Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2017, 06:31 AM

5 posts, read 25,146 times

Advertisements

Is anyone familiar with the residential requirements for pools in Fort Mill? My family and I recently moved into a new neighborhood off of South Dobys Bridge and there is a buffer of land between the neighborhood next door and ours. My property backs up to the wooded 80 foot buffer between the neighborhoods. The property on the other side is very close to the buffer so much so that it can be seen through the trees into their backyard. They have a pool that can be seen very clearly at night with color-changing LED lights and can even be seen in the day time.

Just the other day my kids wandered in the woods as I went in to change a diaper, and they were able to get right up to their property they told me later (kids can disappear in the blink of an eye). They were allured by the young kids living at the property and their pet pig. So after a long talking to about not going so close to someone else's property, I started thinking about that pool and how it was not fenced in and how it could be an "attractive nuisance" for my children, especially since I have a 6, 4, 2, and 10 month old, and so far only one can swim, but even then what does that even matter.

So my concern is if there is something that I can/need to do (obviously a fence around my back yard, but there are more than our family living along that line of woods with small children that do not have fences, and it seems unrealistic to require everyone around a property with a pool to have to put up a fence to protect their own children) to express my concern to the property owner of the potential danger their pool poses to my children. Are there requirements for residential pools? This particular neighborhood may not be in the city of Fort Mill as I have noticed they do not have city garbage pick up. All I have been able to find online is that there are no requirements for South Carolina residential pools, only suggestions for signage and fences and pool alarms, to help pool owners to reduce liability in a litigious case. I guess what I'm asking is if there is anything I can do besides installing my own fence. A fence doesn't guarantee that my kids don't wander back there again and encounter a free and clear inviting pool. And please no judgements about negligence as any parent knows how kids can disappear as quick as you can turn around. There is no way to be everywhere all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2017, 07:56 AM

4,270 posts, read 6,293,626 times
Rock Hill requires pool fences if the yard is not already fenced, so I would assume Fort Mill does too since it's all part of York County.

http://www.cityofrockhill.com/home/showdocument?id=2123

Old 10-30-2017, 09:48 AM

625 posts, read 488,178 times
I agree with Girl -- most towns / areas require fences around a pool, as does homeowners insurance. I'm also surprised they have a pet pig, I take it that the house is not in an HOA neighborhood?

Old 11-01-2017, 08:36 AM

Unfortunately this neighborhood is not technically in the city of Fort Mill, so even though my neighborhood which is right next door is, this one is not. But this poses such a danger, and yes I would assume insurance would require it. Is there a way to report this and have someone check it out?

Old 11-01-2017, 11:30 AM

4,270 posts, read 6,293,626 times
Your best bet is to call York County Building & Codes division, versus trying to obtain advice here:

https://www.yorkcountygov.com/351/Building-Codes

Old 11-01-2017, 02:26 PM

73 posts, read 85,591 times
Even if the people didn’t have a pool behind you I would still put a fence in your yard. If you’re worried if you turn your back and they take off it might add a little security. You mentioned putting a fence in because they do not have one, but also mentioned that they still may find their way over there. So if they jump your fence, what would stop them from jumping theirs? I think education and swim lessons would be best for your older children. For the record, they should put a fence around their pool with no trespassing signs to help with the “ attractive nuisance “ you mention. I put a pool in recently and am very familiar with the legal term “attractive nuisance “ so I put a fence up to protect me ( with signs). These people would be smart to do the same.

Old 11-16-2017, 06:21 PM

Was only looking for information online while waiting for all the information I was obtaining with actual legwork/phone calls through the right veins and not with the one you suggested actually. Like I mentioned before, its not Fort Mill. So it doesn't apply. But thanks for playing.

Old 11-16-2017, 06:26 PM

There are more than just my children in this neighborhood that have unfenced yards and right along this patch of woods too. And my children would not jump our fence, much less the fence of a strangers yard (again they are very small), but it is fathomable that they would be playing in the woods as it is common area for our neighborhood with trails and such. So teaching my children to swim, getting my own fence, are really not solving a problem of a potential drowning. But your answer is much like what they told me at the development office. Teach my kids to swim, get a fence, because they cannot make them do anything since they are not in Fort Mill. Insurance companies regulate pool fence requirements in the country of South Carolina.

Old 11-16-2017, 06:31 PM

And just so someone else doesn't suggest it, my oldest child swims pretty well, my second just barely, and my two year old and one year old not at all. And its ridiculous to suggest that I teach the younger two to swim and expect them to be successful. They are the ones I am most worried about, not the older two who know better than to go there. Swimming lessons are not the answer for my toddlers.

Old 11-25-2017, 03:05 PM

73 posts, read 85,591 times
I have to ask, how would a 1 year old and two year old get out of your yard, thru the woods and by this pool unnoticed? Some responsibility has to fall on the parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties