Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 06:19 AM

146 posts, read 451,563 times

Advertisements

Are there any other options for internet access besides Comporium for Tega Cay? I am currently paying twice as much as I paid in Philly for high speed which seems crazy! Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2007, 07:13 AM

251 posts, read 1,127,826 times
Not really, Comporium provides both cable and DSL internet there. I will say Comporium cable internet is about $5 a month cheaper than Time Warner, however, I agree the DSL service is pricey---costs the same as their Cable internet! Obviously, they wish to encourage people to subscribe to their other cable services...

Old 11-21-2007, 08:27 PM

139 posts, read 360,047 times
Default Internet prices

I am also shocked at the lack of options for high speed internet in York County! I currently pay $45 a month for high speed cable modem in Phoenix, and I can't believe the increase in price for unlimited access! If I am correct I will be paying close to $100 a month for unlimited hours...ouch! If I'm wrong on that pricing please feel free to correct me...

Old 11-22-2007, 05:05 AM

850 posts, read 2,650,450 times
$120.00 is my total cable bill and we have wireless internet, HD DVR with HD package and HBO...
The high speed cable internet is only around $40 or so dollars a month. They also have specials when you sign up...Ours was $19.99 for the first 6 months... Overall very pleased with the cost.

Old 11-23-2007, 03:12 PM

251 posts, read 1,127,826 times
Comporium cable internet is 44.95 a month, and is a very good, dependable, service. You do not have to subscribe to cable to get this service, but if you bundle with several Comporium services, you will get $5 off EACH service you subscribe to. Currently there is a special on cable internet, with half priced installation (usually $49.95, including modem) and first month free.

Old 11-23-2007, 08:42 PM

139 posts, read 360,047 times
Default Thanks

Thanks for the clarification on the cost! Those prices sound more in line with what we pay here in Phoenix.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:11 AM

193 posts, read 633,628 times
We purchased DSL form Comporium, but when the service technician showed up and started to connect a cable modem, I asked him what was going on. He said that he had an order for high speed over cable, not DSL.

I called the customer service line, and was told that they would have to research the matter and send the guy back another day. They later called us back and said they do not offer DSL in my area (new part of Tega Cay) and we could have a cable modem or nothing.

Comporium limits your transfer rate (i.e.- not just bandwidth, but also total bytes transferred) for their cable data service. This has become a huge issue for us, since I work from home a fair amount.

The symptoms are:

- Vonage quality degrades around the middle of the month (assuming this is when we hit their transfer limit?)

- Around the middle of the month, we can do NOTHING else when one person is using Vonage. No email, nothing, zip, nada. As soon as the other person gets off the phone, we can once again get back to work.

- Instant messaging services disconnect, VPN for work drops, etc. when one person does something like transfers a large file in email, calls using Vonage, or watches something on YouTube

The plans and associated transfer limits are described here:

Comporium Communications

I don't know for sure but this seems like a somewhat recent change, like in the past 3 - 6 months. At least the technical issues; there is no date on the fee schedule above.

I guess my choices are to go to a more expensive plan, or else check out wireless services such as Clearwire, Sprint's wirless data service, etc.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:21 AM

Oh, one other thing regarding Comporium's internet service: their DNS servers* seem to have recurring issues. I don't know if they have their own servers, or use an external service for this, but we used to see frequent DNS issues with our Comporium service.

These manifest as errors such as "error looking up google.com" or "host not found" when you darn well know that google or CNN has not gone anywhere.

The solution to this is to subscribe to a 3rd party DNS service such as dynDNS's recursive DNS:

DynDNS: Recursive DNS -- increased reliability, faster DNS query resolutions

No more DNS-related errors, and perceived performance is improved as it takes less time to look up the domains that are part of the URL you are trying to access. This requires configuring your router and may not be for the faint of heart / non-techies, but if any of the above makes sense you should probably be able to do this.

*DNS is how the URL to a web site is resolved. It looks up addresses such as "https://www.city-data.com/forum/york-lancaster-counties/180822-high-speed-internet.html#post2972370" and resolves the domain portion of the address, e.g.- city-data.com. Your browser then uses the information from DNS to connect you to the server at city-data.com. That server then handles the rest of the URL after that.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:37 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,894,135 times
MilesBFree - is fiber optics cable? When I called Comporium after we bought our new 4-in-1 printer, the person on the line said we are neither DSL, cable or modem. We are fiber optic connection. We do have all our services through Comporium (I live in Ft. Mill), upgraded to a faster modem, and have no DNS problems whatsoever. I do find their long distance service outrageous...we also have our alarm system through them.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:16 AM

bibit612 - fiber optic is a different media, but can deliver different types of communications services on top of it.

When I said cable, I was thinking a media type of the plain old coax cable variety, carrying broadband signals (some of the bands are cable TV channels, some data, some voice. broad = many different channels).

DSL is usually delivered over twisted pair wiring (Cat5 ethernet cables are one example). It is baseband, meaning in effect one channel.

Fiber optic is likely delivering broadband, a combination of cable TV channels, high speed data service, and voice.

Sorry if this is oversimplified...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties