Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 11:52 AM

2 posts, read 5,357 times

Advertisements

Hi, my family and I and planning on relocating to the Fort Mill area, and wanted to get some opinions on home builders.
How would you rank the following based on prices, value, amenities & quality of work?

Mercedes Homes
Hovnanian
Baker Residential
Ryan Homes
John Weiland
McCar Home Builders

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 12:21 PM

163 posts, read 584,637 times
I have heard John Weiland is very good....VERY pricey though!

I don't care much for the others (to costly with all the extras I would want..Also, some of the other builders.. I just did not like the floor plans offered in my price range...Or, I did not like the location of the development) ...Can't comment on Baker residential...as I have never heard of them..

Honestly, in my opinion, all builders issues mostly come from the contractors that they hire to build for them. I would find out who they contracted for whatever development you are interested in..Then, see if you can find out anything good/bad out about that contractor..

I would also make sure to hire a good home inspector..One who will be very detailed. Have them inspect at least pre dry wall, post dry wall, and a final.

My husband and I went with Pulte (Belair at Carolina Lakes in Indian Land) I was able to communicate well with them. They did not give me any real issues with fixing anything I asked to have fixed. I am now living in my home, and still have not had any problems with anything being fixed that I found after the fact..

Old 02-23-2008, 09:04 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,142,555 times
Of the builders on your list, I like John Wieland the best. Even though they are not technically a custom builder, there are opportunities to customize some of their floor plans.

No matter which builder you choose, I recommend a home inspection -- if you are building consider inspections at each stage in the building process.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:40 PM

20 posts, read 64,192 times
I'm with misfit. I bought in Pulte's Belair at Carolina Lakes development and have been very satisfied. It was a great bang for my buck versus other communities closer in to Charlotte (in terms of community amenities, house amenities and lawn size). The homes are in the low to mid/upper 200's. The super in charge of building, Mike, rocks and is great to work with. The only things I don't like are the hardwood floors (very soft wood that dings and dents way too easily) and the sod (the sod and the soil under the sod is crap).

Old 03-16-2008, 08:50 PM

119 posts, read 360,248 times
Stay away from Beazer properties. They are getting into big trouble financially... (ie... giving mortgages to people who cannot afford them and having high foreclosure rates..)

Old 03-17-2008, 03:58 PM

3 posts, read 9,024 times
We were going back and forth between John Weilland and Baker. John Weiland's Bridgemill seemed too crowded for us (over 1,000 houses when done. Can you immagine their pool in the summer?!) and the price range of the houses we could afford there, seemed tucked in the back near a road. We are in the process of building with Baker (the house will be ready at the end of May or beginning of June). We liked their Chastain community because is small, the house layout is great, the lots larger than .25 and they don't clear the whole entire community when they build. Our lot was cleared just as much as it was needed for the house to be built and it gives the impression of an established community not an austere one without trees. The extras are killing us though, as you have to pay for pretty much everything. ...not the ceilings though! (KB charges you for having 9'' ceilings!) The project manager is great ("young Nathan") however, he does not work with one contractor but with a lot of them, each specialized in different things and most of them as well as their crew, don't speak english. We took an inspector (REVEALED! Charlotte Home Inspector Tells All) and the PM addressed all the things noted by the inspector. They offer only a swimming pool and a walking trail to keep the association fees low but we hope for a tennis court to be added later on.

Old 03-17-2008, 04:38 PM

10 posts, read 27,048 times
SoxFan - We're also looking at the same builders and subdivisions in the IndianLand area, including one not on your list - AudobonLake (Shea Homes). I really like Belair but am wondering if it is all young families there. We're in our early 40s and don't want to be the "oldsters" of the neighborhood. Does anyone know if the neighborhood is diverse in age? Also high on our list is Chastain and Shelly Woods. It is quite overwhelming determining the right place to put down roots. There are so many choices.

Old 03-17-2008, 05:17 PM

My husband and I live in Belair at Carolina Lakes in the Glen section (homes in the middle range) ....Those that I have met are between 30-50 years old...I am 43 (older mommy to an 9 week old! ) and my husband is 40. We absolutely love it here!!

There are also 3 other sections....can't remember what they are called...One section has lawns maintained..Most in there I would say would be 40 and up, but who knows....There is another section where I would say most would be 20 to early 30's (homes are at the lower end (low 200's) as far as pricing goes) ..And another (where homes are most expensive) that I would say most would be 40's and up.

Old 03-17-2008, 05:40 PM

10 posts, read 27,048 times
Thanks for the info Misfit. Sounds like a mix of people. My husband is 42 & I'm 44 and our kids are college-age. I really like Belair and would build in either the Glen or the Reserve. The lots we liked however have not been released yet. Which home did you build?

Old 03-17-2008, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA-Native View Post
Thanks for the info Misfit. Sounds like a mix of people. My husband is 42 & I'm 44 and our kids are college-age. I really like Belair and would build in either the Glen or the Reserve. The lots we liked however have not been released yet. Which home did you build?
We built the Braxton...loved the floor plan!! We have lived here since late October and still love it!! no complaints...

Regarding the lots...We were going to wait for wooded ones..but choose not to. If we waited, the price of the house would have gone up another 4 grand...Plus, Pulte was not going to offer the 10,500 incentive for the lot we wanted (only 5 grand I believe). I also think that they were going to discontinue the refridge incentive as well. Anyway, our lot is a bit irregular in shape..but is a quarter of an acre..My husband and I plan on starting to plant our own *woods* as they lift the drought restrictions eventually *fingers crossed* ..We put the extra money we would have spent on a wooded lot, into the facing of the house instead.

The Reserve is really nice as well!! great floor plans...I am sure if/whether you choose the Reserve, or Glen, you would/will be very happy.

We just had more neighbors stop by our home tonight....One of which is on this forum as well VERY NICE people!! though, I looked a mess...no sleep with a 9 week old..lol..Good thing I am still in good shape at my age, lol..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties