Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2017, 01:27 PM

17 posts, read 16,462 times

Advertisements

Hello! My family will be making the move to the area next June and are beginning the daunting task of deciding where to plant our feet. On the list of important factors is the commute time. I have played around with google maps some, but was hoping I could get some feedback from actual "boots on the ground".

My husband will be working off of Westinghouse Blvd, just North of Carowinds. Does anyone have any specific ideas for neighborhoods (ex: Baxter Village?) that would keep him under a 30 min drive--on average--for a 8-5 kind of day? We are open to SC or NC. Casting a wide net now and hoping to narrow down for future house hunting.

Budget: >500 Good elementary school and hopefully a nice preschool nearby. Trees and property are great, but we also like impromptu porch parties with neighbors. Walkability to either local eateries/bars and/or parks/playgrounds would be a bonus. Again, hoping to have an under 30 min commute, but would be open to stretch it a bit for the right property. We are moving from an area where most of these are attainable for our budget, but I know I may need to have to reset my vision.

Any information or suggestions are greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2017, 01:42 PM

4,272 posts, read 6,319,973 times
In Fort Mill, any subdivision along the Gold Hill Road west of I-77 will get him to work in about 20 minutes. Anything further south by one exit (i.e., Baxter) and it'll be more than 30 minutes for sure. Tega Cay would also probably be about 30 minutes.

Double those times once the Exit 88 renovation begins in 2018.

Old 10-02-2017, 01:54 PM

Oh wow! Yikes to construction. I wonder if coming from South Charlotte would be much different? Or maybe we will just get him an Audible account. Thank you for the feedback!!

Old 10-02-2017, 02:10 PM

850 posts, read 2,655,846 times
It really depends on what time he will leave for work. Before 7am and the drive is like 15 min to Westinghouse. If you get caught in the 7-7:30 grind then it could take you 20 min just to drive to I77 from Baxter on hwy 160. As girl stated, once construction begins on the gold hill road exit then all bets are off... I can't imagin how bad the traffic will be on 160 then... it's already bad and backs up every day.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:24 AM

182 posts, read 332,619 times
If target time at work is 8, living in Baxter or even further south should not be problem for a less than 30 minute commute. I live in Baxter, commute close to the airport, leave around 7-7:30 everyday, and most days it takes less than 30.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:31 AM

625 posts, read 492,451 times
My husband used to work on Westinghouse Blvd. We live in Fallbrook (near Nation Ford High School) and he had about 15 minute commute when he left at 6 AM. Coming home, if he left at 4PM he was stuck in Carowinds Blvd traffic regardless. It was about 20 - 30 minutes at that hour because of the congestion.

Old 10-03-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrtoclt View Post
Budget: >500 Good elementary school and hopefully a nice preschool nearby. Trees and property are great, but we also like impromptu porch parties with neighbors. Walkability to either local eateries/bars and/or parks/playgrounds would be a bonus. Again, hoping to have an under 30 min commute, but would be open to stretch it a bit for the right property. We are moving from an area where most of these are attainable for our budget, but I know I may need to have to reset my vision.
For this, Baxter would be your best bet. It's got a high walkability factor if you stay within the original section around Market Street. Lots of trees, however, very small lots because of the nature of it being a "new urban" development. Sense of community is high. The elementary school is great and there's a preschool inside the development as well (field of dreams). Also has shops, restaurants, and a YMCA.

Old 10-03-2017, 11:12 AM

Thanks again everyone. Baxter is intriguing and will definitely be on our short list of contenders. The impending construction makes me nervous, but I am starting to learn that unless we live right down the road from his office, he is in for a bigger commute than the 10 minute one we are spoiled with now.

I don't think he would get out the door much sooner than 7 or 730, but we could probably shift our sleeping habits. (Even though we are so lucky our kids let us sleep past 7).

(Ah--just saw my typo. Meant budget would be <500. Oops--I wish it was the other way around.)

Old 10-03-2017, 11:28 AM

Baxter is still sub-$500K for the most part. The exit undergoing construction is Exit 88, which is Gold Hill Road. Baxter won't be affected by that much at all since it's off Exit 85. And the only way you'll get a 10 minute commute is if your husband gets a job at Kingsley, which is just next to Baxter, or something right off Exit 82 in Rock Hill.

My commute into uptown Charlotte averages 35 minutes of driving time - I leave at around 6:45 a.m. The days I leave late (such as this morning), my commute lengthens to about an hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties