U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 02:40 AM

170 posts, read 532,087 times

Advertisements

Could anyone give me info on the Fort Mill area? Schools are my #1 priority (test scores look good from what I've read), Just hoping for some first hand information. Does the town have a good community feel to it? Are there many things for kids to do? I have 2 boys, 10 and 13, who love soccer and basketball, and am looking for a great town for them, (as well as my husband and I). From what I've read, it seems to be a nice place to raise a family. I would love some first hand knowledge, though. If my husband commutes to Charlotte, is the traffic bearable? We are looking to spend $150k or under on a home, is this do-able in this area? I know, I know, so many questions! It's just so hard to do this from across the country, any info is greatly appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2006, 12:16 PM

2,536 posts, read 8,594,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2boys
Could anyone give me info on the Fort Mill area? Schools are my #1 priority (test scores look good from what I've read), Just hoping for some first hand information. Does the town have a good community feel to it? Are there many things for kids to do? I have 2 boys, 10 and 13, who love soccer and basketball, and am looking for a great town for them, (as well as my husband and I). From what I've read, it seems to be a nice place to raise a family. I would love some first hand knowledge, though. If my husband commutes to Charlotte, is the traffic bearable? We are looking to spend $150k or under on a home, is this do-able in this area? I know, I know, so many questions! It's just so hard to do this from across the country, any info is greatly appreciated!
Hey there momof2boys: I will try to help as best as I can...we live in the Fort Mill area. Our children attend the Fort Mill School District (1-middle and 1-elementary) and we could not be more pleased with the education that our children are receiving. You might take a look at the Fort Mill School District website. They are currently building: a new middle school, along with a new high school (at present there is 1 high school "Fort Mill High"). The area under the Fort Mill School district covers the city of Fort Mill, Fort Mill township, and Tega Cay (all located in York County). As far as commute time that will vary depending where in Charlotte your husband would work (but if it is uptown it would take aproximitly 20 to 25 minutes). Homes are being built pretty much everywhere you look, and yes you can still find a home for $150 or under (resell and new). If in need of a realty company you might check into the Allen Tate company. Good luck to you!

Old 04-27-2006, 01:48 PM

Thanks so much for the info, I'm glad to hear about the schools, that is absolutely my #1 priority! I actually just checked the Allen Tate website, but everything in our price range came up under Rock Hill, Clover, and York. I'll have to check a few others. I really hope there is affordable housing for us (we truly don't want to put all of our $ into the house). But the town sounds exactly what we're looking for! My husband is a union carpenter (commercial construction), so we're thinking most of his work would be in the big city. Not sure though, sounds like there's a lot going on right there. We'll have to see. Thanks again for the info!

Old 04-27-2006, 02:41 PM

are you looking for new homes or resell as well? I just went into the website of Allen Tate and was able to bring up a couple of pages of homes in Fort Mill within your your price range (remember if you don't mind resell you can state a price over the $150's). [moderator CUT] Other things to look out for...if the home states it is in Fort Mill then you happen to see the school district states Indian Land...this is a completely different school district. One last thing...off the top of my head there is a development in Fort Mill in your price range called "Waterstone".

Last edited by Marka; 04-28-2006 at 01:54 AM..

Old 04-27-2006, 04:06 PM

Yes, now I've got it! I know what I was doing wrong, I pulled up York County, but didn't specify Fort Mill. Thanks so much, that was just what I was looking for. And thanks for the heads up on the school districts. I've seen a few houses in the Indian Land schools, and wasn't quite sure how that worked. I would definitely like to stay with the Fort Mill schools, I've heard nothing but great things about the schools there! And yes, I found the "Waterstone houses", that's exactly what we want! Now if we could just sell our house here, we could start our adventure to the East Coast! Do you know of any websites with good pic's of the town and area? I'm having a hard time really finding any. I have to say, this is by far the scariest thing I've ever done, relocating from one coast to the other. If it was just my husband and I, I'd say "no big deal", but I've got a 13 yr.old who's complaining like mad with just the talk of moving away. (My 10 yr old's jumping for joy!) The guilt of being a parent! But I've read so many of you here that are doing just this for one reason or another, so I know we aren't completely crazy! Thanks again for the info.

Old 04-27-2006, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2boys
Yes, now I've got it! I know what I was doing wrong, I pulled up York County, but didn't specify Fort Mill. Thanks so much, that was just what I was looking for. And thanks for the heads up on the school districts. I've seen a few houses in the Indian Land schools, and wasn't quite sure how that worked. I would definitely like to stay with the Fort Mill schools, I've heard nothing but great things about the schools there! And yes, I found the "Waterstone houses", that's exactly what we want! Now if we could just sell our house here, we could start our adventure to the East Coast! Do you know of any websites with good pic's of the town and area? I'm having a hard time really finding any. I have to say, this is by far the scariest thing I've ever done, relocating from one coast to the other. If it was just my husband and I, I'd say "no big deal", but I've got a 13 yr.old who's complaining like mad with just the talk of moving away. (My 10 yr old's jumping for joy!) The guilt of being a parent! But I've read so many of you here that are doing just this for one reason or another, so I know we aren't completely crazy! Thanks again for the info.

first off I forgot to mention...that yes, there are plenty of places to play soccer and basketball (YMCA's, Leroy Springs Complex, Tega Cay has soccer, along with the schools that start team sports in 7th grade) . Then there is baseball, swimteams, tennis (in Tega Cay), golf (Fort Mill and Tega Cay) , watersports (Lake Wylie), horseback riding (check out Anne Springs Greenway in Fort Mill), plus plenty of other things to do (you might mention to the kids Carowinds Amusement Park). We too were from the west coast (Southern CA)...and worried about the kids as well (taking them away from their friends, school, etc). I can only speak for my own children but they adapted quickly (first day of school) . The Vice Principal had told us that there were many new students and that they all know what it's like...so that seems to make life easier for all of them (it held true). As far as pics. of Fort Mill....best bet is to do a google image search for Fort Mill or check some realtors sites...some occasionally have them (I think there are some old pics on Fort Mill Living and Tega Cay Living). I will have to warn you though....there is alot of growth here and I have continued to see prices rising (of course still nothing like the west coast). Best of luck to you!

Old 04-30-2006, 05:58 PM

Thanks for the info, I'm glad to hear about the sports, and how well your kids adjusted. Everyone's been telling me not to worry too much about the kids, and my boys are very easy going, and friendly, so I think they'll do just fine. I have the feeling Fort Mill is the place to be, and I think if we don't get there soon, prices will skyrocket. That's exactly what happened here, 10 yrs. ago, great. Now, outrageous! I do have a question regarding weather. My husband is worried about hurricanes, whenever we hear about the Carolinas here, it's about hurricanes. I told him I think it's too far inland. Any info on that? Also, do you get many tornados? That's what I'm afraid of, when we visited TN earlier this month, the killer tornados where there, and it scared me to death! Thanks again for the info!

Old 05-04-2006, 09:22 PM

57 posts, read 321,792 times
Default Dont worry my kids feel the same way

Hi.... My family and I are also moving there from Florida as soon as our home sells here in Florida.

I too have a 13 year old daughter and my youngest daughter just turned 11. The 11th year old is jumping for joy, however the 13 year old is somewhat anxious and nervous, especially about school and making new friends.

I was born in Lancaster South Carolina, but have lived in Florida since I was 10 years old, and things have definitely changed there in South Carolina in a GOOD way. We are very excited to be leaving Florida, but I always manage to have these doubts when It comes to my children. But I do know, they will never be able to live here because things are just too expensive.

My grandmother lives in Fort Mill, but my mom lives in Rock Hill. We are not sure which schools our kids will be going to yet, as we are looking to buy property in Edgemoor, which is 10 minutes from Rock Hill.

My daughter wants to go Rock Hill High School, but we dont know that much about it just yet. If anyone has any opinions or comments please let us know.

So tell your boys.... my girls are in the same situation and not to worry... I'm sure they will all be fine.

p.s. To LOVETHECAROLINA's... you are always so helpful in informative. Thank you. I always read your comments and replies. They are definetly encouraging and motivating.

Old 05-04-2006, 11:49 PM

Thank you so much sheilaramos, It's nice to hear other people that are in the same boat, and to know I'm not a horrible mom doing this to her kids. After all, we just want what's BEST for our kids, whether they know it or not. (I keep telling my kids we will be closer to Disney World, and can actually drive there!)- Hey, whatever works . It will be nice that you have relatives there! I truly think it will be great for us all, and we're actually nervously excited, if that makes any sense. We are getting ready to put the house up for sale next week, so hopefully we'll be there soon! (As soon as school gets out). Good luck to you,and thanks again for the encouragement!

Old 05-05-2006, 09:32 AM

9,828 posts, read 5,724,770 times
Shelia;

You keep mentioning Rock Hill and Fort Mill schools, but that you're looking to buy property in Edgemoor. Edgemoor is Chester county and your kids will go to Lewisville schools in Richburg.

Joe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties