Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2013, 02:15 PM

730 posts, read 1,401,907 times

Advertisements

Hello

My wife and I are currently looking at the Fort Mill area for a possible move. There is a teaching/coaching position for me and she is looking to make the move to Administrator and there are some positions for her. What is Fort Mill like? It seems like a nice, growing area. But I don't want it to be another Lexington (pretentious, spoiled/entitled children, people who live on the lake think they're better than you, and awful traffic). I am ready to get out of Lexington and excited about a possible move.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 03:16 PM

66 posts, read 130,421 times
As a fairly recent newcomer, 7 months here, I have not found the people to be pretentious or entitled children. This community seems to me to be very economically diverse where there are some homes in the 800 and up range, but that is not the norm. Most people here seem to live in the 300's and under range and the kids do not seem entitled thus far to me. We came from so much worse because the area was all a high income level and the whole school district was this way. This school district is very economically diverse for sure. Traffic is a joke here to me coming from a much bigger city but locals here will complain about it, all the growth etc but it is way better than other places. It is just some growing pains. I can tell you that this feels like a small community where you actually know the mayor's name, care about local elections, read the local paper etc. None of that did I ever do or care about before moving here. You will not have that many cool restaurants and shopping here as you do now but it is a close drive away.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:12 AM

351 posts, read 656,560 times
I think the answers you are going to get are going to depend on where the person came from before they moved to Fort Mill. For me, Fort Mill is much more of a high income area than what I'm used to. Rent demands are higher and the housing market has been good despite the economy. A 300K house to me is a luxury though, not middle income housing. So, to me I think the average income is upper middle class. I know for example in doing my research that only 17% of Nation Ford High School students are on free or reduced lunches.

The area is growing at a pretty fast pace. We moved here at the end of 2011 and it's grown a lot even since then. They are putting up more housing in the way of more apartments, so chances are over time, the area will have more diversity as far as income.

Traffic isn't bad if you compare it to Atlanta (where I'm from), but as growth keeps happening, traffic is going to get worse. Mainly in the form of back-up on the main roads trying to get on 77N to Charlotte and then again in the evenings coming home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties