Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 02:38 PM

14,540 posts, read 20,814,518 times

Advertisements

When you have no competition you can raise prices.

On 2-1-2103:
1. Broadcast station fee on my bill is going from 2.79 to 3.26 up 16.8%
2. Cable basic from 11.95 to 14.95 up 25%.
3. Basic plus from 39.95 up 42.45 up 6%

Reason stated: to offset rising operational cost, increased cost from national programming providers and increased fees from local stations.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Inflation last year was up 1.7%.

These prices increases blow away the inflation rate used to pay cost of living adjustments to millions of Americans.

So the plans I just got Sept 8th, here 4 months later are going to cost me an extra $6.00 a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 06:59 PM
NDL

4,523 posts, read 5,693,875 times
Does anyone have an update as to Time Warner's entry into the area? TW's prices are more reasonable, and I've been happy with their service.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Does anyone have an update as to Time Warner's entry into the area? TW's prices are more reasonable, and I've been happy with their service.
Forget it. I wrote the CEO of Time Warner in New York to explain why the most populous areas in the county can not get TW.
York and Indian Land and Clover can.
Fort Mill and Rock Hill can not.
The stinking CEO never gave me a reply back.
It will take government intervention and new rules and new trends in cable TV for any changes.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by howard555
Rock Hill-Fort Mill are the most populated areas of the County.
I wrote a letter to the Time Warner CEO last year, and asked for a honest explanation on why they were not in Rock Hill-Fort Mill.
I got no reply at all.

---------------------
Another area resident gave this reply:
The answer is called cost. Time Warner has two options; they can either lease the lines from Comporium and pay whatever price Comporium charges or they can build their own infrastructure.

The first option would cause them to be priced too high to be competive and the second option would cause a massive capital outlay; that would take anywhere from years to decades to earn back. If they earn it back at all; since there is no way to know if enough people would switch from Comporium to Time Warner.

Read more: https://www.city-data.com/forum/york-...#ixzz2HLWoQsTA

Old 01-07-2013, 07:45 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,232,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Forget it. I wrote the CEO of Time Warner in New York to explain why the most populous areas in the county can not get TW.
York and Indian Land and Clover can.
Fort Mill and Rock Hill can not.
The stinking CEO never gave me a reply back.
It will take government intervention and new rules and new trends in cable TV for any changes.
Take note this article is from 2008

Comporium says it's ready to face Time Warner | Local News | Rock Hill Herald Online

But instead of going head-to-head with Comporium in existing neighborhoods, Time Warner, a cable super-company that recently arranged for naming rights to Charlotte's Time Warner Cable Arena, will focus its York County growth in new developments, Breckenridge said. If the company were to compete in existing areas, it would require a huge capital investment to install its own cable lines next to Comporium's existing lines.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:48 PM

instead of going head-to-head with Comporium in existing neighborhoods, Time Warner, will focus its York County growth in new developments. If the company were to compete in existing areas, it would require a huge capital investment to install its own cable lines next to Comporium's existing lines.[/quote]

That's how, and why, Time Warner is Indian Land, Clover, and York.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:09 AM

1,452 posts, read 3,001,158 times
No increase in Internet access? Good.
I cancelled my cable over a year ago and only use OTA.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:30 AM

10,113 posts, read 11,001,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecarolinas View Post
Take note this article is from 2008

Comporium says it's ready to face Time Warner | Local News | Rock Hill Herald Online

But instead of going head-to-head with Comporium in existing neighborhoods, Time Warner, a cable super-company that recently arranged for naming rights to Charlotte's Time Warner Cable Arena, will focus its York County growth in new developments, Breckenridge said. If the company were to compete in existing areas, it would require a huge capital investment to install its own cable lines next to Comporium's existing lines.

When this article hit the Herald in 2008 I talked to Sue Breckenridge's office ... Time Warner was interested in north of Hwy 5 and unincorporated areas of the county .... not Newport or the India Hook area nor inside city limits. That is why you will see some unincorporated areas with TWC.

It ain't gonna happen. Folks might has well accept it ... Comporium is it.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:40 AM

595 posts, read 1,627,249 times
Quote:
IMPORTANT NOTICE

On February 1, 2013, the following monthly rates will become effective in order to offset rising operational costs, increased costs from national programming providers and increased fees from local stations.

Broadcast Station Fee - $3.26
HD Digital Variety Package - $75.35
Price increases, I can't wait!

With football season about over, I will just cancel the cable service and pick it back up in the fall.
That should save me about $500.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub1968 View Post
No increase in Internet access? Good.
I cancelled my cable over a year ago and only use OTA.
Internet has puzzled me.
They do not even charge tax on it.
Why not?

I'm not complaining, but if they could, you know they would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties