Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2008, 11:03 PM

26 posts, read 93,540 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are moving out of Michigan this summer. Initially, we were all about NC, but I did some research on York County since York 2 is coming to my local teacher job fair (both wife and I are teachers), and the area sounds really intriguing. The schools sound very good!

We will be looking for a home in the 225-250K range, so I'd like to know where to start looking. We have 2 daughters (2.5 + 3.5 yo) so family oriented communities are the ideal.

More importantly, though, can anyone shed light on Clover itself. What's the downtown like? Sense of community? Things to do? I've tried reading the threads and everything's a bit vague.

Anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 08:11 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,357,757 times
Clover is still pretty rural and is growing but hasn't grown as much as the rest of York County. It's driving distance to Charlotte, but still a little bit far so that's part of the reason. Still a lot of farms and things. If you are familiar with maybe Monroe, MI that would be the best comparison.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:23 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,180,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving From Michigan View Post
My wife and I are moving out of Michigan this summer. Initially, we were all about NC, but I did some research on York County since York 2 is coming to my local teacher job fair (both wife and I are teachers), and the area sounds really intriguing. The schools sound very good!

We will be looking for a home in the 225-250K range, so I'd like to know where to start looking. We have 2 daughters (2.5 + 3.5 yo) so family oriented communities are the ideal.

More importantly, though, can anyone shed light on Clover itself. What's the downtown like? Sense of community? Things to do? I've tried reading the threads and everything's a bit vague.

Anyone?
Are you speaking of the job fair at EMU? If so...Wow!...what a great job fair you have coming up: (EMU Career Services Center - Teacher Job Fair)

There area a couple of real good districts/areas in SC that are attending the job fair.

In regard to Clover, SC though....it happens to be an area that I like. It is just across the lake (Lake Wylie) from where I am located (Tega Cay, SC).

Clover, along with the rest of York County (and much of SC) was hit hard when the textile industry left. But we now are seeing a resurgence (explosion might be a better word) of growth due to the close proximity of Charlotte, NC.

The schools in Clover, SC have a very good reputation. The district is currently planning for new schools.

The downtown area of Clover is more historical (not large by any means..but quaint). While are some new homes/developments around the downtown area..most of the new growth has been more towards the lake.

The area is still rural but as many folks have discovered this area...so have the developers and the landscape is changing briskly. While Clover may not currently have as many amenities as larger cities would have...as someone speaking from experience...its just a matter of time before it will (so it really depends on what one is looking for). Lastly your dollars will go farther than say in Fort Mill or Tega Cay, SC.

I would highly recommend you come and check out the area first...and see if it would be a good fit.

Best of luck to you!

Welcome to Clover, South Carolina!
Clover School District - Home
Lake Wylie Pilot - Front
Carolina Newspapers.com

Old 02-27-2008, 11:49 AM

26 posts, read 93,540 times
Default That's the kind of input I'm looking for!

Thanks lovesthecarolinas!

That's exactly the type of input I am looking for. Any suggestions on S/Ds to check out? I am looking for lots .5 acre or bigger in the $200000-250000 range.

Anyone else got some info?

Old 02-27-2008, 02:47 PM

146 posts, read 570,346 times
If you go to CarolinaHome.com, and search by area 15, it'll give you an idea. For that price range in Lake Wylie, your best bet would be Mill Creek Falls | A Lake Wylie master-planned community. I don't think the lot sizes are going to be .5. There's also Autumn Cove which is a Ryan Home
(Ryan Homes). We live in the landing but the lowest house on the market now is $395k. Our lots at .5 and are wooded with a pool and trails. www.thelandingonlakewylie.com is our n'hood website. There's also River Hills, an older gated community. River Hills Community Association - RiverHillsPlantation.com. HOA fees do not include the pool and such. That's a separate membership.

CP Morgan does build in the Clover area which is about 8-10 miles out from Lake Wylie.
I'm sure you could find more info online at C. P. Morgan | More Square Feet. Less Money. | New Home Builder.

Centex is also building a new n'hood too: Centex Homes - Highgrove at Timberlake neighborhood in Clover SC

Hope this gives you a start,
Renee

Old 02-27-2008, 03:11 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,357,757 times
Allen Tate Family of Companies is a good place to search for homes on the MLS too.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving From Michigan View Post
Thanks lovesthecarolinas!

That's exactly the type of input I am looking for. Any suggestions on S/Ds to check out? I am looking for lots .5 acre or bigger in the $200000-250000 range.

Anyone else got some info?
Well, some homes in Clover (if you are open to resell) will not be in a subdivison (an you will more than likely end up with more land with these homes).

You may also want to look at York, SC (again like Clover...some homes will not be within a subdivsion). There are some areas within York that fall within the Clover School District (if you have children and would like them to attend the same school district you teach at?)

In York, SC within your price range and what you say you are looking for..you might check out:
The Timbers
Campbell Crossing
The Hylands

In Clover/Lake Wylie you might check out:
Flying Eagle (new builds)
Crosswinds

Old 02-28-2008, 12:56 PM

36 posts, read 104,679 times
We just went through this same thing and will be closing on our house in approx. two - three weeks!! Some of the subdivisions we looked at were: Cambells Crossing, Oak Creek, Flying Eagle and the Timbers. All had lots of at least 3/4 acres (we looked at homes with only an acre or more). None of these subdivisions has the amenties (like a pool or trails), but they were/are nice family neighborhoods, at least from what we saw. I believe Oak Creek would be the neighborhood that fits your price range the best - Flying Eagle had alot of kids, but was in a little higher price range. Good luck to you!

Old 02-28-2008, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darscry View Post
We just went through this same thing and will be closing on our house in approx. two - three weeks!! Some of the subdivisions we looked at were: Cambells Crossing, Oak Creek, Flying Eagle and the Timbers. All had lots of at least 3/4 acres (we looked at homes with only an acre or more). None of these subdivisions has the amenties (like a pool or trails), but they were/are nice family neighborhoods, at least from what we saw. I believe Oak Creek would be the neighborhood that fits your price range the best - Flying Eagle had alot of kids, but was in a little higher price range. Good luck to you!
Hey there darscry - Welcome to the area, and as a new poster to the forum!

Old 03-02-2008, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecarolinas View Post
Well, some homes in Clover (if you are open to resell) will not be in a subdivison (an you will more than likely end up with more land with these homes).

You may also want to look at York, SC (again like Clover...some homes will not be within a subdivsion). There are some areas within York that fall within the Clover School District (if you have children and would like them to attend the same school district you teach at?)

In York, SC within your price range and what you say you are looking for..you might check out:
The Timbers
Campbell Crossing
The Hylands

In Clover/Lake Wylie you might check out:
Flying Eagle (new builds)
Crosswinds

I suggested Campbell Crossing on this thread...but you may want to refer to a post/thread that's titled: Rock Hill neighborhoods (see #17 from CarolinaWoman). It would be something I would be interested in...if I was looking at the homes here.

//www.city-data.com/forum/york-...orhoods-2.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties