Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2017, 03:56 PM

2 posts, read 2,097 times

Advertisements

Need help:
The dealership sold me a car(3 weeks ago) saying there are no accidents on it.They even showed me a car fax report that says that the car is clean.
I believed them and went ahead signed the agreement;Even paid the down payment and got the car home.
But When I talked to my bank for a better interest rate, the bank told me that there is an accident reported on the car.
I got the auto check report from the bank and took it to the dealership but the dealership said that they don't care what my bank says and they sold the car based on the carfax report which says the car is clean.
As a courtesy, I requested dealership to certify the car at least, but the they are not willing to help. I am stuck here not sure whether to seek legal help or live with it.
Do I even have a case to fight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2017, 04:30 AM

382 posts, read 868,352 times
Unless there is a specific state law covering selling damaged, used cars in your state then you really are stuck. You could always threaten to report them to the Better Business Bureau or the local news channel for shady business but you better be able to PROVE the car was in a wreck previously.

Carfax and all the others are just a tool to inflate used car prices, reporting to them is optional and you can request that a shop that fixes your car not to report to them. Carfax and the others even admit in the small print that every case may not be reported.

The fact they won't certify it leads me to believe it was wrecked previously, or they're just too cheap to eat the repair costs for awhile. Just my opinion.

Old 10-28-2017, 08:04 PM

2 posts, read 2,097 times
Thanks emsman. I live in SC..Does anyone know if SC has any such law that protects the buyers? Also, the autocheck report does show the police case#.Is that of any help?

Last edited by sankdan; 10-28-2017 at 08:17 PM..

Old 11-01-2017, 01:13 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,971,298 times
I don't know what county you live in but with the case number you may be able to find the information. Do a search for Public Index for the county you live in and you can search by case number. You can search by All Case Types or Traffic.

This is the York County PIS website: http://publicindex.sccourts.org/york...ookieSupport=1

Or perhaps calling the SCDMV, if you are lucky and someone answers the phone, you might be able to get the information on the accident. A visit to your local SCDMV might work better.

Old 11-20-2017, 06:38 AM

235 posts, read 307,335 times
Unless we are talking about a very expensive used car, unfortunately the cost to fight this is probably not going to be worth it.

Car Fax is not a good source of vehicle history. Period. I have personal knowledge of four vehicles that had a clear Car Fax record and all had been in one or more accidents requiring significant body and pant repair, including two airbag deployments.

Old 11-20-2017, 12:57 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,703,724 times
If they were not marketing the car as a certified pre-owned, and they simply said "the car hasn't been in any accidents based on the carfax vehicle history report" then I would guess you are out of luck. If they told you they 100% guarantee it has never been in an accident, then you might have a case.

You might consider calling a lawyer to discuss. My guess is you signed something during the paperwork that said the dealership is not responsible for the accuracy of the Carfax vehicle history report. You could have called your bank and done additional research on the car before purchasing - and that will most likely be the way the courts view it. The dealership isn't even required to provide a Carfax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
View detailed profiles of: