Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2012, 09:36 AM

14,466 posts, read 20,644,378 times

Advertisements

I had a RH police officer tell me it was against the law to look in other's trash.
I have been getting boxes for packing, and moving, and shipping, from liquor stores and Family Dollar, for many years.
I don't look in the trash of individuals. That's a no-no in my mind.
Only businesses for boxes.
I asked the officer what about stuff that people have put on the side of the road?
That's against the law too.
I have often found things of value on the side of the road and given them away on free cycle.
Or even a scrap piece of wood or metal that I could use myself.
I did not have a chance to ask the officer if it was ok, if the business owner gave me permission.

Anyone know what the fine is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 03:45 PM

City: Is shall be unlawful for any person, other than those under the direction of the public works director, to haul away, remove, plunder through or in any way tamper with any solid waste, or recyclable material set out for collection, whether in collection containers or bundled for collection. (Penalties not located as of yet)

Old 12-12-2012, 02:05 PM

A sherriff's officer told me they, themselves, have gotten boxes from dumpsters.
Outside the city limits I guess. I see the City codes but not the penalties.

Would a cardboard box from the dumpster at the Walmart near Newport really be different than a simlar box from Family Dollar on Cherry Road?

Old 12-12-2012, 04:40 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,965,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
A sherriff's officer told me they, themselves, have gotten boxes from dumpsters.
Outside the city limits I guess. I see the City codes but not the penalties.

Would a cardboard box from the dumpster at the Walmart near Newport really be different than a simlar box from Family Dollar on Cherry Road?

Walmart near Newport is inside the city limits now ... don't you recall the Miller's Pond War? Rock Hill City limits now extends on the side of the road where Walmart is located all the way to Adnah Church Road ... on the opposite side of the road just where the railroad tracks are located.

I thought most companies broke down boxes and recycled them or sold them. I have seen big bundles of boxes bound up behind grocery stores and other stores. Perhaps you could ask Family Dollar store or whoever what day their delivery trucks arrive and if you could just stop in and pick up some boxes.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
Walmart near Newport is inside the city limits now ... don't you recall the Miller's Pond War? Rock Hill City limits now extends on the side of the road where Walmart is located all the way to Adnah Church Road ... on the opposite side of the road just where the railroad tracks are located.

I thought most companies broke down boxes and recycled them or sold them. I have seen big bundles of boxes bound up behind grocery stores and other stores. Perhaps you could ask Family Dollar store or whoever what day their delivery trucks arrive and if you could just stop in and pick up some boxes.
Most do break them down but some of the convenience stores throw out alot of smallish boxes that are handy for various uses.
Speaking of Walmart what about the other end of Dave Lyle near the Rock Hill Walmart.
How far do the city limits go that way?
Since I mentioned that side of town, it would be nice if that end of Dave Lyle was extended across the river in some way to prevent having to get back on I-77, down to Cherry Road and across the river and through Ft. Mill trying to get to the Indian Land - Lancaster Hwy. area.

Old 12-15-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Most do break them down but some of the convenience stores throw out alot of smallish boxes that are handy for various uses.
Speaking of Walmart what about the other end of Dave Lyle near the Rock Hill Walmart.
How far do the city limits go that way?
Since I mentioned that side of town, it would be nice if that end of Dave Lyle was extended across the river in some way to prevent having to get back on I-77, down to Cherry Road and across the river and through Ft. Mill trying to get to the Indian Land - Lancaster Hwy. area.
I don't know where the city limits ends on Dave Lyle Blvd. There is a new RH Fire Dept located on the road behind Lowe's. Springdale Superette is located across the street from that fire dept and when the store burned down, the RH Fire watched it burn since the store was outside of the city limits. So the city limits must end near that area.

Have you not followed the brouhaha that has been going on for years now ... extending Dave Lyle Blvd all the way to SC Hwy 521. The RH City, York County and Lancaster County councils have tried to get approval and the money to extend DLB. At the very end of DLB, Newland Developer purchased over 2000 acres in early 2000 anticipating the extension and planned to build hundreds of homes and condos.

The money is not there without a tax increase and Lancaster County Council pulled out of the deal over a year ago. Extending DLB would require a new bridge over the Catawba River and just the bridge would cost mega millions. Newland offered $8 million to help with the cost but that is just a drop in the bucket. The project is not dead it will come up again.

Old 12-15-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
Have you not followed the brouhaha that has been going on for years now ... extending Dave Lyle Blvd all the way to SC Hwy 521.
The project is not dead it will come up again.
I have not followed it.

They are still working on the new bridge across the river N. Cherry Road.
Was that bridge in need of replacement?

A ton of money has been spent to make it 4 lanes from York to Blacksburg, for some reason.
If that is not going to be some new interstate highway from running east from I-85 to I-77, I'm not sure why that stretch of highway was made 4 lanes. Alot of tax dollars.

Old 12-15-2012, 09:48 PM

Quote:
I have not followed it.

They are still working on the new bridge across the river N. Cherry Road.
Was that bridge in need of replacement?

A ton of money has been spent to make it 4 lanes from York to Blacksburg, for some reason.
If that is not going to be some new interstate highway from running east from I-85 to I-77, I'm not sure why that stretch of highway was made 4 lanes. Alot of tax dollars.

The new river bridge on old Hwy 21 was funded by the 2009 federal stimulus money South Carolina received.

The road construction on Hwy 5 is Pennies for Progress money ... this was in the 1997 Pennies #1 and is still under construction (a little bit behind on the first Pennies projects.) The purpose is to provide a multi-lane corridor connecting I-85 in Cherokee County with I-77 in York County.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:18 PM

197 posts, read 278,502 times
The city of rock hill seems to think it needs to keep creating ordinances for problems that do not exist. They can't seem to grasp the concept of common sense.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phareous View Post
The city of rock hill seems to think it needs to keep creating ordinances for problems that do not exist. They can't seem to grasp the concept of common sense.
If I remember correctly, the officer did not say:
I could give you a ticket.
I will give you a ticket next time.
etc.

I think he said something to the effect of:
"try not to do it"
That sounds like an ordinance that is really not enforced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties