U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2013, 02:01 PM

10,069 posts, read 10,103,373 times

Advertisements

Like Hwy 160 needs more traffic ... 220 single family homes and up to 330 multi-family units on 151 acres off of Hwy. 160, opposite Dave Gibson Boulevard. Council passed the first of three needed readings on a rezoning to allow it at its May 6 meeting.

This was the first reading ... two more readings required for final approval ... some of you that live in that area need to make plans to attend the next reading.

FORT MILL: 550-home subdivision planned for Hwy. 160 in Fort Mill | Local News | Rock Hill Herald Online
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 07:27 PM

1,218 posts, read 2,728,933 times
Who can afford those kind of homes anyways?

Old 05-13-2013, 08:44 PM
NDL

3,873 posts, read 4,454,545 times
Since I don't have anything nice to say...

Old 05-14-2013, 10:12 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,760,958 times
Makes me wonder why I voted for the school bond.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:31 AM

595 posts, read 1,507,960 times
Whatever extra money the York County Council thinks they are going to get in new taxes from this monstrosity is going to have to go directly into building new schools for the 1,000+ extra kids.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:42 PM

38 posts, read 141,889 times
I wondered if those prices included the multi-family housing section which is the majority of units or if the multi-family was apartment rentals. Also in the same issue of the fort mill times there was an article about redistricting where they are planning on splitting neighborhoods for elementary schools. Not liking the direction things are heading.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:36 PM

10,069 posts, read 10,103,373 times
1. Everyone that has an interest or lives in that area needs to contact your York County Council representative.
2. Plan to attend the second reading. When you find out when the second reading will be held, if it is at a council meeting you have to call and get on the agenda to speak. This is easy I have called and got on the agenda to speak/question the council in the past.
3. Turn out for the council meeting, it is open to the public and they cannot do a second or third readings behind closed doors.

Contact your School Board representative too. Attend the school board meetings and ask questions. Hasn't there been a problem in past years with school enrollment at certain schools being frozen and children have to go to a school out of their district?

According to the news article Sherry Allen and Barbara Ostrander have started the ball rolling but it will take more than two to fight this. If you are happy with this new development then don't do anything. It does mean more tax revenue into the county coffers and that is what the council sees.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:01 PM

2,536 posts, read 8,702,585 times
Default Act 388

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub1968 View Post
Makes me wonder why I voted for the school bond.
I would highly recommend that anyone that is thinking of moving to this area, or has already moved to Fort Mill, Indian Land, Clover, etc. do some research on ACT 388.

It has greatly impacted this area and will continue to do so...especially when it comes to our schools. ACT388 has had a very negative impact on fast growing areas in South Carolina.

A building can be built but it is not a school until there are teachers to teach and books to learn from. That is just one reason why one should have voted for the school bond.

I personally like the way they explain ACT388 in this article

ACT 388: Property tax law limits options for area schools | GoUpstate.com

I was concerned on what effect this would have on our area back in 2008:

I made a post back in March, 2007 in regard to the lowering of our taxes (after attending a meeting with the superintendent of the FMSD)
I have copied part of my original post: "For me...what I think is possibly a far bigger concern...is the lowering of our (school) taxes...I believe this will attract even more people to the SC area...and then when that happens...what becomes of the schools when they no longer have the monies that they had access to before? (that is what I am keeping my eye on)"

Act 388

You can do a search on Google on ACT388 for more information and articles.

Last edited by lovethecarolinas; 05-17-2013 at 05:03 PM.. Reason: Brain Fart
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties