U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2013, 10:54 AM

4 posts, read 10,589 times

Advertisements

I live in a new development off of 161. I've lived here for 3 years now. Including my home, there are 9 other homes/families in the entire development. It's basically empty and very spread out. Since living here one of my neighbors has always had a golf cart. It's electric and they drive through the neighborhood on almost a daily basis with their kids/grandkids.

My other neighbor has a gas powered Gator by John Deere. They ride through the neighborhood a few times a week with their kids/grandkids/dogs.

Another neighbor has two boys with a small go kart. Only one kid can fit on it at a time. On weekends they drive the go kart through the neighborhood, but not all day, just for maybe an hour or two. Last summer they even hit a moving car and yet they continue to ride it around.

No one seems to mind any of this, including me. We're rural and we like it. I've never seen the Sheriff or Game Warden in the neighborhood speaking to any of them about any of these vehicles.

Early in the fall I purchased a Yamaha YZ450. As soon as I got it home, I took it riding up and down the street a few times. In less than 24 hours the Game Warden was at my house telling me not to ride on the streets or off road again or I would be fined.

What's the deal?! Anyone know? I have since sold the bike, but was thinking about getting a small go kart that can seat two adults to cruise around the neighborhood in, but could also take to an off road center on the weekends. Will I get in trouble with this too?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 08:59 AM

4 posts, read 10,589 times
33 views...no opinions or responses...

The GoKart I'm looking at is for me and my daughter. It has a horn, turn signals, and brake lights. Top speed is 35mph. It's 149cc if that helps.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:04 PM

10,032 posts, read 9,766,613 times
The go-kart nor the Gator by Deere is street legal. But they are quiet 'toys' to cruise around your neighborhood. Golf cart owners can obtain permits from the SCDMV.

A dirt bike makes noise.

My grandson has a Yamaha dirt bike and was riding on the road in the development where he lives and a deputy sheriff stopped him. The cop made him turn the bike off, push it home and told him if he caught him on the road again he would issue a violation with a fine. Son-in-law used their lawnmower and made grandson trails to ride on their property.

I don't know why a game warden stopped you since usually that's the Sheriff's Dept's duty or city police dept if you live inside the city limits. Maybe a neighbor complained since the officer arrived later and didn't actually see you riding. Also, I know you can ride dirt bikes on your own property and don't understand why he told you not to ride it off-road.

A go-kart is for off road use along with the other 'toys' you mentioned in your post. Something quiet like a go-kart would be less likely to bring out the cops. We have a golf cart that we will ride around our neighborhood but we have a SC Golf Cart Permit. The permit allows us to ride on secondary roads/streets during daylight hours within 4 miles of our home.

It's your call ... if you purchase a go-kart it is for off-road use. People using them in your development just haven't been caught.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:32 AM

595 posts, read 1,464,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
The go-kart nor the Gator by Deere is street legal. But they are quiet 'toys' to cruise around your neighborhood. Golf cart owners can obtain permits from the SCDMV.
A dirt bike makes noise.
This is correct. All of these vehicles cannot be driven on the street. (an exception does apply to a permitted golf carts, but I doubt your neighbor bothered with a permit).

Whenever my neighbors are out riding on their dirt bike/ATV/go-kart in the street, I call the cops on them.

Obviously, someone didn't appreciate the noise and called the cops on you.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:26 PM

10,032 posts, read 9,766,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DipDog3 View Post
This is correct. All of these vehicles cannot be driven on the street. (an exception does apply to a permitted golf carts, but I doubt your neighbor bothered with a permit).

Whenever my neighbors are out riding on their dirt bike/ATV/go-kart in the street, I call the cops on them.

Obviously, someone didn't appreciate the noise and called the cops on you.
I think that is what happened to ... my son, grandson and son-in-law was riding the dirt bikes where we live and we have trails, ten acres ... but being males they got on the public road. A neighbor came out of house and said if they didn't get off the road she would call the cops. They make lots of noise. They roared back into our trails. But we do have go-karts riding around along with golf carts that we never hear. The only reason we have the DMV permit for our golf cart is for camping and we are legal then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties