Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 07:58 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,284,611 times

Advertisements

Getting overly developed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 07:40 AM

625 posts, read 492,808 times
My 2 cents...

One thing we didn't budge on was having a neighborhood pool. We looked at one neighborhood that didn't have one and we opted not to. They said that they'd eventually have a pool built once the neighborhood had been built out -- it's going on 3+ years now and no pool.

My husband is originally from NJ and grew up in a very rare type of neighborhood in NJ in the 70's -- they had a neighborhood pool -- and he wanted that same experience for our son.

It gets HOT here in the summer, as you're experiencing this week, and it's really nice to have the option to put on your bathing suit and head over to the neighborhood pool for an hour or two. It's a MAJOR social hub in our neighborhood. We always end up bumping into someone we know. Honestly, if our budget would have been higher, we would have done Springfield in a heartbeat -- bigger and nicer pool than what we have. But, it's still nice having our pool.

This week I had to work from home and had my son and his friend with me and we went to the pool for a few hours while I continued to work in the corner with my work laptop.

Springfield is also nice in that it's across from the Anne Springs Close Greenway: Anne Springs Close Greenway
The Springs family has vowed to keep that land undeveloped. It gives the area a more open feel that's lacking in some parts of Fort Mill.

Old 08-18-2017, 04:23 PM

113 posts, read 128,431 times
If you're not moving until the summer of 2018, there will be more new developments to choose from. Absent any economic downturn between now and then, you'll need to be ready to put in a offer quickly as houses(especially in Ft. Mill) move very quickly.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:54 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,322,931 times
So how was your trip, Lightning 22? Would love to hear your thoughts - both good and bad!

Old 09-04-2017, 01:05 PM

43 posts, read 76,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
So how was your trip, Lightning 22? Would love to hear your thoughts - both good and bad!
Hi Girl,

Sorry I missed you when we visited. Throughout the thread I listed what we did while we were in Fort Mill but overall I really enjoyed Fort Mill.

Some of the things that I really enjoyed were:

1. The PEOPLE - Everyone was super friendly, everyone we came into contact with were class acts. When I spoke with people about us possibly moving there everyone was helpful and willing to tell us what they liked and disliked. As we were driving through all the different subdivisions people would be sitting outside and everyone waved. It was just so nice to see. In NY, if you look at someone.... they respond with what are you looking at..LOL. In Fort Mill, people say hello. Big Difference.

2. Subdivisions - We literally drove through almost every major subdivision. I have to say everyone was really nice. Our real estate agent took us through Fort Mill as well as subdivisions in Indian Land. The houses are beautiful. My wife loved a house in the subdivision The Forrest at Fort Mill. I liked Springfield, I loved the amenities and loved some of the more expensive houses because they had a little more room and not on top of each other. I loved that Springfield has a full time event coordinator and when speaking with her, she showed me the calendar and they have so many activities that bring families together. Some activities just for women, some for men, some for kids and a lot for families. It seems very easy to make friends and families to interact. I loved it!
I liked the little village of Baxter but I thought the houses were a little to close and not enough property but the people their were really nice.
Trinity Ridge and Beckenham was beautiful and the houses are fantastic.
Also liked Eppington South
I also liked the house we saw in Bridgemill in Indian Land, had nice amenities but most people said the schools aren't as good as Fort Mill yet.

The thing that I struggle with is I know what you get with Springfield and Bridgemill with the amenities and how easy it is to meet your neighbors through the pool and various scheduled activities.
With the other subdivisions, all I hear is they have their own websites of Facebook pages where events are scheduled and coordinated. But I obviously don't have access to those sites to see what they offer.
So this makes me lean toward Springfield because I liked the subdivision amenities and the houses.
Plus close to Nations Ford H.S.

3. Location - Close to Charlotte, Lake Wylie, Lake Norman, Carowinds, US National White water center.

4. Weather - Yes is was really hot but I rather hot that freezing cold and 12 FT of snow.

5. Schools - Fort Mill HS and Nations Ford looked really nice and big campus feel.

6. Food - The food was good, everywhere we ate seemed very fresh. Great BBQ. Yes, your not going to get the variety of NY but most of the food in NY is bad for you anyway!

7. Traffic - What you guys think is bad for traffic is like Heaven for me. Im used to 1:30 min commute to and from work. I can live with 10 mins of traffic...LOL

8 - The kids, could have been listed up my people section but wanted to specifically point out how respectful the kids were. I have never been called Sir so many times in my life. This just shows how great these kids have been brought up. Kudos to the parents of Fort Mill. Great job! The kids when I asked them questions about the area, schools and things to do things were nice to say and chat and were so polite and helpful. This helped a lot because my daughters could here from kids there own age. Thanks again parents!

9 - Lower cost of living!

There are so many positives!!!

Negatives:

1. Could get boring at times - Maybe or Maybe Not - I say this because if you are outgoing an make friends I am sure you'll have a lot to do. Enjoying the company of other good people would be enough for me.

2. 3-4 hours away from the coast and beaches. BUT, I really enjoyed Lake Norman and so did my family. We went Jet Skiing and they had a great time.

3 - Moving somewhere where you don't know anyone - Again a real negative?? I don't know about that. Everyone so friednly it seems like you'll make friends fast.

4 - Stores close early. My wife wanted Starbucks at 9:00 p.m. LOL. Something I can live with!!

5 - No major league baseball team near by but in all honesty, the Mets games here are so expensive I would have to take out a second mortgage to take a family of 6 to a game.

Im sure there are more positives and negatives but I think this is long enough.
In closing, WE loved it and are working to taking the steps to move there.
We have a few roadblocks but hopefully we can over come them and move their in the next year or so.

Thank you to all the people who commented on this post as well as my Best Subdivisions in Fort Mill post.

Anything else you can tell me that I missed or just about the subdivision and their events would be helpful.

Thanks again,
Jay

Old 09-05-2017, 07:43 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,322,931 times
Glad you had a good trip and seemed to have narrowed down your choices quite a bit.

As for major league baseball - the Charlotte Knights have a big fanbase (they are the Chicago White Sox minor league team) and the games are fun and cheap.

As for the boring comment - coming from NYC, yes, Fort Mill may seem boring. But truth be told, Charlotte has a lot to offer (and Columbia is only 70 miles away).

Old 09-05-2017, 09:08 AM

625 posts, read 492,808 times
Glad to hear that you enjoyed your time here.
We're originally from NJ (I grew up in Brooklyn) so I get the fear of getting bored, but honestly we're out and about here a lot more than we were in NJ.
We just got back from a weekend of camping in lake Norman and we had an amazing time up at a quarry in a farm in Moorseville yesterday. My in-laws live in Holden Beach (about 3.5 hrs away) so we go to the beach about once a month or so. With lake Norman nearby and neighborhood pools we don't miss the beach (that much).
We've made friends through the neighborhood and our son's activities. We also like to go off-roading and we've made many friends through that hobby as well.
College sports are HUGE here. More so than the NE.
There's a 24 hr Harris Teeter on Springfield Parkway with a Starbucks, though I'm not sure of the Starbucks hours for your wife
Edit to add: most neighborhoods have their own FB pages and you really won't get to know the vibe until your in. You may want to ask the admin of the Springfield page to let you on in a trial basis just so you can get a feel if it's for you.
People are friendlier here, though my kid still hasn't gotten the m'am and sir thing down yet Can get the boy out of Jersey, but can't get the Jersey out of the boy!

Old 09-11-2017, 09:06 PM

158 posts, read 181,836 times
Lightning22,

Thanks for the informative write-up. I am moving from Iowa to the Rock Hill area in January after accepting a position with a new company. Really looking forward to a short, mild winter, and much more outdoor time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties