Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2006, 02:46 PM

64 posts, read 315,955 times

Advertisements

We will be moving from Cincinnati to Fort Mill the beginning of Dec of this year. I need some information on some great daycares. I have an 8 year old that would need before and after school care and then a 3 year old that would need all day. They currently attend a church child development center here that is small and very good. It does not have to be religious based at all but I would love to hear from some mom's. It is hard to go by what is in the phone book.
Plus we are starting up a franchise there so we do not know anyone.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2006, 05:34 PM

390 posts, read 1,515,655 times
I'd recommend the Field of Dreams Nurture Center at Baxter Village in Fort Mill. I've heard wonderful things and my soon-to-be next door neighbor owns it. My 3-year-old is on the waiting list for when we move to our new house next year (we're building in Tega Cay). We went on a tour a few months ago and loved it - it's a lot like the Gateway Academy my daughter attends now in Charlotte.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:15 PM

396 posts, read 977,148 times
I know this is an old post, but I must share my experience with Field of Dreams in Fort Mill in case anyone else comes across this post.

My child started going to Field of Dreams since the very beginning (she was 4 and is now 7). She once made it outside their gates into the parking lot in Baxter Village from their playground on the freeway side. I also watched on their "camera monitor" my daughter cry for 10 minutes, rubbing her eyes while a teacher walked back and forth and ignored her (I had to call and see what was going on - my poor girl had sunscreen in her eyes). No place is perfect, and, truthfully, everything else went well up until now. They just recently opened their new Field of Dreams After School Adventure. There's no security, they've taken away services (but upped the price) - no lunches, no playground, no gates, no cameras as advertised on their website - and it sits in the middle of a business plaza. I emailed the owner and the director my concerns (email me at lauravjangos@comporium.net and I'll send you my email to them - nothing nasty, just to the point) regarding security after I expressed my concerns in a parent orientation for their new facility. Without warning, I was called and told that my child is no longer welcome there "because I am a bad apple" for expressing concern about their facility. Other parents expressed their concerns as well, but I guess my child is being penalized as a show of "Don't complain or your child can't come here.". Other than for the 2 instances I've mentioned, I have NEVER complained about anything before and was completely shocked that they would kick my daughter out of place she spent almost 4 years of her life! There was no regard for her or the effect on her with them literally giving her the boot for something that wasn't even her fault. I was told it was a GOOD "business decision" and that I had 30 days to find another afterschool care program for my girl. I must also mention that when I spoke with the director, who's a cold you-know-what, she said she "can't be concerned with what door a parent leaves from with their child" when I expressed that I saw a parent leave out a different door than what they were supposed to. Interestingly enough, when I picked my daughter up (the day she got the boot), they had a desk placed in front of the door I mention and the director was personally pointing people to the sign-out sheet (that some people didn't even know about and NO ONE AT Field of Dreams was checking!). Well, at least my complaint had two SMALL positive outcomes in that respect. If you take your child there, you'll have no right to express a concern! Beware! It's not so "loving and nurturing" like they advertise.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:03 AM

96 posts, read 219,512 times
We really like Carolina Kids (Christian-based) center. I've also heard great things about All Nations Church & Field Of Dreams. Goddard is opening a center in 2009 (not built yet). A couple pre-schools are St. Johns & St. Phillip Nazari, but they are only morning programs I think.

There are not a lot of daycares in Fort Mill so get on the waitlists NOW! It took us 6 months to get off list.

You'll find a lot of the churches here only run pre-school instead of all-day daycare.

Old 08-29-2008, 05:49 PM

23 posts, read 76,303 times
My son goes to Pleasant Road and my daughter went there too. It isnt very big, but the teachers are really great. They pick up from the schools and they do field trips & such. They aren't expensive in my opinion and I have been very satisfied with the care my son has been getting and the care my daughter got.

Ft Mill schools also offer something called "FLYERS" and i have no idea what the heck it stands for, but it is through Springs Rec Center. FLYERS is about 1/2 the price of the daycares in the area but the kids all stay in one big room and they blend the kids from K-5.

My daughter did FLYERS and it was OK...saved money, but she had a hard time dealing with some of the kids and the watchers were kids in HS so I don't think they got the supervision they really needed. Each elementary school has a different group of employees and they all answer to the Director at Springs so the groups are different in quality from school to school.

There didn't used to be a lot of centers in Fort Mill, but with the population growing so are the care centers. You can go to SC DHEC website to get a listing of the licensed ones and see if they have had any infractions. Good Luck & Welcome to the area!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties