy to discuss anything else you would like.

I hope that helps.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:51 PM

5 posts, read 18,717 times
Thank you so much for such great informations

Old 07-05-2012, 08:54 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,872,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonsaisable View Post
Since the 521 is the main artery through Indian Land and on to the city of Lancaster, you might think that traffic could be bad. Since the traffic lights are spread out fairly far apart there isn't a residual "back-up" that could cause a traffic jam. Also, because the 521 is a 4 lane highway (2 lanes going each way) with a speed limit of 55, things move along quickly. In other words, the 521 with it's 55 mile-per-hour speed limit, can currently handle the amount of traffic going north (into Charlotte) and south heading towards Lancaster, SC. In answer to your question, in Bridge Mill, you don't usually have trouble getting on the 521 except for rush hour traffic, and even then you don't have to wait and wait....
I live in Sun City....just down the road and I agree with 98% of bonsaisable, except for the above quote. 521 is not 55 the entire way. It is 45 from the NC border down to just past the light at the Exxon near Lowe's. Then it is 55 but only until right before City of Light, then it is 45 again. Doesn't turn 55 again until past Sun City a ways. Now, I'm not saying that people actually GO 45 in there ......but just saying that's what it is set to be. And I have seen people pulled over by the locals, but usually it almost looks as though they do a big thing for a couple of days and then go back to not watching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties