Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 11:18 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,213,523 times

Advertisements

I went to Plaza Fiesta for the first time yesterday (since the change-over) and have to say....I was not impressed.

While they do have the most incredible climing gym located within and the store fronts are rather unique....I didn't get a good feel that this was going to be something that would be around for years to come.

First of all there are still many vacant store fronts, the eating establishments (one of the main reasons why we went there was we felt like Mexican Food) well???...we ended up eating at Tony's Pizza (which was good...but more than I would have liked to pay). The stores (again IMO) are filled with junk. I only saw one storefront that had Mexican sweet bread. But on the plus side there is a place inside that you can obtain your green card while you shop. (sarcastic...but true).

I think while the concept might be good in the right location (I'm told it has worked out well in GA?)...I just am not sure if Fort Mill is the right fit?...to me it would stand a better chance if it would represent all countries (International Plaza?)

Anybody else been there and want to share your thoughts???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2008, 11:37 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,428,999 times
I haven't, bnut my fiance basically said the same thing.

Old 04-12-2008, 12:11 PM

850 posts, read 2,651,202 times
The indoor park for the kids is awesome!!!

Old 04-12-2008, 01:10 PM

151 posts, read 571,029 times
We went before the paint dried, so the fumes gave me a headache. However, conceptually, we liked it. Agreed, not much there I would likely purchase, but I did like the way the boothes were laid out. I guess this is a carry-over from my childhood as we used to go to the swap-meets, which I loved exploring. To be honest, I wish it were an indoor swap-meet, you just never know what you'll find.

Old 04-12-2008, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatTerra View Post
We went before the paint dried, so the fumes gave me a headache. However, conceptually, we liked it. Agreed, not much there I would likely purchase, but I did like the way the boothes were laid out. I guess this is a carry-over from my childhood as we used to go to the swap-meets, which I loved exploring. To be honest, I wish it were an indoor swap-meet, you just never know what you'll find.
Now that is funny!....I started to say it reminded me of a swap-meet (but not one of the good swap-meets)...but I wasn't sure anyone would know what I was talking about? (while growing up..we were not only enjoyers of swap meets but sellers too....but I digress??)

Old 04-12-2008, 05:25 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,898,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecarolinas View Post
Now that is funny!....I started to say it reminded me of a swap-meet (but not one of the good swap-meets)...but I wasn't sure anyone would know what I was talking about? (while growing up..we were not only enjoyers of swap meets but sellers too....but I digress??)
Ha ha ha LTC...be careful...your CALIFORNIA is showing with the swap meets! And I'm not mothering, either!

Old 04-12-2008, 05:39 PM

81 posts, read 309,765 times
My family went a few weeks back. I love the way the storefronts look. The climbing tower was neat for the kids. I would hate to pay the insurance to operate that thing though!

I originally went to see if I might be interested in opening a small ladies shoe store/boutique that I have had in mind for a while. I don't think it could support what my daughter and I were thinking of. It is a good place for the immigrant families to display their wares. I did see some great prices on name brand tennis shoes in one or two stores. Also, lower price clothing for all ages and sexes is available, if you like the 'urban' style.

I think it's probably a good place for the types of merchandise that you find there. A tad lower end than you find in the mall. Flea market? My younger son liked going there to see what he could spend his money on. And the little stores that had different types of hispanic candy and chips were interesting to me. It also looked like a huge western wear store was going to open. I would like to see that, and what kind of prices they have.

I hope that they are able to attract retailers with a bit more diversified product. Maybe it's a bit early to tell how it will do. The guy whose project this is, seemed to do VERY well in Atlanta. He sure took a risk to do it there, and it looks like a sunk a lot of the earnings into the project here. It will probably pick up more business when Carowinds opens.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:17 PM

1,105 posts, read 4,570,612 times
It's kind of a bit early to judge don't ya think? I mean, didn't it very recently open?

I've heard nothing but great things about it. Haven't been personally yet, but I imagine it is all based on what you expect to begin with. It has never been a high end mall.

Old 04-13-2008, 05:40 AM

151 posts, read 571,029 times
That's funny, you know who you are.

Old 04-13-2008, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn02674 View Post
It's kind of a bit early to judge don't ya think? I mean, didn't it very recently open?

I've heard nothing but great things about it. Haven't been personally yet, but I imagine it is all based on what you expect to begin with. It has never been a high end mall.
Actually I thought I had given it plenty of time...since it's been open for almost 4 months now (it opened right before Christmas of last year).

As far as what I was expecting...well, when they first made the announcement that they were turning it into Plaza Fiesta...I found myself defending it over on the Charlotte side of this forum...so yeah, I guess I was expecting it to be a little more than what it was?...but like I said in my earliers post...the store fronts are neat and the climbing gym looked great. But for me...that's not enough to make me want to go back again.

Also in regard to the climbing gym (playground) I read that it is one of the biggest playgrounds ever installed in the US
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties