U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 03:44 PM

12,975 posts, read 18,027,301 times

Advertisements

What % is used to calculate the Catawba Services Franchise Fee?

Last edited by howard555; 10-09-2012 at 04:44 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 12:02 PM

193 posts, read 248,777 times
Who knows... just another way for them to grab more money. Just like Verizon with all their recovery fee, federal fee, etc.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phareous View Post
Who knows... just another way for them to grab more money. Just like Verizon with all their recovery fee, federal fee, etc.
They do not even charge tax on the internet package.

On the cable TV the "extras" with tax is over $8.00, so $51.90 turns into over $60.00. Basic and Basic Plus.

There are very vague rumors that one of these days, we'll be able to pay X dollars for a certain package and then be able to pay X for a specific number of channels we might want without the rest. There is only one channel I would want out of the digital variety pack. I asked CS if this "pay for a channel" (example 99 cents per month extra) would become reality and they said maybe 5-10 years, before someone forces them to do it. The competition or the laws governing cable TV.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:18 PM

10,085 posts, read 10,297,575 times
I've never heard of 'pay for a channel' ... but I assure you if that does happen it will be 25+ years or more before Comporium will make such a change ... and they will get away with the delays. For years Charlotte and other areas of South Carolina had push button dial phones ... we were years behind ... still had rotary dial and then when they did go with push button it was like rotary still when you pushed a number.

Catawba Services was established in the late 1960's ... another Barnes venture... there is still a Barnes that is President of CS. Today they are pulling in millions of dollars annually through Catawba Services. That is how their first cable TV services was offered and then they changed the name to Rock Hill Cable Co and eventually Comporium.

I have no idea what the franchise fee would be ... call Comporium and ask them.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:40 AM

595 posts, read 1,531,724 times
From My Bill:
Catawba Services Franchise Fee $4.81
It looks to be about 5%

Old 10-11-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DipDog3 View Post
From My Bill:
Catawba Services Franchise Fee $4.81
It looks to be about 5%
It was $2.25 on my bill.
I'm not sure if that is a % on the cable package (or on the cable packages & the regulatory fee & station fee)
$2.25 / $39.95 = 5.632%
$2.25 / $42.82 = 5.254%
Those are rather odd percentages to be using.
The % must be coming from somewhere.
I'll give them a call and ask.
5.632% and 5.254% = ?? (why not 5.0%, or 5.5%, or 6.0%, so as to be more clear what it is)
Maybe it is some variable rate.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:25 AM

Ha.......Comporium does not know.

They are as bad as Romney and Ryan. They have a plan but won't tell you the details or numbers.

They said it is like a tax = vague.
I pointed out that most taxes are x% such as sales tax = 7%.
They said it is based on what cable packages you have and where you live.
I'll contact the CSFA.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:12 PM

47 posts, read 118,957 times
Default Comporium - email issues

I know that someone already started a thread on the above but I am still having issues with my Comporium email service. I know they were upgrading or something to that affect but this is going on 2 weeks now. Am I the only one with issues?

Old 10-12-2012, 03:42 PM

10,085 posts, read 10,297,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post

They are as bad as Romney and Ryan. They have a plan but won't tell you the details or numbers.

They said it is like a tax = vague.
I pointed out that most taxes are x% such as sales tax = 7%.
They said it is based on what cable packages you have and where you live.
I'll contact the CSFA.
Did you really expect them to tell you??? Actually most of the employees now, don't know what it is ... it was incorporated in South Carolina in the 60's ... so I assume when Rock Hill Telephone and Rock Hill Cable Company added the internet and other services and changed their name and incorporated under the name of Comporium they did not include Catawba Services. Catawba Services is not mentioned on their website at all.

Old 10-13-2012, 09:36 AM

2,532 posts, read 3,199,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post

Just like Obama told us about a change, which to date hasn't happened. Ah Politics. Aren't they fun.

Quote:
On the cable TV the "extras" with tax is over $8.00, so $51.90 turns into over $60.00. Basic and Basic Plus.
13% tax... don't look at some of your other bills...

Quote:
There are very vague rumors that one of these days, we'll be able to pay X dollars for a certain package and then be able to pay X for a specific number of channels we might want without the rest. There is only one channel I would want out of the digital variety pack. I asked CS if this "pay for a channel" (example 99 cents per month extra) would become reality and they said maybe 5-10 years, before someone forces them to do it. The competition or the laws governing cable TV.
You have to get all the meda giants on board. Don't see that moving forward anytime soon. Look Viacom held DirecTV hostage because DirecTV only wanted the big name channels from Viacom like Nickelodeon and didn't want to pay extra to carry channels like Spike. Even if the media giants decided to allow this, do you really think your bill would go down? It potentially would be even higher. They would put huge premiums on ESPN, AMC, Nickelodeon, etc. and give cheap value to Fuse, Game Show Network, TruTV, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>