Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2016, 09:15 AM

6 posts, read 22,262 times

Advertisements

Hi
We are looking to buy our first home in Fort Mill / Indian Land / Tega Cay areas. We have a 3 year old daughter and our parents visit us every year. So, we are looking for a neighborhood with active Indian community and a good school district. Not really interested in ballantyne since the houses are expensive. Our budget is low 300K. (Min 2,200 sqft) and are open to townhomes if its a nicer community.

I did try searching for previous posts but found only a couple of them. So, hoping to get some more suggestions with this post. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2016, 10:46 AM

625 posts, read 488,178 times
I don't think you'll find any neighborhood with a "large" Indian population in Fort Mill, though there are quite a few Indian families in my neighborhood with homes in your price range.

I would suggest looking into: Fallbrook, Balmoral, Summerlake (town homes) - these are all part of the Regal Manor HOA and in the Northeastern most area of Fort Mill, on the NC border and Lancaster County border.

We always hear fireworks around Diwali and have a few neighbors put up lights And the cub scout pack that my son belongs to has 3 or 4 Indian families that I know live in our neighborhood.

We're in Fallbrook.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by SCCoqui; 10-27-2016 at 10:47 AM.. Reason: Clarification on neighborhood.

Old 10-31-2016, 07:34 AM

Thanks a bunch for the response NJCoqui. We will look at all the neighborhoods you mentioned. Any input on newer neighborhoods like Lake Ridge and Cameron Creek? And anyone know of any neighborhoods in Indian Land with Indians?

I am sorry for the delayed response. Was travelling for work and didn't get a chance to get online until today.

Last edited by madhulatha22; 10-31-2016 at 07:35 AM.. Reason: Forgot to add something

Old 11-01-2016, 02:11 PM

I'm not very familiar with Indian Land and the communities there.
One thing that would help to look at is the web site greatschools.org and look at the Fort Mill Schools and Indian Land schools and see the demographic make-up of the schools. This is the link to my son's school: Sugar Creek Elementary School - Fort Mill, South carolina - SC - School details

They have the population as 5% Asian and I know that most of those families are Indian since we really don't have many other Asian ethnicities in our community.

The district great schools web site is:
York 04 School District in Fort mill, SC | GreatSchools

You can use the ethnic break up of each school to determine the nearby Indian population since in Fort Mill schools are neighborhood schools.

Best of luck!

Old 11-02-2016, 08:55 AM

That's for your input NJCoqui. That's a great idea to look at school ethnicity breakup. Will definitely do that.

Thanks!

Old 12-29-2017, 06:19 PM

27 posts, read 65,216 times
Seriously? Why does it matter if you have an Indian community or not? That sounds like a racist preference!

Old 01-01-2018, 03:21 PM

5 posts, read 17,287 times
Default Seriously?

This does sound like a racist question to some degree (although I realize each person us entitled to their own choices and opinions when they do house hunting). I am an Indian living in Fort Mill and never kept this factor in mind when I built here last year.

We assimilate a lot with all the families in our community and they are also very nice with us and we never felt our of the place.

Old 01-03-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryResident453 View Post
Seriously? Why does it matter if you have an Indian community or not? That sounds like a racist preference!
Maybe they want to feel a little support and not completely isolated.There's also the religious and cultural aspect and they may want to maintain a lot of their cultural activities without having to travel across Charlotte to participate.

It's easy to critique when the norm around you is what you grew up with and are accustomed to. Humans congregate to the familiar to feel comfortable. It's not like they only want to associate exclusively with Indians.

Old 01-03-2018, 03:53 PM

5 posts, read 17,287 times
"out of the place"
Quote:
Originally Posted by singhstandard View Post
This does sound like a racist question to some degree (although I realize each person us entitled to their own choices and opinions when they do house hunting). I am an Indian living in Fort Mill and never kept this factor in mind when I built here last year.

We assimilate a lot with all the families in our community and they are also very nice with us and we never felt our of the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties