Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2017, 01:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,613 times

Advertisements

HI-I rent in Charlotte and am relocating my family to Rock Hill, Fort Mill, or somewhere around here once our TN house sells. My airline job left Chattanooga and I moved to this area to keep my job. We are finding really good houses that are cute with nice yards and often completely remodeled in the downtown Rock Hill area, and we'd love to live in that area--I'm just wanting to know if it is safe. Main Street area. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 01:01 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,971,298 times
I was born and raised here, in the downtown Rock Hill area, two blocks from Main St. No malls then, everything was on Main St, Caldwell St, White St, Trade St. They couldn't pay me now to live in downtown Rock Hill.

Several years ago the city leaders adopted a new theme for the downtown area, "Old Town" to promote the area.

https://www.onlyinoldtown.com/

As far as crime check out the York County Sheriff or Rock Hill Police Dept Crime maps.

Rock Hill, SC : Crime Map

You can read the local newspaper and see where most of the crime happens.

Breaking News, Sports & Weather from Rock Hill, SC | HeraldOnline.com & The Herald

One other thing, taxes. You will pay York County taxes on your home, your vehicles, motorcycles, campers or whatever toys you may own. In addition you will pay taxes on the same items to the City of Rock Hill. Residents will argue but we have trash pickup, fire department service, police department ... but those of us living rural have excellent volunteer fire department, York County Sheriff's Dept and trash collection or handy dandy convenience centers nearby.

We had one rental house left in Rock Hill city limits and paid more in city taxes on that 4 room house than we pay on 4 aces/2000 sq ft home outside the city limits.

This is just my own personal opinion. I loved downtown Rock Hill long ago, You could get out and walk, drug dealers not in every nook and cranny and it was safe. I don't want to be in that area now when the sun goes down.

Old 06-29-2017, 02:38 PM

113 posts, read 127,778 times
What CarolinaWoman said. There are so many developments just outside the City that have nice homes for sale. You really get nothing except another high tax bill for living within the City of Rock Hill. And like she said, there is no way, I'd be living near downtown. The City fathers/Chamber of Commerce always try to put a smiley face on downtown but the newspaper headlines about drug deal/assaults and shootings paint a very different story. Rock Hill is in my mind trying to be a "Little Charlotte" - well as far as crime goes, they are succeeding.

One thing to look at when looking at potential homes, the City boundaries are crazy. One side of the street can be in the City and other side may not be. We live in neighborhood which is out of the city, yet the streets all around us are in the city. I suppose that's why when a home comes up for sale, there is a sale pending on it within days.

Good luck in your search. Find a good Real Estate agent.

Old 06-30-2017, 10:01 AM

14,485 posts, read 20,667,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingingBug View Post
HI-I rent in Charlotte and am relocating my family to Rock Hill, Fort Mill, or somewhere around here once our TN house sells. My airline job left Chattanooga and I moved to this area to keep my job. We are finding really good houses that are cute with nice yards and often completely remodeled in the downtown Rock Hill area, and we'd love to live in that area--I'm just wanting to know if it is safe. Main Street area. Thanks in advance.

We have a relative who sold a couple of family homes and their agent might be helpful for you.

How many bedrooms do you need?

The downtown area is safe. The police patrol the areas very frequently. Fire hydrants on most corners, the city gives you good trash and yard debri pickup on a weekly basis and other advantages over outer areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties