Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2015, 08:36 PM

6 posts, read 8,340 times

Advertisements

I started a few threads asking just about everything from the schools to the subdivisions & taxes. Everyone has been so helpful. I wanted to thank everyone. This should be my last question for a bit. We are moving from Orange County, NY to the FM area hopefully before summer ends. I wanted to ask all our transplants from the Northeast who have relocated to the area, how their quality of life has changed, not only money wise but family life in general. I'm a big family guy and believe that is one of the most important things in life. Everyone that we have spoken to on our visits say their life has changed for the better. This is the last move we will ever make so I want to make sure we are doing the right thing.

Thank you to everyone that responds, your opinion is really appreciated.

All the best
Ray
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 09:02 PM

23 posts, read 41,145 times
Hi Ray,

Quality of life overall is much better here. I grew up in the Northeast and spent time in Boston. IMO the weather is a huge factor; winters are very mild here, although it does get hot with high humidity at times. We have no regrets about moving. Ft. Mill and South Charlotte in general has a lot of young families and kids. With all of the growth happening, the food, culture, etc in the area are slowly catching up. It's "easier living" here in the New South.

Good luck!

Old 02-28-2015, 09:30 PM

625 posts, read 489,332 times
I commented on your housing question, now onto this question.

I grew up in NYC and lived in NJ and have family in Orange Cty, NY. I've found that quality of life here is much better. People here are friendlier, and since there are a lot of transplants, people seem to genuinely care to get to know one another and meet the new neighbors. Just today we had a neighbor stop by as my husband was working in his garage and introduced himself and they were chatting for close to an hour. We'll be vacationing in a few weeks to Legoland in Florida with another neighborhood family -- they have the same family makeup as we do, only child 5 year old boy and slightly "older" parents.

I know the ladies that live on both sides of my house very well. The older son from our one neighbor has gone off-roading with my husband and is always hanging out here (a love of Jeeps) and my other neighbor has come over to eat and we've gone over to their house a few times and we've even car pooled the kids. Some things that never happened in the 10 years we lived in NJ where we barely knew our neighbors! We've been in this house less than a year. Our neighbors are always offering assistance to each other when needed. My son was gone for hours today playing with some of the neighborhood boys. I wouldn't have felt comfortable with him doing that back in NJ, he's not quite 6 yet.

So yeah, things are a little different. It just feels like people are more open to getting to know you here.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:36 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,299,572 times
We moved here eight years ago - our quality of life is the same because while some things are positive, some are negative.

1) Salaries: down dramatically from NJ. -
2) Cost of Living: down dramatically from NJ. +
3) Schools: much better from NJ. +
4) Neighbors: good, but not nearly as good as our NJ neighbors, who were like family after only 5 years living there. -
5) Job security: much better here - despite one layoff in 2009. +
6) Commute time: MUCH better than NJ. +
7) Friends made: I had two VERY CLOSE friends in NJ. As in "help me bury the body" close friends. Here - many social friends, but no close friends, despite best attempts. -
8) Church life: my church here is great, but I do still miss my NJ church a lot. -
9) Kids: I know my kids are having an amazing childhood here. +
10) Entertainment: my husband would say it's not as fun as NJ/NYC, but I think it's about even. And it's cheaper here.
11) Weather: I do miss having snow, but not that much. +
12) House: we got a lot more house for our money down here and property taxes are a fraction of what we paid in NJ. +

We are content to live here until we retire, and at that point we will revisit whether we want to stay in York County or move elsewhere.

Old 03-11-2015, 12:06 PM

6 posts, read 8,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJCoqui View Post
I commented on your housing question, now onto this question.

I grew up in NYC and lived in NJ and have family in Orange Cty, NY. I've found that quality of life here is much better. People here are friendlier, and since there are a lot of transplants, people seem to genuinely care to get to know one another and meet the new neighbors. Just today we had a neighbor stop by as my husband was working in his garage and introduced himself and they were chatting for close to an hour. We'll be vacationing in a few weeks to Legoland in Florida with another neighborhood family -- they have the same family makeup as we do, only child 5 year old boy and slightly "older" parents.

I know the ladies that live on both sides of my house very well. The older son from our one neighbor has gone off-roading with my husband and is always hanging out here (a love of Jeeps) and my other neighbor has come over to eat and we've gone over to their house a few times and we've even car pooled the kids. Some things that never happened in the 10 years we lived in NJ where we barely knew our neighbors! We've been in this house less than a year. Our neighbors are always offering assistance to each other when needed. My son was gone for hours today playing with some of the neighborhood boys. I wouldn't have felt comfortable with him doing that back in NJ, he's not quite 6 yet.

So yeah, things are a little different. It just feels like people are more open to getting to know you here.
NJCoqui

Thanks for your reply. My Dad and I will be down in a few weeks (4/7-4/9) to look around and pay more attention to our surroundings. The first visit we were all overwhelmed about the area and how beautiful it was. Do you recommend any particular developments? Which sub division are you guys in and would you recommend it? I have 3 boys 14, 13 and 9. Are there families with kids of all ages? Our biggest concern is the kids adjusting well, as for me and my wife, we can make friends whereever we go.

Thanks
Ray

Old 03-12-2015, 08:01 PM

It really depends on your budget but I would say look into Springfield. It's one of the nicest developments. Its close to the High School and the middle school and elementary schiol are just down the road. We're in Fallbrook which is part of Regal Manor and near Springfield. I would recommend looking into Fallbrook as well. There are still some houses for sale.
My husband and I had a preference to stay west of 77 to avoid the heavier traffic on that end. This side is starting to get built up as well but at least it'll be a while until it reaches the level seen on the other side of town. We're also near the Anne Close Springs Greenway and on the border of NC. Pretty convenient to everything.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:03 PM

As for kids, they're everywhere! I don't think there's a neighborhood here that doesn't have a lot of families. Springfield in the area being by Lennar does and here in Fallbrook there's always kids out playing and riding their bikes. I've even had neighbor kids show up unexpected INSIDE my house. We let our five year old out with the neighborhood kids as well.

Old 03-13-2015, 05:55 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,299,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJCoqui View Post
My husband and I had a preference to stay west of 77 to avoid the heavier traffic on that end. This side is starting to get built up as well but at least it'll be a while until it reaches the level seen on the other side of town. We're also near the Anne Close Springs Greenway and on the border of NC. Pretty convenient to everything.
I think you mean you stayed EAST of 77, right?

Old 03-13-2015, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
I think you mean you stayed EAST of 77, right?
LOL, yes. The other west! I always get left and right confused as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties