Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 06:04 PM

20 posts, read 23,872 times

Advertisements

Hello-

We intend to make a trip to Charlotte soon to get a feel for the area and would hope to look at Fort Mills. The potential job will be near "Southpark" in South Charlotte so I would be willing to entertain SC neighborhoods that are within 30 min commute. We are a young family and looking for a nice, safe, friendly neighborhood with many young kids under 10 (we are in our low 30s). Hope home prices are under 750k but prefer more like 500k.

What neighbordhoods would you suggest we drive through? Prefer new homes but any age home works. Thanks for suggestions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 07:41 AM

625 posts, read 488,178 times
In your price range and proximity to South Park I would recommend looking at Springfield. It's in the North-East corner of Fort Mill. It's a really nice community across the road from the Ann Springs Close Greenway, they have a pool and a golf course.
It's about 20 - 30 min commute from South Park during rush hour traffic times and you have the option of taking "back roads" to get there.

Old 09-18-2017, 06:24 PM

16 posts, read 29,065 times
It depends on what are you looking for in terms of home style, lot size, and neighborhood amenities but I would start out with Baxter Village (might be best to walk thru from restaurants/shops to some of the houses to get a good feel), Springfield (beautiful homes and great location especially if you are golfer), Eppington South (more stately and big lots in the custom section), Lake Shore (Tega Cay/lake lots if that is your thing), Habersham (nice new builds but tiny lots), Brayden (same as Habersham), and Mason's Bend (same as Habersham). Also with the exception of Springfield, generally 29708 > 29715...I may be a little biased but check out the demographic stats online too.

Old 09-19-2017, 07:17 AM

686 posts, read 804,768 times
Our family just went through all of this and we are coming up on our 1 year anniversary of moving to FM from the West Coast. We have 4 children, 3 in elementary school and 1 in middle. Everyone has their own opinion on schools and location so I will share ours

Location: We lived in a townhouse in The apartments at Brayden for 8 months while our house was being built. Nice location but TERRIBLE TERRIBLE traffic during peak hours to get on the freeway. It used to take me 15-20 min just to get on I-77which was only about 3 miles up the main road( hwy 160). Hwy 160 is always packed with traffic. We would cut through the Brayden neighborhood so we could use the light just to turn left to avoid the risk of being "t boned".

Tega Cay - Nice area, very small but homes are a bit pricey for what you get. To us it has that " we love to tell you we live in tega cay" attitude. Living here you would take Gold Hill Road which is also terrible traffic and the exit to get on 77N is often backed up past the other exit ramp/ light and dangerous. The other option is to take Hwy 160, which I mention above.

My father in law lives in Springfield and its a great neighborhood. Traffic to get on the highway is also terrible(traffic is pretty bad in case you havent picked that up yet . We almost bought the last model house in here until we went to Mason's Bend.

Baxter Village is a great neighborhood but I feel the lots are too close together and for what and where you can build new, I wouldn't buy in there unless it was the perfect house and I was on a time constraint. However, we are there often as they have great shops, eateries, and a starbucks.

We bought and built a Fielding home in Mason's Bend. Obviously, I'm going to be a little biased but we made multiple cross country trips to make sure were understood the area. The houses in our opinion were nicer than Springfield, had better layouts, we have just shy of a 1/2 acre lot, and the freeway access is great. We will eventually have 2 pools over looking the Catawba River next summer, river access and the builders made walking trails all through the neighborhood. Ours kids go out the back door and into the forest right behind our house where they play and build forts, etc.... IMO, this is the best neighborhood in FM for families with children as well as commuters.

Schools: Again my opinion and I am not a fan of public edu in general, but we felt that the FMSD was just like any other public school we have seen. There was nothing that stood out as to why everyone thinks that the schools are much better here unless you are comparing them to schools in Meck County. We pulled our children out as soon as we had spots in a local charter school.

Last edited by Familyman6; 09-19-2017 at 07:30 AM..

Old 09-19-2017, 04:10 PM

850 posts, read 2,650,054 times
Just a few more notes regarding Sutton Road and Masons Bend. That area is also growing rapidly. Soon there will be retail and a hotel at the i77 exit, so the traffic will continue to build. There will also be additional retail, a proposed hospital site and a new fort mill school that is planned at the entrance to Masons Bend.
The area is great with very close proximity to the river.
Good luck with your search.

Old 09-20-2017, 06:03 AM

4,270 posts, read 6,293,626 times
Another new neighborhood in that price range is Trinity Ridge - the model homes are now open (I saw this in the paper yesterday). Down near Doby's Bridge Road.

Old 09-24-2017, 12:59 PM

20 posts, read 23,872 times
Thank you

Old 09-24-2017, 04:42 PM

625 posts, read 488,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman6 View Post
Our family just went through all of this and we are coming up on our 1 year anniversary of moving to FM from the West Coast. We have 4 children, 3 in elementary school and 1 in middle. Everyone has their own opinion on schools and location so I will share ours

Schools: Again my opinion and I am not a fan of public edu in general, but we felt that the FMSD was just like any other public school we have seen. There was nothing that stood out as to why everyone thinks that the schools are much better here unless you are comparing them to schools in Meck County. We pulled our children out as soon as we had spots in a local charter school.
Just curious which Charter Schools or do you mean private school? There aren't any Charter Schools in Fort Mill and I know that we can go to the ones in the county but the travel to them is too long and in the opposite direction of where most people would head to commute.

We've been very happy with the schools. Our son has some special needs and his teachers have been fabulous.

Old 09-26-2017, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCoqui View Post
Just curious which Charter Schools or do you mean private school? There aren't any Charter Schools in Fort Mill and I know that we can go to the ones in the county but the travel to them is too long and in the opposite direction of where most people would head to commute.

We've been very happy with the schools. Our son has some special needs and his teachers have been fabulous.

Charter School. There are quite a few in Rock Hill. Not as convenient as driving down the street but my wife is a SAHM and I work from home so the commute isn't an issue for us. We were very involved of our CS back west and loved the dynamic that a CS gives. For us they offer a much more controlled, flexible, parent involved environment and most teachers are great to work with because of their passion for the kids, pride in the school. Plus there is no common core garbage to deal with.

Last edited by Familyman6; 09-26-2017 at 06:46 AM..

Old 09-26-2017, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marndt View Post
Just a few more notes regarding Sutton Road and Masons Bend. That area is also growing rapidly. Soon there will be retail and a hotel at the i77 exit, so the traffic will continue to build. There will also be additional retail, a proposed hospital site and a new fort mill school that is planned at the entrance to Masons Bend.
The area is great with very close proximity to the river.
Good luck with your search.

where off of 77 is the proposed hotel and retail going to be? They have been clearing all of the land by the Loves station but not sure what is going on in there. Its a growing area for sure. If it gets too congested, maybe I can talk my wife into a house with land again... Not sure how I feel about sub division living yet.

The school is definitely a possibility but from what we have heard is a long way out. Like 10+ years. All speculation of course from the neighborhood gossip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties