Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 11:52 AM

10,113 posts, read 11,002,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DipDog3 View Post
Maybe this is a sign that the State Supreme Court is about to rule on the Certificate of Need Law and the whole Certificate of Need will go away.

One could only hope.
Well ... the State Supreme Court didn't do any good. They won't review the Certificate of Need ruling. DHEC had shut the dept down and now is having to rehire staff and it should be up and running by mid July.

Justices ruled that DHEC must administer the program, pointing out that the governor's line-item veto power affected only funding, not the existence of a program set out in state law, even if that is what she intended.

Haley may have been attempting to get rid of the Certificate of Need by not providing funding but CON is a South Carolina Law that doesn't just disappear. Taking away funding does repeal a law.

So what happens now to the Fort Mill Hospital!!??

COLUMBIA, S.C.: High court won't review Certificate of Need ruling | Regional | Rock Hill Herald Online
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 09:41 AM

595 posts, read 1,627,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
Well ... the State Supreme Court didn't do any good. They won't review the Certificate of Need ruling. DHEC had shut the dept down and now is having to rehire staff and it should be up and running by mid July.

Justices ruled that DHEC must administer the program, pointing out that the governor's line-item veto power affected only funding, not the existence of a program set out in state law, even if that is what she intended
While I agree that vetoing funding doesn't change the law, how is DHEC supposed to administer the program without any funds to pay employees?

The legislature needs to either restore funding or nix the program (which doesn't look like they are willing to do).

Either way, it doesn't look like Fort Mill will get a hospital any time soon.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DipDog3 View Post
While I agree that vetoing funding doesn't change the law, how is DHEC supposed to administer the program without any funds to pay employees?

The legislature needs to either restore funding or nix the program (which doesn't look like they are willing to do).

Either way, it doesn't look like Fort Mill will get a hospital any time soon.

It's been 10 years now, I agree I don't think we will see a Fort Mill hospital for a long time. People will continue to travel to Pineville and Charlotte. PMC will continue to the fight as they feel they need this location financially and the YC council supports them due to the tax base.

Old 12-15-2014, 09:13 PM

547 posts, read 778,470 times
Today, for the third time , piedmont medical wins approval to build a hospital in fort mill

Third time's the charm? Piedmont Medical wins approval for Fort Mill hospital - Charlotte Business Journal

Old 12-16-2014, 12:19 AM

It hit the Herald about 3 hours ago. I wonder if this is over. CMC may just give up like Presbyterian did. But CMC has bought land off of Sutton Road. I know Presbyterian purchased land too. If it's appealed it will go to the S. C. Court of Appeals not to the S.C. Administrative Law Court and Judge Lenski again. Seemed strange him hearing an appeal on his own decision.

PMC again given permission to build Fort Mill hospital | Business | Rock Hill Herald Online

Old 12-16-2014, 05:51 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,331,048 times
Ugh. So so disappointed.

If CMC DOES give up (and as much as I want them to be the builder, I think it's TIME to give up so FM can have SOMEthing (even if it's a crappy place like PMC)), I would assume they'll build a free-standing ED or something similar to Steele Creek instead of the full-scale hospital they planned. That's what I would do if I was CMC and decided to let PMC have it.

As for me, I'll continue utilizing CMC Main, Pineville and Steele Creek.

Old 12-16-2014, 10:34 AM

107 posts, read 320,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
... I think it's TIME to give up so FM can have SOMEthing (even if it's a crappy place like PMC)),...
Just do what I did..invest in leeches. Bloodletting is going to make a comeback I tell ya! Better to bleed out at home then at a hospital full of disgruntled employees.

Old 12-17-2014, 12:33 AM

I just hope it's over with and PMC will move forward with a hospital.

At least York County will benefit from the taxes estimated back in 2011 at $4.1 million + annually. Carolina Healthcare is strong in our area with so many clinics. Our family doctor (Shiland Medical Center) is owned by CMC and my doctors do not have admitting privileges at PMC. I think more than 50% of York County is treated by CMC doctors.

Old 12-17-2014, 01:58 PM

197 posts, read 280,049 times
The whole argument from Piedmont and the court is that Piedmont sucks so bad, having competition would make them even worse. Because apparently they have no desire to invest in their Rock Hill hospital to make it competitive. They say they would lose patients, they would lose affiliated doctors, etc. And yet they NEVER ask theirselves why. They want the government to protect them, and its just pathetic.

Old 12-18-2014, 12:18 PM

564 posts, read 1,459,276 times
This judge is a joke. I do not see CMC giving up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties