U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2008, 08:12 AM

39 posts, read 83,142 times

Advertisements

I currently work in the South End of Charlotte. I'm thinking of buying a house in Fort Mill, but I'm concerned about the commute times.

The house I'm considering isn't far from 521, so I'm thinking I could take that all the way up. Is 521 a nightmare during rush hour? Alternately, I could proably take 521 to 485 to 77 (ugh!).

Anyone out there commute that way?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 04:56 PM

269 posts, read 1,023,626 times
I commute from Baxter to Concord everyday and unless there's an accident, it rarely takes me more than 40 minutes. I can make it to uptown easily in 25 or so. To Ballentyne in about 15.

Old 03-02-2008, 05:31 PM

850 posts, read 2,524,183 times
I live off of I77 and exit 85 (Baxter). If I leave between 6:30 and 7 or so it takes me about 35 min to uptown, on a perfect traffic day...On a bad day, say accident at 485 or tryon, it can take an hour easy... The problem areas are normally Carowinds, Westinghouse, 485, Arrowwood and Tryon.
Hope this helps...

Old 03-02-2008, 06:02 PM

268 posts, read 1,075,380 times
I commute from Rock Hill (more south then Fort Mill) to Charlotte.

It takes me 30 minutes tops

Old 03-02-2008, 07:41 PM

2,536 posts, read 8,846,850 times
okay while I don't know how much this is going to help the OP (since I think they are looking at the opposite side of town).

I live in Tega Cay, SC (apx. 3 or 4 miles from Interstate 77 - exit 88/Gold Hill Rd)

This past Friday I had to be in the Huntersville (NC) area (Interstate 77 - exit 16B) by 9:00 am.

I left my home at 7:50 am (don't laugh...I had heard about the traffic headed to Charlotte, NC..and fell back into my Southern CA ways by giving myself plenty of time)

It took me apx. 7 minutes to enter 77 North (there was some back up at the turn light on Gold Hill Rd)

While there was some minor back up around the 485 interchange...it was mainly folks hitting their brakelights and slowing down just a bit.

As I approached the John Belk/277 interchange I looked at my watch and it had been a whole 12 minutes since I hopped on to the Interstate.

It was at that point I realized that I was going to be really, really early to my appointment.

While I admit I did not drive the exact speed limit...I never went over..by more than 5MPH the posted limit....

...so what's the deal...did I just get lucky or what??

OH I might also add...the folks that were on the otherside of Interstate (77) headed South into uptown Charlotte....now that was a mess.

Old 03-03-2008, 03:51 PM

9 posts, read 30,252 times
I make the commute every day to where you are going. The advantage of being right by 521 & 160 for me is that there are 3 ways to get to South Charlotte. Depends where in SC you are talking about since a lot of the backroads would serve different purposes. If you want to head up 521 to either Ballantyne Commons, 485, HWY 51 it does not always take as long as some people may think. From the intersection of 160/521 to 485 you are talking about 15-20 minutes in rush hour (only slow if there is an accident or construction).

When I go 160 to 77, that takes quite a bit of time (toward baxter) due to NC commuters using that route.

I don't think you would have too hard a time depending on where you are going. Now if you are looking further down 521 towards Sun City then that will take longer, due to the commuters traveling to Charlotte from that area.

There are three good communities just off 521 & 160 that sold to a majority of homeowners that work in NC....all with the incredibly low Lancaster County taxes. Right now there are also around 20 homes in the two larger home neighborhoods that have very low price per sq ft listings.

Old 03-04-2008, 01:56 AM

39 posts, read 83,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintinhull View Post
I make the commute every day to where you are going. The advantage of being right by 521 & 160 for me is that there are 3 ways to get to South Charlotte. Depends where in SC you are talking about since a lot of the backroads would serve different purposes. If you want to head up 521 to either Ballantyne Commons, 485, HWY 51 it does not always take as long as some people may think. From the intersection of 160/521 to 485 you are talking about 15-20 minutes in rush hour (only slow if there is an accident or construction).

When I go 160 to 77, that takes quite a bit of time (toward baxter) due to NC commuters using that route.

I don't think you would have too hard a time depending on where you are going. Now if you are looking further down 521 towards Sun City then that will take longer, due to the commuters traveling to Charlotte from that area.

There are three good communities just off 521 & 160 that sold to a majority of homeowners that work in NC....all with the incredibly low Lancaster County taxes. Right now there are also around 20 homes in the two larger home neighborhoods that have very low price per sq ft listings.
Well the commute doesn't sound as bad as I first thought. What communities are you referring to? I'm interested. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties