U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-04-2012, 08:19 AM
 
12,516 posts, read 17,411,409 times
Reputation: 6634

Advertisements

I have neighbors who think their cat is bringing home mice from my yard.
I have neighbors who's grass was knee high, until it got cut Sunday. They are tenants so you have a situation where the landlord may not give a hoot, and the tenant may not give a hoot.
Today, the code enforcement office came out and said they had a complaint that my back yard needed to be cut. I'm disabled and income below poverty level. I can not cut grass or afford to pay.
I got some cross ties and decided to shorten my back yard by about 60%.
I maintain the 40% closest to the house and I let the rest behind the cross ties, go it's way.

The City says I can not put up a fence in my backyard to decrease the size of my yard, unless I maintain what is behind the fence.
I already have a 6 foot wooden fence that goes around my entire back yard.
No one can see the growth in the back 60% unless that can stand high enough to look over the 6 foot fence.

So, the complaint must have come from the cat owner, or the people who also had a visit from the code dept. about their grass, which borders the sidewalks.
Mine is behind a 6 foot fence. The growth back there is roughly knee high and represents close to 2 years of growth, so weeds do not grow to the sky, they stop at a certain point and do not get any higher.

Anyone had any experiences like this?

I was going to put up a fence and forget that back 60% of my back yard.
It's totally fenced in and the growth can not, and does not, bother anyone, except those who desire to be a butt and complain.

Thanks.

Last edited by howard555; 09-04-2012 at 09:12 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-04-2012, 09:12 AM
 
396 posts, read 915,728 times
Reputation: 301
Unfortunately, I would be one of the "butts" who complained if I lived near someone not taking care of their lawn. I'm not saying that to be mean. I do empathize your situation. Is there no chance of a neighborhood teen cutting it twice a month for you for a nominal fee? Or could you trade a service for a service? Like have someone cut your grass twice a month and you use a skill you have, like maybe cpmputer skills for example, in trade for the work? Long grass does attract critters, which could end up in people's homes. So, on that end, people have a right to complain. I do feel for you. It's a tough situation. If you can't upkeep your property - it may be time to re-think your living situation. I sincerely don't mean that in a harsh way. Just looking fpr options. Perhaps a relative could help you. I hope you find a solution that makes everyone happy. God bless!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2012, 10:01 AM
 
12,516 posts, read 17,411,409 times
Reputation: 6634
Quote:
Originally Posted by plotzonit View Post
Unfortunately, I would be one of the "butts" who complained if I lived near someone not taking care of their lawn. I'm not saying that to be mean. I do empathize your situation. Is there no chance of a neighborhood teen cutting it twice a month for you for a nominal fee? Or could you trade a service for a service? Like have someone cut your grass twice a month and you use a skill you have, like maybe cpmputer skills for example, in trade for the work? Long grass does attract critters, which could end up in people's homes. So, on that end, people have a right to complain. I do feel for you. It's a tough situation. If you can't upkeep your property - it may be time to re-think your living situation. I sincerely don't mean that in a harsh way. Just looking fpr options. Perhaps a relative could help you. I hope you find a solution that makes everyone happy. God bless!
I can cut my front yard in two pieces, over two days, it's so small.
The back was a problem. I put the cross ties down and never thought that the part behind the 6 foot fence would bother anyone.

I have 7 days to get it cut. I plan to do it on the weekend. It should not need cutting again until spring, since the code officer said the allowable height was 12 inches. My mower blade is near ground level.
I plan to make it easier by using gloves and pull most of it up, by the roots.
Out of that part of the back yard, if I pull up the 30 tallest ones, the rest is not too tall.
I don't know the name of the plant, but they can be pulled up with one hand and little effort.
That is easier than trying to use a mower on the tall plants.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2012, 11:46 AM
 
Location: Aiken, South Carolina, US of A
1,794 posts, read 4,472,819 times
Reputation: 3653
Howard,
After you cut the grass, consider planitng some cheap trees back there that will shade
the area and the grass won't grow anymore.
Then in the fall, just mow them over with the mower, you don't have to rake them,
they will be mulch for the trees for the winter.
You don't need the hassle of grass, and without sun, there is no grass.
Just do a litle at a time, every day. Just until you start hurting.
Little by little, the job will be all done.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2012, 01:17 PM
 
12,516 posts, read 17,411,409 times
Reputation: 6634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly4u View Post
Howard,
After you cut the grass, consider planitng some cheap trees back there that will shade
the area and the grass won't grow anymore.
Then in the fall, just mow them over with the mower, you don't have to rake them,
they will be mulch for the trees for the winter.
You don't need the hassle of grass, and without sun, there is no grass.
Just do a litle at a time, every day. Just until you start hurting.
Little by little, the job will be all done.
Good idea.

I've seen the code enforcer in the neighborhood several times the last week or two.
They drive slow, then stop, etc.
Unless you look over my fence, you can not tell whether I have grass or concrete.
I'm sure the inspector took a look when I was not home. If a neighbor did, then they could have told me about it, versus complaining or tresspassing. I have 2 giant pecan trees and the grass is not a problem. I just ignored that back area on the back side of the cross ties, for the last 1.5 years.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2012, 01:56 PM
 
595 posts, read 1,513,364 times
Reputation: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
I have 7 days to get it cut. I plan to do it on the weekend. It should not need cutting again until spring, since the code officer said the allowable height was 12 inches. My mower blade is near ground level.
I plan to make it easier by using gloves and pull most of it up, by the roots.
If it was me, I would just spray the whole area with Roundup and everything will be dead in a few days. If you spray it once or twice a year, you probably won't ever need to mow it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2012, 02:52 PM
 
193 posts, read 241,679 times
Reputation: 88
I second the trees idea. I went the other way actually... we had 17+ trees in our backyard and nothing grew on 2/3 of it. We had them cut down and now have all grass.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2012, 03:35 PM
 
12,516 posts, read 17,411,409 times
Reputation: 6634
Quote:
Originally Posted by DipDog3 View Post
If it was me, I would just spray the whole area with Roundup and everything will be dead in a few days. If you spray it once or twice a year, you probably won't ever need to mow it.
Good idea #2.

I have enough problems with the pecan trees, I do not need more trees. There are 4 other trees (2 outside my fence and 2 inside at the rear) that allow almost no sun to my back yard = weeds only 12-18 inches after two seasons of no mowing.
The pecan trees shed something year round. I'd heard the green pecans hit the roof every few minutes for weeks. Finally they are on the ground and have stained the hood of my truck. The pecan trees shed these small, crooked in 2 places, foot long trigs, year round. Then the spring brings the pollen things off the pecan trees.
I guess the green pecans versus the actual nuts themselves, are bi-annual. Last year it was brown shelled pecans you'd pick, or buy, hitting the roof and ground. They were rather small though. So small, I saw a squirrel pass them up as too small. Nothing like the plump healthy looking pecans you buy in the store.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2012, 04:13 PM
 
Location: Rock Hill
157 posts, read 351,710 times
Reputation: 71
My next door neighbors didn't cut their backyard, either. My cats were bringing in large rats from their yard. Someone (not me) complained several times. They cut it now, and no rats!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2012, 07:25 AM
 
12,516 posts, read 17,411,409 times
Reputation: 6634
I'm in my back yard alot, and never seen any animal at all. Squirrels in the trees is it. The neighbors cat likes to sleep under my truck. I see the cat coming and going and never seen a rodent. If the cat is gathering these mice at night, then no, I won't see it and the cat owner won't either. The back of the lot beside me that fronts the road, is well over knee high. That is not my lot. The cat may be getting mice there.
My back yard is low as far as grass due to all the trees. Then there are these unknown plants that are real skinny and grow over 18 inches. A child could pull one up with one hand. They are not thickly grown and scattered around. If those were not there, the rest would look like it had been cut with a high mower blade.
I'll post a photo over the weekend after I cut half of it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top