U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 06:48 AM

7 posts, read 17,672 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I are currently looking to relocate from Matthews for a larger home to start a family and plan to live there for the next 10+ years. That being the case, we are looking to build and make it our own from the start. Our budget is at a max of $400k. I currently work in Charlotte but my employer will be relocating to Ft Mill in the next 2 years. My fiance works uptown. We have seen just about every builder and sub division from Mint Hill to Lake Wylie and are struggling to make a decision on where to settle down for the long haul.

We want a quality builder and to make sure we are in a neighborhood that has long term potential. While we are concerned with schools, we do not currently have kids and I worry that focusing on that at this point is a moot point as who knows what schools will be good or where the district lines will be drawn in 5+ years.

Both of us have only lived in the Charlotte area for a few years now and arent too familiar with the surrounding areas. I think we have ruled out anywhere in Mecklenburg County just due to the added taxes. We would like to have an easier commute but our highest priority is being in a great neighborhood with a quality house in an area that will only get better over the years. I think we have narrowed it down to the following two builders/subdivisions and was wondering if anyone could help provide any feedback on either or possibly suggest others.

Bonterra Builders - The Overlook at the Enclaves at Crismark (Indian Trail)
Merritage Homes - Riverchase (Ft Mill)

We have also looked at:

Knotts Builders, Lennar, DR Horton, Standard Pacific, Ryan, Ryland, John Weiland Homes, True Homes, Essex, etc.

Fox Ridge, Massey, Forest at Fort Mill, Millbridge, Walnut Creek, Carolina Reserve, Lakebridge, Lake Ridge, Serenity Point, Telfair, Iron Gate, Riverwalk, River Lake, Springfield, Deerstyne, Barber Rock, Bridge Mill, etc.

As you can imagine, we are very exhausted Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 11:33 AM

Anyone?

Old 10-01-2014, 12:19 PM

4,137 posts, read 5,707,900 times
Since you are asking about two specific subdivisions you'll have to wait until people who live or know about those subdivisions come to the forum and can give you info.

I have no intel about them, and therefore cannot respond.

Old 10-01-2014, 12:49 PM

Thanks Girl, any thoughts on any surrounding areas?

Old 10-01-2014, 01:00 PM

4,137 posts, read 5,707,900 times
Sadly, I can't help you.

You've said that you have looked from Mint Hill to Lake Wylie - that's too large an area to provide productive comment.

Even with the two subdivisions you've listed, they are in completely different areas. Indian Trail is not Fort Mill. If you were asking about Indian LAND versus Fort Mill I could provide comment.

I cannot provide insight on the FM subdivisions you've listed since I only know about the older subdivisions versus new construction. And since it seems like you do not want to consider pre-existing homes...

Old 10-01-2014, 07:02 PM

29 posts, read 52,098 times
We are currently building in Riverchase. Our house won't be ready until late November but so far the experience has been a good one. There are already people who are living in the cottages section(where we will be) and so far the people who we have spoken to are very nice and very happy with their purchase. PM me if you have any questions, but again, we won't be in until November. Best of luck.

Old 10-04-2014, 06:18 PM

133 posts, read 179,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rll282 View Post
My fiance and I are currently looking to relocate from Matthews for a larger home to start a family and plan to live there for the next 10+ years. That being the case, we are looking to build and make it our own from the start. Our budget is at a max of $400k. I currently work in Charlotte but my employer will be relocating to Ft Mill in the next 2 years. My fiance works uptown. We have seen just about every builder and sub division from Mint Hill to Lake Wylie and are struggling to make a decision on where to settle down for the long haul.

We want a quality builder and to make sure we are in a neighborhood that has long term potential. While we are concerned with schools, we do not currently have kids and I worry that focusing on that at this point is a moot point as who knows what schools will be good or where the district lines will be drawn in 5+ years.

Both of us have only lived in the Charlotte area for a few years now and arent too familiar with the surrounding areas. I think we have ruled out anywhere in Mecklenburg County just due to the added taxes. We would like to have an easier commute but our highest priority is being in a great neighborhood with a quality house in an area that will only get better over the years. I think we have narrowed it down to the following two builders/subdivisions and was wondering if anyone could help provide any feedback on either or possibly suggest others.

Bonterra Builders - The Overlook at the Enclaves at Crismark (Indian Trail)
Merritage Homes - Riverchase (Ft Mill)

We have also looked at:

Knotts Builders, Lennar, DR Horton, Standard Pacific, Ryan, Ryland, John Weiland Homes, True Homes, Essex, etc.

Fox Ridge, Massey, Forest at Fort Mill, Millbridge, Walnut Creek, Carolina Reserve, Lakebridge, Lake Ridge, Serenity Point, Telfair, Iron Gate, Riverwalk, River Lake, Springfield, Deerstyne, Barber Rock, Bridge Mill, etc.

As you can imagine, we are very exhausted Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Wow - I'd say you've done a pretty thorough job! The two that you landed on are both quality builders and they're both very nice neighborhoods.

I would disagree with your decision not to look at the schools now just because the zoning lines may change, though. There are still significant difference between states, counties, and districts even if things are rezoned. AND I'm a Realtor, so I always look at resale - what happens if your employment status changes, you get an offer you can't refuse, and have to sell in a year. I'd want to keep an eye out for potential liabilities when it comes to resale - one of those being Porter Ridge High School - while it may improve significantly by the time your children would go there in....15 years. It's not likely to change very much in the immediate future if you should have to sell.

It's just another of the scores of items to put on your list of +'s and -'s when deciding where to live.

Good luck!

Old 10-06-2014, 06:04 AM

218 posts, read 490,377 times
We are building in Springfield and can't wait to get in there. That would be a great location for your job moving to Fort Mill and it's very close to 77. That whole area is fantastic with the greenway right across the street and the peach stand right there that you can walk to (or golf car to) from the neighborhood. Oh yeah and the golf course if that's your thing.

Best of luck.

Old 10-07-2014, 09:49 AM

Thanks everyone for the feedback. We've definitely been opening up our eyes more to the schools and resale. We've actually changes direction a bit and are now trying to decide between the Enclaves @ Crismark or Telfair, both with Bonterra.

TeamMorrell, are you saying Porter Ridge High School is a potential liability? Again, I'm not too familiar with the area but i thought it was generally viewed as a good school?

Thanks again.

Old 10-07-2014, 10:09 AM

133 posts, read 179,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rll282 View Post

TeamMorrell, are you saying Porter Ridge High School is a potential liability? Again, I'm not too familiar with the area but i thought it was generally viewed as a good school?

Thanks again.
First, let me say that I have ZERO first hand experience with Porter Ridge High School - it may be fantastic. My point of reference is that I often have relocating clients that go to websites like Great Schools when deciding where to move.

Porter Ridge High School - Indian Trail, North carolina - NC - School quality

They have it rated at as a 6/10. It's not uncommon to have home buyers say that they won't even consider an area where the schools aren't rated at least 9/10.

Again, just something else to consider when deciding where to put down roots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties