Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2017, 04:20 PM

10 posts, read 9,130 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move to the Carolinas from Northern California. I have been researching the Fort Mill Schools for awhile (and also UCPS), but I haven't been able to figure out the feeder patterns. Are there a lot of splits? I'm hoping someone with some experience with this district might help me out, not only explaining this, but also maybe discussing the finer points of the district through DM, as I have tons of questions. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 05:50 PM

96 posts, read 219,476 times
School Attendance Maps-Online School Locator - Fort Mill Sc... Shows the attendance zones.

I have actually been impressed with Fort Mill's attempt to keep rezoning to a minimum. When they did the last elementary one they hoped it would be for at least 5 years. The school district has had to really work to keep up with the growth of fort mill that they can't control but have to adapt too. There will be more rezoning in a couple years when the 3rd high school is finished. And at least a couple more middle schools and elementary.

They seem to take into account traffic patterns, neighborhoods, etc.

I haven't heard the same about Union County but i have no actual experience.

We've had a great experience. Our son is entering his 6th year in the school district.

Old 07-28-2017, 05:31 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,297,425 times
With explosive growth comes the need for new schools, so FM does have to rezone from time to time. The upcoming school year will have a new middle school, so those zones changed, and in 2019 the new high school opens, so the high school zone will change (and that's one change I'm not happy about because based on preliminary maps, my junior will likely have to change schools for her last year of high school, unless we sell our house and move into the original high school's new zone).

Fortunately, all schools in Fort Mill (York District 4) are excellent, so I'm not worried about WHICH school they go to other than distance (for the new high school my children may end up driving past their original high school to get to the new one for which we are zoned) and separation from established friends. But educationally, I know they are good no matter what school they attend.

Old 07-28-2017, 07:28 AM

625 posts, read 489,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
(for the new high school my children may end up driving past their original high school to get to the new one for which we are zoned) and separation from established friends. But educationally, I know they are good no matter what school they attend.
Have they determined the Zones yet for the new HS? We're years away from that and live a stones throw away from Nation Ford HS so I'm not concerned about my son -- more about some of his buddies from swim team and scouts. I can't open the link above at work so if that has the zoning, my apologies.

As for the schools and feeder schools -- as Girl said -- FMSD does a great job of keeping areas grouped based on locations and traffic.

Many of the elementary schools are paired with middle schools. For those that aren't, like where my son attends, Sugar Creek Elementary, they may end up feeding to different middle schools, which SCES currently does. Those that live on the Regent Park side of the attendance zone go to Springfield Middle and those that live on the Regal Manor side to Fort Mill Middle. That may change as the new middle school is opened and there's more building in the area. Then what happens is that they end up back together for HS. I wish he could stay with his same friends throughout, but at the same time it's a good thing to get to know other kids in middle school.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:54 AM

10 posts, read 9,130 times
Thank you for confirming that the district is made up of all great schools! Coming from a large district with a lot of inequality, where the admin focuses only on the low performers only, York 4 sounds wonderful!

I do worry about splits. I love the idea of all kids in an elementary feeding to the same middle and then the same high, but it seems like that is hard to achieve in a place where there is a lot of growth happening. I'm not sure it would be different in the other places we are looking-Union Cty?

Can anyone comment on Orchard Park, Riverview, and more on Sugar Creek? A PP wrote SCES splits, do the other two? Are there any schools with totally "clean" feeders?
Can anyone comment on the splits in terms of if your kids went through that kind of situation? Do the kids struggle with friends?
I'm somewhat apprehensive because we are moving across the country and will know no one, so consistency seems important. I'm sure as my boys grow,I'll learn their lives will be full of changes and inconsistencies ��

Old 07-28-2017, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCoqui View Post
Have they determined the Zones yet for the new HS? We're years away from that and live a stones throw away from Nation Ford HS so I'm not concerned about my son -- more about some of his buddies from swim team and scouts. I can't open the link above at work so if that has the zoning, my apologies.

As for the schools and feeder schools -- as Girl said -- FMSD does a great job of keeping areas grouped based on locations and traffic.

Many of the elementary schools are paired with middle schools. For those that aren't, like where my son attends, Sugar Creek Elementary, they may end up feeding to different middle schools, which SCES currently does. Those that live on the Regent Park side of the attendance zone go to Springfield Middle and those that live on the Regal Manor side to Fort Mill Middle. That may change as the new middle school is opened and there's more building in the area. Then what happens is that they end up back together for HS. I wish he could stay with his same friends throughout, but at the same time it's a good thing to get to know other kids in middle school.
No, they haven't finalized the zones yet, but I've heard through the grapevine from other parents in our neighborhood that work for the school district that with the current version of the zones being looked at, our kids will be going to the new high school versus the one we are currently zoned for (FMHS). I'm hoping that changes before a final version/decision is made.

As SCCoqui said, middle schools can be tricky - my kids ended up leaving all their friends behind for middle school because the new lines were drawn when Banks Trail opened. Now they are being reunited with elementary school friends but leaving their new middle school friends behind because they are all zoned for NaFo.

Old 07-28-2017, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsmom11 View Post
Thank you for confirming that the district is made up of all great schools! Coming from a large district with a lot of inequality, where the admin focuses only on the low performers only, York 4 sounds wonderful!

I do worry about splits. I love the idea of all kids in an elementary feeding to the same middle and then the same high, but it seems like that is hard to achieve in a place where there is a lot of growth happening. I'm not sure it would be different in the other places we are looking-Union Cty?

Can anyone comment on Orchard Park, Riverview, and more on Sugar Creek? A PP wrote SCES splits, do the other two? Are there any schools with totally "clean" feeders?
Can anyone comment on the splits in terms of if your kids went through that kind of situation? Do the kids struggle with friends?
I'm somewhat apprehensive because we are moving across the country and will know no one, so consistency seems important. I'm sure as my boys grow,I'll learn their lives will be full of changes and inconsistencies ��

As already said, ALL schools are good - OP, Riverview and SC are all good schools.

With your kids being younger, if you move into a neighborhood with lots of kids their same ages, the good news is that they'll all go to the same schools. They don't divide subdivisions. It's all or none.

My kids have handled moving around the schools pretty well. My son missed his best friend in middle school for a couple years, but they are reuniting this year thanks to the new middle school opening up, causing the recent rezone which put them back at the same school. They were able to keep their friendship going via regular skype/gaming calls and sleepovers during the two years they went to different schools.

Old 07-28-2017, 01:54 PM

625 posts, read 489,040 times
In looking at the current attendance maps (this may change with the new schools):

Elementary school attendance zones where all the kids feed to the same MS:
Tega Cay ES - Feeds to Gold Hill Middle
Gold Hill ES - Feeds to Gold Hill Middle
Pleasant Knoll ES - Feeds to Pleasant Knoll MS
Springfield ES - Feeds to Springfield MS
Doby's Bridge ES - Feeds to Banks Trails MS

Schools that get split:
Orchard Park - Feeds to Banks Trail MS & Pleasant Knoll MS
Riverview ES - Feeds to Banks Trail, Fort Mill MS & Springfield MS
Fort Mill ES -- Primarily feeds to Fort Mill MS but a tiny wedge in the south feeds to Banks Trail MS
Sugar Creek ES - Feeds to Fort Mill MS & Springfield MS

The HS attendance zones will change with the new HS so it's not even worth the analysis right now. But the two MS that get their attendance zones split are Banks Trail MS (cut in half) and Springfield MS (a small wedge from the south goes to FMHS and the rest to NFHS).

Last edited by SCCoqui; 07-28-2017 at 01:57 PM.. Reason: grammar and spacing

Old 07-31-2017, 01:13 PM

351 posts, read 656,560 times
Girl, check to see if your junior can be grandfathered in to where he/she's going now. I know we thought we were going to have to move schools for my senior a few years ago and that's what NAFO told me, that as long he has his own transportation he can be grandfathered in his senior year.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gapeach69 View Post
Girl, check to see if your junior can be grandfathered in to where he/she's going now. I know we thought we were going to have to move schools for my senior a few years ago and that's what NAFO told me, that as long he has his own transportation he can be grandfathered in his senior year.
Ooh, I hadn't thought of that. My junior should be driving by then - so maybe that'll work! Thanks for the tip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties