Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 08:16 AM

1 posts, read 7,858 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My wife and I just moved from Atlanta and are currently in a rental. We are trying to figure out the best area for our family. We have 2 kids( 2.5 yrs & 13 mos) with another on the way. We have def decided on the SC side of Charlotte. We have gone to River Hills Plantation several times and really like the lay out and amenities. The homes are older, but we enjoy working on our home. We also really like Fort Mill and haven't really had a chance to experience Tega Cay yet. My biggest concern about River Hills is that it might be lacking in the "community feel" as most of the people living in River Hills are older.

Seems like both school districts are excellent, but does anyone have input on what we could be missing out on not living in Fort Mill or Tega Cay?

Do the communities inter tangle? Do people living in Lake Wylie SC go to Fort Mill a lot for community activities?

Basically any input is appreciated. I've read through a bunch of this forum, but didn't really find one comparing River Hills to Fort Mill or Tega Cay. Thx!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 08:53 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,210,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonstone View Post
Hello,
My wife and I just moved from Atlanta and are currently in a rental. We are trying to figure out the best area for our family. We have 2 kids( 2.5 yrs & 13 mos) with another on the way. We have def decided on the SC side of Charlotte. We have gone to River Hills Plantation several times and really like the lay out and amenities. The homes are older, but we enjoy working on our home. We also really like Fort Mill and haven't really had a chance to experience Tega Cay yet. My biggest concern about River Hills is that it might be lacking in the "community feel" as most of the people living in River Hills are older.

Seems like both school districts are excellent, but does anyone have input on what we could be missing out on not living in Fort Mill or Tega Cay?

Do the communities inter tangle? Do people living in Lake Wylie SC go to Fort Mill a lot for community activities?

Basically any input is appreciated. I've read through a bunch of this forum, but didn't really find one comparing River Hills to Fort Mill or Tega Cay. Thx!
You are asking to compare a subdivision (River Hills) to a town/township (Town of Fort Mill/Fort Mill Township) and a city (Tega Cay).

Well, first off I'd say you'll have less traffic outside of River Hills versus Tega Cay.

Gated communities are seldom seen in York County.

As far as a community feel...I think you will get that in River Hills (I know they have a strong swim program over there).

I happen to find myself over in Lake Wylie quite often for various reasons but as Lake Wylie/Clover continues to grow I think there is less and less reason for the communities you are speaking of to "inter tangle" (i.e. sports programs, shopping, etc.)

The areas aren't really all that far apart and its not like TC is going to take all that long to scout out (in fact I can suggest a route to give you a feel for Tega Cay...just send me a DM if you are interested).

What ever you decide I wish you the best of luck!

Old 06-26-2013, 06:28 AM

622 posts, read 1,781,982 times
I have lived in River Hills for 10 years. When we moved in it was an older population. Currently, that is not the case. Most of the families moving in have children and there are many opportunuties for them. The school sysem is excellent and taxes are lower than TC or Fort Mill. The town of Lake Wylie is unincorporated and you only pay York County taxes. For example, my home is tax valued at 450K and taxes are $1850 per year.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:07 PM

100 posts, read 213,084 times
We have been in SC for three years, we rented 2 years in Lake Wylie (Not the river hills subdivision), we chose to buy in Tega Cay because we wanted some things we couldn't find in Lake Wylie, the sidewalks and more feel of a community. We also found ourselves going into Tega Cay/Fort Mill often. We were not happy with the grocery stores or the lack of decent dining, although the Walmart is much nicer.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:21 AM

2 posts, read 8,748 times
Hi I am a Realtor and I happen to live in River Hills.

River Hills is a great mix of young families and older retirees. My husband and I are in our 50's with grown children, but in the houses right around us we have 17 kids from the ages of 1 year to 15. This is a very vibrant community with lots of social groups so you can always find a place to "fit" in. There are book clubs, card playing groups, garden groups, social party groups, etc. While about 50% of the neighborhood is retired - they are very active retirees, not rocking chair retirees. True the houses in here are all pretty much from the 70s and need some updating but it is part of the charm.

Fort Mill is a great place to live also - the houses are newer and a little more cookie cutter but still very nice with great schools. Also closer to a few more eating establishments. Baxter Village has been the best selling neighborhood in the Charlotte region for the past few years.

Tega Cay - like River Hills it was built in the 70s. That developer decided to make Tega Cay an incorporated town. At one time Tega Cay was actually a gate community and is where Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker lived. The Lake Shore area of Tega Cay is newer with very nice homes. The older part of Tega Cay has some very nice houses and then it has some houses that need some help on the outside as well as the inside.

As I tell my clients it is a matter of personal taste. I like the sense of community that River Hills gives me. My suggestion to you is to go look at houses in all three areas and see which feels best to you. From there you can then start to zero in on the perfect house for you.

If I can help you in any way or answer any questions please feel free to email me at bcferrell2@gmail.com or you may call me at 704-641-0914.

Happy House Hunting.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:37 AM

13 posts, read 30,185 times
We just moved here as well about a month ago. We chose to build in the lake wylie / clover school district area. From what i can tell the Clover school district is just as good as Fort Mill schools. I can't say that from experience but that is the way my research is leading me to believe.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:15 PM

54 posts, read 64,260 times
We are looking at moving from S. Charlotte to the Tega Cay/FM area as well. My concern is that even though the areas are safe with good schools, there isn't jack crap out there in terms of dining or entertainment so you have to go to the Steele Creek area which we do not like (Rivergate isn't too bad) or drive into Charlotte. There are no theaters, bowling alleys, health food stores, chain restaurants (other than fast food), some of the local restaurants are not that great, and any kind of concert, professional games, museums, etc. you have to go into Charlotte for. After awhile it would get tiring to be driving all the time when we could just stay in our current area and be near it all. Living in S. Charlotte we have prime location and excellent schools with tons of stuff all around us. We are looking at moving b/c my husband's work is relocating to FM and the commute from here to there would not be good.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:40 PM

547 posts, read 773,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akoboe View Post
We are looking at moving from S. Charlotte to the Tega Cay/FM area as well. My concern is that even though the areas are safe with good schools, there isn't jack crap out there in terms of dining or entertainment so you have to go to the Steele Creek area which we do not like (Rivergate isn't too bad) or drive into Charlotte. There are no theaters, bowling alleys, health food stores, chain restaurants (other than fast food), some of the local restaurants are not that great, and any kind of concert, professional games, museums, etc. you have to go into Charlotte for. After awhile it would get tiring to be driving all the time when we could just stay in our current area and be near it all. Living in S. Charlotte we have prime location and excellent schools with tons of stuff all around us. We are looking at moving b/c my husband's work is relocating to FM and the commute from here to there would not be good.
You sound very negative. Please stay in S. Charlotte and have your husband commute.

Old 06-12-2014, 02:42 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,595,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Father View Post
You sound very negative. Please stay in S. Charlotte and have your husband commute.
Lol. That was a little harsh..

Old 06-13-2014, 06:36 AM

4,270 posts, read 6,293,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
Lol. That was a little harsh..
Yeah, but I'll bet you were thinking it too. *lol*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties