Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 03:35 PM

4 posts, read 20,574 times

Advertisements

My husband and 7 year old daughter and I will be coming to Tega Cay over Spring Break. We are seriously considering moving there when she gets out of school. We are interested in Calloway at LakeShore, we were wondering if anyone is familiar with this neighborhood? I was hoping there may be some kids in the area for my daughter to play with if we move? Are there any young families? Mostly retirees or rentals?? We are open to other areas in Tega Cay and Fort Mill, we would like to buy a home for about 200K. We are coming from the Dallas area and our propery taxes here ran us 5,000.00 last year we heard that they would be less than half that on a 200K home in Tega Cay...we hope this is true. We are going to try to "see it all" in a week but would love some suggestions on places to check out, and places to eat. We won't have much time for play or shopping since we really want to figure out if this might be the place for us to move. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 05:53 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,212,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a5sa1 View Post
My husband and 7 year old daughter and I will be coming to Tega Cay over Spring Break. We are seriously considering moving there when she gets out of school. We are interested in Calloway at LakeShore, we were wondering if anyone is familiar with this neighborhood? I was hoping there may be some kids in the area for my daughter to play with if we move? Are there any young families? Mostly retirees or rentals?? We are open to other areas in Tega Cay and Fort Mill, we would like to buy a home for about 200K. We are coming from the Dallas area and our propery taxes here ran us 5,000.00 last year we heard that they would be less than half that on a 200K home in Tega Cay...we hope this is true. We are going to try to "see it all" in a week but would love some suggestions on places to check out, and places to eat. We won't have much time for play or shopping since we really want to figure out if this might be the place for us to move. Thanks!
Yes, there are children within Calloway...and many more within the rest of Tega Cay. Tega Cay is a good mix of all ages...I would have to say now...since Lakeshore has been built out...families probably far outnumber retirees. Your taxes will be lower that what you are use to in Dallas...but you might find home prices to be a tad higher?

The detached homes in Calloway sold very fast (they were/are ranch homes for the most part), there are also townhomes that are very nice too. The only thing is...if you are looking at $200,000 I don't believe that will get you one of the detached homes anymore..but you can probably find a townhome in the lower $200,000 range.

If you are set on Tega Cay and want a detached home...I would suggest (in your price range) to look at Amber Woods, or Meadowview, or some of the original/older homes within Tega Cay.

If you are open to the Fort Mill area...you will have more to choose from within your price range.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:44 PM

146 posts, read 451,601 times
hi there- just to echo what Loves said, (who is the best source of info by the way... she helped us tremendously before we moved) there are tons of kids in Tega Cay. I can't speak directly to Calloway, but we moved to Lakeshore in the fall and have been a ton of kids at the parks, in the neighborhood etc. My kids have had no trouble at all making friends. There are a lot of parks which helps a lot, my kids love meeting new kids when we go, there is always someone to play with. I don't think you can go wrong in Tega Cay, at least in my experience. Good Luck!

Old 03-10-2008, 07:34 AM

193 posts, read 633,738 times
FWIW, from having walked a few times through Calloway when out for some exercise, it looked to me mostly older or retired homeowners. I am not an expert and don't have any official data, so my impressions may be off. Check with a realtor, who should be able to get you more exact info. I can recommend one if you are interested.

With regard to taxes, they should probably be half of your $5,000 number if you buy for about $200K. The formula in Tega Cay is: cost of house x 4% x 0.193. For $200,000 it should be about $1,544 if I punched the numbers correctly. The listing should show the recent tax bill for reference purposes.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Family View Post
hi there- just to echo what Loves said, (who is the best source of info by the way... she helped us tremendously before we moved) there are tons of kids in Tega Cay. I can't speak directly to Calloway, but we moved to Lakeshore in the fall and have been a ton of kids at the parks, in the neighborhood etc. My kids have had no trouble at all making friends. There are a lot of parks which helps a lot, my kids love meeting new kids when we go, there is always someone to play with. I don't think you can go wrong in Tega Cay, at least in my experience. Good Luck!
why thank you PA Family (...I'll pay you later )

Old 03-10-2008, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesBFree View Post
FWIW, from having walked a few times through Calloway when out for some exercise, it looked to me mostly older or retired homeowners. I am not an expert and don't have any official data, so my impressions may be off. Check with a realtor, who should be able to get you more exact info. I can recommend one if you are interested.

With regard to taxes, they should probably be half of your $5,000 number if you buy for about $200K. The formula in Tega Cay is: cost of house x 4% x 0.193. For $200,000 it should be about $1,544 if I punched the numbers correctly. The listing should show the recent tax bill for reference purposes.
your right...there are quite a few retirees/empty nesters within Calloway (as the ranch homes were a Huge hit....hmmm...you'd think other builders would pick up on this concept too???...anyhoo)...there are children there...as my children happen to have some friends there.

But like PA Family has mentioned there is so much to do around here (kid wise)...it does not take long for the children to meet new friends. And although we continue to grow...the area (as of yet) is still not all that large.

http://www.tegacayrec.com/files/Area_Map.jpg

Old 03-10-2008, 06:36 PM

193 posts, read 633,738 times
Good point - it is not like Calloway is isolated - there are a lot of families all over Tega Cay. Our kid is likely to not have any others the same age on our street and we are in a different part of TC...

Old 03-10-2008, 07:23 PM

146 posts, read 451,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecarolinas View Post
why thank you PA Family (...I'll pay you later )
It's the truth! I can't thank you enough, and I still owe you lunch

Old 03-10-2008, 07:34 PM

4 posts, read 20,574 times
Thanks so much for all the great info. We can't wait to visit next week!!!

Old 03-11-2008, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesBFree View Post
Good point - it is not like Calloway is isolated - there are a lot of families all over Tega Cay. Our kid is likely to not have any others the same age on our street and we are in a different part of TC...
Not sure what the age of your child is?...but I'd put money on it that....it's just a matter of time before your child will have friends from not only on your street in Tega Cay, other areas within Tega Cay, and the surrounding areas of Fort Mill as well....you watch!

....Now it's us parents...that seem to take a little longer at this friendship thing...than any of the children do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties