Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2017, 01:24 PM

7 posts, read 8,596 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I am a 24 year old African American woman who's engaged and looking into moving to Fort Mill, SC or Greenville, SC with my fiancé. I have my Bachelors in Psychology, but currently working in a medical office as Front Desk. I am interested in moving in September of 2017 but want to make sure I'm moving to a safe & growing area with several job opportunities for a young lady such as myself. How are the jobs there? Cost of living? Crime rate? Job wages good or low? Traffic?? Your suggestions are highly appreciated! Please and thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2017, 10:17 AM

135 posts, read 196,218 times
Safe, check. The first safest town in SC is Tega Cay, and the 2nd is Fort Mill. (they're right beside each other)

Growing, check. Like you wouldn't believe. Fortunately the town is doing a great job of trying to stay ahead of the growth is schools, infrastructure, etc.

Job opportunities, check. More and more businesses coming to Fort Mill are bringing lots of opportunities.

BA in Psych, eh? Me too - it comes in handy with my career in Real Estate!

As far as the stats - look here:

https://www.city-data.com/city/Fort-M...-Carolina.html

Let me know if I can help!

Old 06-13-2017, 03:14 PM

16 posts, read 19,455 times
Ah, well we just moved from Greenville to Fort Mill for my hubby's job, so I feel slightly qualified to provide a little input.
Everything is more expensive in Fort Mill than Greenville (car insurance and pest control were our latest sticker shocks). I assume due to proximity to Charlotte where everything is even more expensive (so it might seem less for people coming from Charlotte).
I think long term your employment opportunities are probably better in Fort Mill, lump in Charlotte and the job pool is enormous. Greenville is still pretty blue collar, lots of manufacturing and tons of 2 yr college grads that scoop up desk jobs pretty fast especially in the medical field. Greenville is not doing a lot to keep higher end jobs (hence my hubby's move) and is focused on manufacturing. Fort Mill has landed 2 HQ's recently. The only field where this doesn't really apply is engineering. Many more opportunities in Greenville for engineers.

Safety - not an issue in either place, just be smart, like anywhere really.
Traffic - avoid woodruff Rd and the eastside in Greenville. Fort Mill - jury is still out, but its not too bad so far.

Old 06-14-2017, 12:33 PM

Thank you both your responses. It seems as if Fort Mill will provide a better opportunity for us and our growing family. Do either of you recommend a certain area in Fort Mill where it is nice and still close to I 77 in case either of us get a job in Charlotte? We are looking to visit soon and would love an idea of where to look. I would really love to rent a townhome or condo.

Old 06-14-2017, 12:40 PM

4,272 posts, read 6,324,214 times
All of Fort Mill is good - there are literally DOZENS of threads on this local forum that answer your questions already, so I suggest reading through those to learn more about what Fort Mill has to offer.

But rest assured, ALL of Fort Mill will fit your needs with regard to safety, proximity to shopping/jobs/entertainment. All schools are highly rated and there's truly not a bad one in the bunch.

The main difference is that Tega Cay has the highest taxes (albeit still low compared to other areas of the country), Fort Mill second highest, and Indian Land (which is another part of Fort Mill) the least highest. Clover and Lake Wylie, near Fort Mill, are also good areas to look at and consider.

When you come, find a realtor, tell them your price range, and they'll begin showing you the various subdivisions that fit your need. There's literally DOZENS and DOZENS for you to choose from, in a variety of price ranges.

Old 06-15-2017, 07:52 AM

Thanks for your input and suggestions. I read a lot of the previous threads and they seem to be either old (2007,etc.) or just not detailed enough so that's why I posted my own. As far as the taxes, thanks for that because the taxes, cost of living, etc. in 2017 is one of my main concerns. I see a lot of people talking about Tega Cay but I won't look there if they are more expensive than other areas. I will continue to search and read on here concerning areas to rent because I prefer not to use a realtor. I've worked in real estate and see a lot from the back end. Thanks again everyone for all this information, you've given me a lot to consider.

Old 06-15-2017, 08:40 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,324,214 times
Tega Cay is not that much more expensive - we're talking $100-200 a year more in taxes for a home in the $250-300K range.

Most of the information in the other threads still holds true today, and there are many new threads from the past year or so that contain the information you are seeking.

Good luck in your search. Fortunately, Fort Mill/Indian Land is not that big (IMO) so if you decide to drive around and explore on your own, you'll see plenty of what the area has to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties