Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2008, 03:47 PM

56 posts, read 238,792 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to Charlotte for my husband's job which is in Charlotte near 485 and 77 interchange.

How long of a commute is Fort Mill, SC to that area?

I heard a bit about crime in Charlotte even in South Charlotte. How is the crime compare?

We are looking for a very safe community, great schools in an upper-middle class neighborhood with access to easy shopping as a bonus.

Any insight would be much appreciated!
Seattlemom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 04:01 PM

850 posts, read 2,650,781 times
77 and 485... from exit 85 hwy 160 is 10min max...

Old 02-13-2008, 05:11 PM

126 posts, read 412,131 times
10 mins without traffic.

Old 02-14-2008, 06:42 AM

285 posts, read 1,020,077 times
10 minutes from west or north "Fort Mill", i.e. the township, not the town.

Neighborhoods in that commute distance include Pleasant Glen, Regent Park, Knightsbridge, Reserve at Gold Hill, Spicewood and more. Baxter Village, Sutton Place and others are another 5+ minutes down the road.

I commute to I-485 and Arrowood, a couple miles past this interchange. I drove it this morning leaving Knightsbridge at 7:20 and was there in 15 minutes. Traffic was moderate but moving well.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:02 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,553,330 times
You can NOT go wrong with Fort Mill. Especially if you have children. Scholls are TOPS in the state (SC)!

Lived there for 5 years but wanted a more Urban environment and moved Uptown.

GOOD LUCK!

Old 02-15-2008, 02:19 PM

151 posts, read 570,947 times
Move to Tega Cay/Fort Mill you can't go wrong!

Old 02-17-2008, 12:03 PM

390 posts, read 1,515,462 times
As far as crime goes, depends on what kind you're talking about. Anecdotally, seems likely there are more break-ins in South Charlotte, more armed robberies in Fort Mill. Not much in Tega Cay at all - it's too hard to get out of here quickly since the cops are EVERYWHERE and you have to pass the police station to get out of town.

Old 02-17-2008, 02:39 PM

24 posts, read 78,246 times
Fort Mill would be a great area! As the previous posts have stated the schools are great and it has that small town feeling. Lots of great neighborhoods.

Old 02-17-2008, 05:11 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,212,228 times
To give you accurate commute times...it really depends on where you are looking to purchase. I read on one of your other posts that you are considering Bridgemill. Well, Bridgemill is located in Indian Land, SC and would NOT be a 10 minute commute to your husbands work. Now if you were to look on the opposite side of Fort Mill (anywhere closest to Int. 77-exits 90,88, or 85 that would be some of closest commutes to your husband work).

Crime-I feel safe in South Charlotte, and Fort Mill, and incredibly safe in Tega Cay.

I always encourage posters to use the "Search" feature on this site as you can garner alot of information from past posters as well as current posters too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattlemom View Post
We are relocating to Charlotte for my husband's job which is in Charlotte near 485 and 77 interchange.

How long of a commute is Fort Mill, SC to that area?

I heard a bit about crime in Charlotte even in South Charlotte. How is the crime compare?

We are looking for a very safe community, great schools in an upper-middle class neighborhood with access to easy shopping as a bonus.

Any insight would be much appreciated!
Seattlemom

Old 02-18-2008, 07:28 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,426,355 times
Fort Mill isn't really "crime free" especially outside town limits in the township. The Wachovia Bank and Lowe's Foods near Tega Cay were both robbed recently. A Valero gas station was recently robbed in which the clerk was shot as well as the former mayor. Last week I had some scary woman knock on my door at about 7:00pm. There was someone she was with in a white van in the street running, so I called the sheriff. People in the Charlotte area have been posing as salespeople to see what you have in your house of value and then come back to break in your house and steal it. Keep in mind too that the majority what people refer to as "Fort Mill" is actually outside of town limits which is serviced by sheriffs and not Fort Mill PD (although they will respond for serious crimes backing up the sheriff) and the sheriff sometimes has a longer response time.

Last edited by groove1; 02-18-2008 at 08:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties