Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2016, 07:06 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,402,235 times

Advertisements

My daughter is going off to college in a few years and she's been talking about how she would like to live near a big city like Charlotte.

I am wondering if anybody here went to Winthrop or Clinton college and can give me some feedback. I don't know anything about CLinton College but heard it mentioned on the radio once when I was in the Charlotte area.

Are these good schools for students who want to go into STEM fields?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2016, 07:59 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Are these good schools for students who want to go into STEM fields?
Clinton has very limited programs. Their 4-year degrees are only offered in Business Administration and Religious Education.

Winthrop is a larger school, and offers some graduate programs. There are BS degrees in Environmental Sciences and Digital Information Design. But if the daughter is interested in Engineering, there are better places to go. Here's Winthrop's list of academic programs: Winthrop University: Records & Registration - Undergraduate Degree Majors

Old 05-22-2016, 08:05 AM

96 posts, read 219,476 times
Winthrop is a great location - near Charlotte, but you only have to visit - not live right in it. Winthrop has a ton of undergrad programs. Really strong Biology & Chemistry programs where undergrads get a lot of in lab/research experience that some of the bigger schools cannot. Highly recommend your student contact the Admissions office for details.

Engineering she would probably have to go to UNCC, USC or Clemson.

Old 05-22-2016, 09:53 AM

2,309 posts, read 3,850,135 times
Clinton Jr. College is an HBCU and a 2 year school to boot. My current roommate went there to play basketball and has said if he could do it again he wouldn't have gone. He only went there to play ball, received his AA degree, and the down side is the credits bat Clinton will only transfer to other HBCU's. He's tried to enroll in places even like USC Upstate and Lander in hopes of trying to finish a 4 year degree but they've all told him he has to basically start over again course wise.

Winthrop will take Clinton credits I guess because they are both right there and have a relationship he said. Winthrop has a strong education program and strong liberal arts programs.

Old 05-22-2016, 10:29 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,402,235 times
Thanks for the info.

I only recently learned Winthrop is a public university and actually the 5th largest public in the state. I had thought it was a small private like Furman or Wofford. I think that could work for her, she will probably do something like microbiology.

I also had the impression that Clinton College was like Furman or Wofford. I thought the only HBCs in the state are SC State, and the two small ones next to each in Columbia. I looked on Wikipeda last night and it said the enrollment was only 143 students in 2010, the 3rd smallest in the state. And I thought Erskine was small at about 850 students, I tease my daughter about sending her to Erskine because my brother went there.

It seems like a school with only 150 students would just close, it doesn't seem possible for them to make much money. They ought to just merge with Winthrop and save on the adminstrative overhead.

Old 05-22-2016, 08:51 PM

351 posts, read 656,560 times
I work at Winthrop. I don't know anything about STEM majors, but I do know Winthrop is known for it's strong education program. My son is majoring in education there. There are about 5000 undergrad students, still reasonably small when you compare to the larger universities in the state.

If you have questions about cost or financial aid, I can help there.

Old 05-26-2016, 08:27 PM

1,149 posts, read 934,660 times
I have a Master's from Clemson. They do have a great Engineering program. I also have my undergrad from Winthrop. They are a good school as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties