Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 09:15 AM
NDL NDL started this thread

4,518 posts, read 5,650,469 times

Advertisements

Hucks family members said upon putting the property up for sale in 2011, and reiterated last week, that a growing area all around them is the reason they’re looking to relocate. While the highway might be great for business, it doesn’t allow for the small-town feel of the farm.

“I’m done with that road,” said Sherrie Hucks, Barry’s wife. “There’s times I can’t even get out. People won’t let me out of my own driveway.”

Congestion got Fort Mill farm owners’ goat, so they’re out of here | Fort Mill Times - Fort Mill, SC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 09:18 AM

Is this progress?

Old 05-29-2013, 11:32 AM

10,113 posts, read 10,966,721 times
WOW ... another goldmine for a developer ... YC Council can have it zoned residential ... hmmmm let's see 50 acres ... 4 houses per 1/4 acre not enough only 200 houses ... condos and apartments more bang for the buck there.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:54 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,992,422 times
Sad. I liked seeing those goats every day when I pull out of my sub. I'm afraid to see what will be there instead. Hopefully not another tire store/frozen yogurt/liquor store.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:25 PM

Here's what I can't figure out: with the way Ft Mill is being developed, why not live in south Charlotte?

Charlotte has some negatives compared to Ft Mill, but water/sewer are cheaper and better; parks are infinitely better; libraries are better; access to state colleges; shorter commuting time to offices in CLT.

Plus, as much as I've been critical of the way Charlotte develops land, they seem to do a better job than Ft Mill.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:23 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,212,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Hucks family members said upon putting the property up for sale in 2011, and reiterated last week, that a growing area all around them is the reason they’re looking to relocate. While the highway might be great for business, it doesn’t allow for the small-town feel of the farm.

“I’m done with that road,” said Sherrie Hucks, Barry’s wife. “There’s times I can’t even get out. People won’t let me out of my own driveway.”

Congestion got Fort Mill farm owners’ goat, so they’re out of here | Fort Mill Times - Fort Mill, SC
I was not surprised by this (bummed yes...but not surprised). The Hucks have been talking about moving for awhile now. Last time they tried to sell it was about 5 years ago just as the economy was taking a nosedive.

This article is from 2008 and you can see how things were changing:

HWY. 160 West: Life in Fort Mill's fast lane | Fort Mill Times - Fort Mill, SC

Old 05-29-2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Is this progress?
What do you ?

Old 05-29-2013, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Here's what I can't figure out: with the way Ft Mill is being developed, why not live in south Charlotte?

For me even with all of its growth I'd still choose Fort Mill over South Charlotte. Different strokes for different folks.

Charlotte has some negatives compared to Ft Mill, but water/sewer are cheaper and better; parks are infinitely better; libraries are better; access to state colleges; shorter commuting time to offices in CLT.

I can not comment on if the water and sewer is cheaper and better in Charlotte because I don't know (where would one go to get this information to compare with?) All of the other things you have stated are just a matter of opinion in my book...that I don't necessarily agree with.

Plus, as much as I've been critical of the way Charlotte develops land, they seem to do a better job than Ft Mill.

Have you seen some of the areas that are in the county but not in the city of Charlotte, for that matter have you driven down Independence Blvd lately? With that said....do I like how Fort Mill is being overdeveloped....NO! But dang it now that we are here...who's going to shut the gate?
See ya!

Old 05-30-2013, 07:55 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,023,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecarolinas View Post
I was not surprised by this (bummed yes...but not surprised). The Hucks have been talking about moving for awhile now. Last time they tried to sell it was about 5 years ago just as the economy was taking a nosedive.

This article is from 2008 and you can see how things were changing:

HWY. 160 West: Life in Fort Mill's fast lane | Fort Mill Times - Fort Mill, SC
Great article.

With the article talking about Gold Hill, last night on the way home from college, there appeared to be a motorbike in bits by the traffic light at Four Seasons.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:55 PM

4,271 posts, read 6,297,425 times
Why not live in So Charlotte?

1) Higher taxes
2) Worse schools
3) More expensive homes
4) Even more traffic/congestion than FM

Those four things alone make Fort Mill more attractive to me. And Charlotte is close enough that I can still go to their parks, their restaurants, their sporting events, etc. whenever I want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties