Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 10:13 AM

235 posts, read 306,939 times

Advertisements

I should just ignore your insulting response, but I am a nice guy so here are few notes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by drazgo View Post
Thanks, I know how distance works. Which is why I never believe my car GPS on distance. Uhm, ok...

I still don't need aircraft that far out flying at 3-4000 ft and neither does anyone else. Oh,
you think the planes at that low? Nope, they are higher that that around your area (5000 to 7000ft)

I am well aware of what the FAA is stating as to why they've changed the flight ceiling back in 2010 to pave the way for the NEXTGEN use of GPS for flights, and most of it is bs. Uhm, ok...

Putting flights back upwards to 8-10k feet on approach with the drop in they had before is just as safe as they claim NEXTGEN will be, we have 60+ years of aviation history to account for that. I don't have time to address this with you. Maybe someone else will explain.

Also, for everyone stating that "I'll get use it", no. I won't. Uhm, ok...

Let me put a piece of construction or lawn equipment outside your house from 7 am to 10 pm every day and run it for 2 hours at a time with just enough of a break for you to get use to silence again before firing it back up for another 2 hours. All day, every day. I have spent my life flying big and small aircraft, I like watching and hearing aircraft in flight. I'll wave as I cross over your lawn. CLT traffic is increasing... more planes are coming your way

I am not looking for "get use to it comments" I am looking for people who live in the corridor and have to deal with the constant stream of jet liners braking 3000 ft over head for 20+ miles on their way into CLT. Again, your distance and altitude figures are way off

Yeah yeah, we can't take on the FAA, they big bad government. It's the reason why we have the government we do with attitudes like that. The FAA has done nothing wrong. They set approach and departure patterns based on safety and traffic flow. I actually think the FFA has done an amazing job in Charlotte balancing the needs of the airport and noise concerns.

So rather than be antagonistic in true keyboard troll fashion, how about giving constructive criticism so that those of us who actually do care about noise, property prices, and basic home sanctity can mount some sort of campaign to make the FAA acknowledge that they can't just drop planes into people's yards without considering the impact on the people on the ground. Antagonistic because I told you some things you didn't want to hear? Ok...

So far you seem to be the only person with a problem with the noise. I am sorry you are not happy with the location you selected (due to the noise).

Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 12:30 AM

5 posts, read 31,089 times
I've been in the Leslie and Catawba area for 4 years and Rock Hill most of my life. I have yet to see a low altitude commercial jet in the area. I normally don't call bs but I'm calling bs on this. We're way too far from the airport for it to be of a concern. From my experience flying the altitude from this far out would be around 6k-7k . I don't know what the flight maps look like , but again its rare I see plane traffic. Seems to me you're one of those people that complain about everything. If the noise bothers you may I suggest moving to a very isolated state like Montana maybe? Just a thought. You live in a urban area you have no choice but to get used to the noise.

Old 06-09-2017, 07:39 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
I think OP has a point that the noise map (full map here - https://maps.bts.dot.gov/arcgis/apps...464cc0e9d5c9fb) does not look accurate, although the one article (New U.S. Department of Transportation map shows noise from highways, airports in Charlotte | Charlotte Observer) does seem to call that out and says it is subjective.

For example, to the untrained eye it looks to me like it is showing CLT as having comparable noise, maybe even less than each of the 3 DC area airports, even though CLT is busier.

Old 06-11-2017, 11:41 AM

235 posts, read 306,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by egrigg View Post
I've been in the Leslie and Catawba area for 4 years and Rock Hill most of my life. I have yet to see a low altitude commercial jet in the area. I normally don't call bs but I'm calling bs on this. We're way too far from the airport for it to be of a concern. From my experience flying the altitude from this far out would be around 6k-7k . I don't know what the flight maps look like , but again its rare I see plane traffic. Seems to me you're one of those people that complain about everything. If the noise bothers you may I suggest moving to a very isolated state like Montana maybe? Just a thought. You live in a urban area you have no choice but to get used to the noise.
Correct. The planes approaching from the south will be around 5,000 to 7,000 ft is that area. On Thursday afternoon, I flew this approach and I was not down to 4,000 until less than a mile from Carolwinds.

What folks need to understand is during that phase of flight, the pilot has little if any discretion on altitude.

I did wave as I flew across the OP's lawn. Hopefully I did not make too much noise

Old 06-11-2017, 02:48 PM

850 posts, read 2,650,054 times
The crj's tends to be more noisy than the a321. The early morning FedEx is a beast.

Old 02-19-2019, 06:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,194 times
Default really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Father View Post
Would you recommend they shut down the airport or just move the flight path over someone else's property?
I too struggle with jets flying over my rock hill house everyday. every 30 seconds a plane flys over my house from 7am to 11pm. meaning over a thousands planes a day! Now how is it logical for planes coming from New york and California all to be flying over my house which is south of the airport? And although being 25+ miles away from the airport, these planes are flying too low. im sure this man understands that a plane has to fly, but not at such low elevation so far away from the airport. The interstate is 4 miles west of my house and is a straight shot to Charlotte. now wouldnt it be best for the planes to fly over the interstate where there is already noise and few homes instead of flying over (supposed to be) peaceful rurals homes?

Old 02-19-2019, 06:28 PM

547 posts, read 773,603 times
The interstate is not a straight shot to the runway. I’m 4 miles west of the interstate and north of you and the planes don’t bother me. I like having an airport close by

Old 02-25-2019, 08:31 AM

2,411 posts, read 2,690,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas4815 View Post
I too struggle with jets flying over my rock hill house everyday. every 30 seconds a plane flys over my house from 7am to 11pm. meaning over a thousands planes a day! Now how is it logical for planes coming from New york and California all to be flying over my house which is south of the airport? And although being 25+ miles away from the airport, these planes are flying too low. im sure this man understands that a plane has to fly, but not at such low elevation so far away from the airport. The interstate is 4 miles west of my house and is a straight shot to Charlotte. now wouldnt it be best for the planes to fly over the interstate where there is already noise and few homes instead of flying over (supposed to be) peaceful rurals homes?
Now how is it logical for planes coming from New york and California all to be flying over my house which is south of the airport?
- The runways at CLT run from north to south. Planes take off into the wind. When the wind is coming from the north and blowing south, planes take off to the north and land from the south (to not be in the way of planes taking off). Planes will loop around and line up to approach from the south, even if they came from north of the airport when it is in this configuration.

And although being 25+ miles away from the airport, these planes are flying too low.
- In the Rock Hill area, planes are at at altitude of 4,000 - 6,000 feet and are slowing down to around 160 miles per hour. These planes are only 8 - 9 minutes from touching down at the runway once they are over Rock Hill. Anywhere within 30 miles of a runway, the approach is going to have low planes. Every minute within the 8 minutes from Rock Hill to the airport they are dropping a couple hundred feet. If they were higher up, the descent would be far too steep and dangerous. You can't just put the nose down and drop 2,000 feet at the last minute.

The interstate is 4 miles west of my house and is a straight shot to Charlotte.
-I-77 is a straight shot towards Uptown, but not towards the airport. When planes are in final descent, they need to be lined up straight at low altitudes. It is dangerous to start making sharp turns at only a 2,000 - 5,000 feet, so the planes need to take the direct straight path, which runs to the east of I-77 on most of the approach. Anybody living east of I-77 is in the direct line of approach to the airport.

Last edited by CLT4; 02-25-2019 at 08:40 AM..

Old 02-26-2019, 08:54 AM

625 posts, read 488,178 times
My neighborhood is in the direct line of the approach (we're in NE Fort Mill).
You get used to the plane noise. Sometimes it's REALLY loud but after a while it becomes background noise. It usually starts around 6 AM and ends at 11 PM -- unless there's been weather and storm delays at CLT or other connecting airports.
I like living close to the airport. It's a give and take.

Old 02-28-2019, 06:47 AM

197 posts, read 278,358 times
I've never been bothered by planes anywhere in Rock Hill. And the only loud/low altitude ones are the occasional military exercise
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties