Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 01:10 PM

547 posts, read 774,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
Indian Land is technically considered part of Fort Mill Township, but schools are not part of York District 4 schools, because they are in Lancaster County. As such, they are part of Lancaster County school district.
How is Indian Land technically considered part of Fort Mill?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 01:18 PM

4,270 posts, read 6,295,785 times
It's part of Fort Mill TOWNSHIP, not Fort Mill.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) - Planning Department - Town of Fort Mill, South Carolina *

Quote: "There are actually four separate jurisdictions within the Fort Mill Township: the Town of Fort Mill, the City of Tega Cay, York County, and Lancaster County (Indian Land). Each of these jurisdictions adopts and enforces its own land development, planning and zoning regulations."

Old 11-01-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
It's part of Fort Mill TOWNSHIP, not Fort Mill.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) - Planning Department - Town of Fort Mill, South Carolina *

Quote: "There are actually four separate jurisdictions within the Fort Mill Township: the Town of Fort Mill, the City of Tega Cay, York County, and Lancaster County (Indian Land). Each of these jurisdictions adopts and enforces its own land development, planning and zoning regulations."
I think you’re reading that wrong. Is York County also part of Fort Mill as your quote suggests?

Old 11-02-2017, 08:32 AM

In the 11 years I've lived here, I've always been told that Fort Mill Township is composed of several areas - Tega Cay, the Town of Fort Mill, *parts* of York County (i.e., parts of Fort Mill outside the Town of Fort Mill), and *parts* of Lancaster County (namely, Indian Land).

There are MANY articles online that describe how Indian Land has long been considered to be part of Fort Mill despite being in another county.

Old 11-02-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
In the 11 years I've lived here, I've always been told that Fort Mill Township is composed of several areas - Tega Cay, the Town of Fort Mill, *parts* of York County (i.e., parts of Fort Mill outside the Town of Fort Mill), and *parts* of Lancaster County (namely, Indian Land).

There are MANY articles online that describe how Indian Land has long been considered to be part of Fort Mill despite being in another county.
I’ve been here 8yrs and haven’t heard/read any of that

Old 11-02-2017, 09:46 AM

Up until 2007 they had all their mail delivered via Fort Mill postal service, because they did not even have their own zip code. In 2007 they were awarded 29707 as a zip code, but even still today continue to receive mail via Fort Mill post office. Only in August 2017 did they get word from the USPS that they may finally be getting their own post office. They receive mail from FMPS since they are part of the township.

The township covers a wide area of land, from the northern state line down to Rock Hill, from Sugar Creek in the east to the Catawba River in the west.

This Herald article (article) from 2014 says:

"Rosa said many businesses that are located in Indian Land have Fort Mill listed as their address, something the council would like to see change. The Panhandle of Lancaster County – Indian Land and Van Wyck – are both part of greater Fort Mill Township. The town of Fort Mill and city of Tega Cay are also part of the township."

As I said, there are many, many more articles online that describe Indian Land as being part of the township.

Last edited by Girl; 11-02-2017 at 10:15 AM..

Old 11-06-2017, 01:24 PM

625 posts, read 488,698 times
I haven't heard of Indian Land being part of Fort Mill Township. It's an unincorporated part of Lancaster County. Different County, different school system and zoning. They used the same post off for convenience sake and for a while used the Fort Mill "address" but it has nothing to do with Fort Mill Township. The township of Fort Mill encompasses the unincorporated areas from Tega Cay east up until Sugar Creek, the Catawba River to the south and NC / SC border to the north are FM township.

Old 11-06-2017, 01:26 PM

625 posts, read 488,698 times
"Fort Mill, also known as Fort Mill Township, is a town in York County in the U.S. state of South Carolina. It is a suburb of the city of Charlotte, North Carolina and is located north of Rock Hill. As of 2015, approximately 13,662 people live inside the town's corporate limits with a total of 36,119 people residing within the entire township.[1] Some businesses and residents in the Indian Land community of neighboring Lancaster County often use Fort Mill as their city address as it is the nearest incorporated area, but the official town boundary is located only in York County."

Old 11-06-2017, 02:06 PM

I will simply defer back to the article I quoted:

"The Panhandle of Lancaster County – Indian Land and Van Wyck – are both part of greater Fort Mill Township. The town of Fort Mill and city of Tega Cay are also part of the township."

Just because you may not have heard it doesn't mean it's not true. Since I moved here in 2006, I have often heard/read that Indian Land is considered part of the Township.

Fort Mill Maps | See Fort Mill South Carolina -
"Many local Fort Mill residents like to refer to our area as the “Fort Mill Township”. The incorporated city of Fort Mill is approximately 12 square miles but the Fort Mill Township which includes Tega Cay, Fort Mill in York County and Indian Land in Lancaster County is closer to 160 (approx.) square miles. See the map below depicting what many local folk call the Fort Mill Township."

Here's their graphic, which is found on that page:

History - Town of Fort Mill, South Carolina * - this is the official Fort Mill SC government website:
"The rapidly growing Fort Mill Township, which includes the municipalities of Fort Mill and Tega Cay, as well as surrounding unincorporated communities in eastern York and northern Lancaster Counties, is home to more than 50,000 residents."

I can post more articles if you want. *lol* Many people just don't understand that there's FORT MILL (the town of about 13,000 people) and FORT MILL TOWNSHIP (of about 50,000 people), which is the greater area which includes Tega Cay, Fort Mill, Indian Land and Van Wyck.

Old 11-06-2017, 04:19 PM

To be clear to everyone else
1. Tega Cay is not part of Fort Mill. Fort Mill has no power over Tega Cay.
2. Indian Land is not part of Fort Mill. it’s in a completely different county and Fort Mill has no control over it.
3. York County is not part of Fort Mill. Fort Mill is part of York County.

Post all the articles you want but 1-3 will still be correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties