U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2013, 11:17 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,771,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phareous View Post
We ended up killing everything, bringing in top soil, and planting bermuda 2 years ago. The landscaper that time told us bermuda would be less maintenance, it would spread and thicken on its own, and it would get so thick no weeds would grow. And you know what? My yard is mostly clover now. I really don't care anymore. I just put down more weed killer to try to get the clover gone but I'm not going to sick a ton of money into this anymore.
My bermuda definitely gets a few weeds, no grass is perfect. You should consider a professional service for a year to get it under control.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 12:46 PM

850 posts, read 2,479,238 times
No problem with Fescue in my yard, plus it looks great all year long. I am not a fan of the warm season grasses, IMO really makes the neighborhood look cheap in the winter. Warm season grasses will be more drought tolerant and zoysia has a very fine blade that really looks nice in the summer, but again looks awful in the winter.
If you are able to establish a fescue lawn with seed then it will be more tolerant to the heat of the summer with less watering, the roots are deeper. Most new homes are sodded, and are not maintained correctly making it almost impossible to keep alive. Drive thru some of the older established neighborhoods in Fort Mill and Charlotte, you will see almost all lawns are tall fescue.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:56 PM

112 posts, read 154,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub1968 View Post
And how about watering? Funny how you left out that inconvenient (and expensive) part.
You clearly didn't read my post thoroughly. I mentioned watering numerous times as the key in maintaining fescue during the summer months.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:58 PM

112 posts, read 154,989 times
I also agree that it would be wise to use a professional for treating your lawn. I personally use Scott's but there are others who provide similar services. One I can think of off the top of my head is TruGreen as I get mail from them all the time.

Old 05-17-2013, 01:34 PM

37 posts, read 79,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marndt View Post
No problem with Fescue in my yard, plus it looks great all year long. I am not a fan of the warm season grasses, IMO really makes the neighborhood look cheap in the winter. Warm season grasses will be more drought tolerant and zoysia has a very fine blade that really looks nice in the summer, but again looks awful in the winter.
If you are able to establish a fescue lawn with seed then it will be more tolerant to the heat of the summer with less watering, the roots are deeper. Most new homes are sodded, and are not maintained correctly making it almost impossible to keep alive. Drive thru some of the older established neighborhoods in Fort Mill and Charlotte, you will see almost all lawns are tall fescue.
No the neighborhood requires sod. Can do the back yard with seed but not front.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties