Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2017, 08:48 AM

3 posts, read 2,966 times

Advertisements

Hi I'm relocating to Fort Mill SC from TX in June of next year I've been doing a great deal of research and decided Fort Mill SC would be a good fit for me and my kids. I will be renting as I am a single parent however I wanted to know what would be a good, safe apartment to rent or townhome (preferably) I would prefer to stay under $900 but will be flexible to get what I want for my kids I would like a 3 br/2 bath but will settle for a 2br/2 bath if its a better area. I have 3 very active boys one in elementary, one in middle and one in high school . I have been reading about Peachtree Place apartments and heard really great things about them but the threads are much older, so I wasn't sure if that still applies, I also was looking at Millcrest Park, Forest Ridge , Fort Mill Townhomes which would be better priced however just wanted to know what I should avoid altogether or if there are some townhome rentals that don't appear on realtor.com, and zillow type websites that I should take a look at. I will be visiting around Christmas so any leads would be helpful.
Thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2017, 11:02 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,313,853 times
Rental in Fort Mill for that price will be hard to find. Especially 2-3 bedrooms. Normally studios or 1-beds are $900-1000.

AVAILABLE RENTALS

This place rents out houses, and there is one listed there in Ashebrook Villas for $995 - a 2-bedroom townhouse. I believe the associated schools are Sugar Creek ES, Springfield MS and Nation Ford HS. Those are all good schools and it's a popular area. So while you likely will NOT find apartments that meet your criteria, you may be able to find small homes or older townhomes.

Most of Fort Mill is safe and ALL the schools are good. You'll be fine no matter where you settle.

If Fort Mill housing is too cost prohibitive, you can also look at Clover, SC which has great schools, as well as parts of Rock Hill, SC.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:42 AM

3 posts, read 2,966 times
Girl, you're awesome thank you so much I'll check it out when I get there

Another question how's the job market in Fort Mill I see all the traffic nightmares they keep posting and would rather just work in Fort Mill area so I won't have to go far or work from home, I see there's a Red Ventures out there I also do medical billing and collections any thoughts on that?

Old 09-21-2017, 01:33 PM

Your job prospects would be better in Charlotte versus Fort Mill. Fort Mill pays lower wages compared to Charlotte.

Depending on where you are in Texas, the traffic here may not be bad in your opinion. I came from NYC/NJ and my commute is currently 35-40 minutes to my office in uptown Charlotte. Think that's still pretty darn awesome since my prior commute was anywhere from 1-2 hours. So YMMV on whether or not you consider traffic to be bad or just annoying at times.

There are three medical systems in the Charlotte area - CHS, Novant and Tenet. I'm sure you could find something related to medical billing with any of those groups.

Old 04-17-2018, 12:07 PM

40 posts, read 54,973 times
Girl is on point for the most part, but I wouldn't take Muse Realty as a base. They're prices are usually higher than market. As a single mom w/ children on one income, Fort Mill in general has become extremely pricey, and you don't get much for your money. That used to be the case, which is why people moved here. However, with that growth comes greed, so there's a lot of price gouging. Anything under $1300 is typically basic, low to no amenities.

As for the job market, they are bringing more companies here, but Charlotte still pays better, especially considering the high cost of living here. The prices work better for 2 income households or six figure incomes for singles. That is taking any other debt, unforeseen expenses that come up from time to time, and regular living expenses into consideration. The latest median income in the area is around $61k, which is not that great for the median home price being around $200k. Just my 2 cents. To add context, I'm a single female w/ no kids.

Old 04-17-2018, 01:02 PM

547 posts, read 776,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces5683 View Post
Girl is on point for the most part, but I wouldn't take Muse Realty as a base. They're prices are usually higher than market. As a single mom w/ children on one income, Fort Mill in general has become extremely pricey, and you don't get much for your money. That used to be the case, which is why people moved here. However, with that growth comes greed, so there's a lot of price gouging. Anything under $1300 is typically basic, low to no amenities.

As for the job market, they are bringing more companies here, but Charlotte still pays better, especially considering the high cost of living here. The prices work better for 2 income households or six figure incomes for singles. That is taking any other debt, unforeseen expenses that come up from time to time, and regular living expenses into consideration. The latest median income in the area is around $61k, which is not that great for the median home price being around $200k. Just my 2 cents. To add context, I'm a single female w/ no kids.
With growth comes low supply resulting in higher prices. Affordability is relative. What is expensive and pricey to you is not to others. While the Fort Mill median household income is ~ $71k/yr, the median household income in Tega Cay is ~ $130k/yr.

https://www.city-data.com/city/Tega-C...-Carolina.html

Old 04-17-2018, 03:20 PM

Which is precisely why I worded my response the way I did. She is a single mom with kids, and she didn't ask about Tega Cay. She asked about Fort Mill. Although many people in this area tend to think the two are synonymous, they are definitely not. She also specifically stated that she is looking for a townhome or apartment. Just take a moment to look up some townhomes on Zillow or apartments on Google in this area. Growth doesn't necessarily make costs go up, PEOPLE do that. They may make those decisions based on the growth they are seeing, but growth does not automatically determine price. People look at supply and demand and decide if they should take advantage or not. That's Economics 101, whether we like it or not.

Of course, we all have our own opinions, but I think that we should be very careful not to label our opinion as fact and also take into consideration the multiple demographics in this world when giving our opinions on forums like this. I think that is the socially responsible thing to do, but that's my opinion lol. Although I make six figures, not everyone has that level of income. It takes a lot of integrity to be a good person in a corrupt world. Those with integrity all have one thing in common, they see the truth of what our world actually is, which is many different types of people with different levels of income and different responsibilities. No one should ever underestimate how much it costs to raise children, nor should they underestimate how difficult that is to do on a single income. At least respect that.

US Census is slightly higher: https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...lina/PST045216

Last edited by Yac; 12-14-2020 at 01:09 AM..

Old 04-17-2018, 04:04 PM

547 posts, read 776,309 times
Wasn’t responding to her. I was responding to your ‘everything is pricey’ assertion. Don’t need a lecture on economics from anyone here. When you mentioned growth you must have meant vegetation. My bad.

Old 04-17-2018, 08:22 PM

LOL @ vegetation....good one!

Old 04-18-2018, 09:43 AM

I think Proud Father was merely commenting that Tega Cay's median income compared to Fort Mill's shows that Fort Mill is not as pricey as some other areas around here. So in his example, someone may be able to afford to live in Fort Mill, but might not be able to afford Tega Cay.

Likewise, I recommended Clover as a possibility on the off-chance that Fort Mill was too expensive for OP.

As it is, I suspect OP has already decided where to live if he/she did in fact decide to move to this area (considering the original post was September 2017). =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties