Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 05:50 AM

158 posts, read 181,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbri20 View Post
Yea, that is INSANE. I have a 2016 Cruze and 2017 Traverse. Just paid about 650 for both to renew registrations and property taxes. So in SC I'm looking at 1000 more?!?!?!?! Somebody needs to explain to me how the h**l it's cheaper to live in SC. I latched on to the bait and now between hearing this, my home insurance going up and the fact I'll be paying MORE in my house property tax due to the increased value vs the one I'm selling.....I think I'm regretting this decision
I understand your frustration but to keep things in context I am moving from Iowa to SC and property taxes on a 200k home here run about 4k a year so count your blessings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2017, 07:11 AM

162 posts, read 401,298 times
I know, I moved from NJ where the taxes are even more ridiculous. I am just kicking myself for not doing more research before making this decision. I could have stayed in Charlotte where I've been for 15+ years and saved money

Old 11-28-2017, 07:36 AM

850 posts, read 2,652,858 times
We have lived in FM for 11 years and at one time it was cheaper to live in SC than NC. The personal property tax on vehicles has always been a huge hit, but it was balanced out with the cheaper tax on our home. Unfortunately our property tax continues to increase year after year, gas is becoming more expensive and traffic is becoming impossible during key times of the day... But the schools are great and we are blessed to have access to the best school system in the state. We will eventually move back into NC when the time is right, heck maybe even Boone or Blowing Rock!

Old 11-28-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marndt View Post
We have lived in FM for 11 years and at one time it was cheaper to live in SC than NC. The personal property tax on vehicles has always been a huge hit, but it was balanced out with the cheaper tax on our home. Unfortunately our property tax continues to increase year after year, gas is becoming more expensive and traffic is becoming impossible during key times of the day... But the schools are great and we are blessed to have access to the best school system in the state. We will eventually move back into NC when the time is right, heck maybe even Boone or Blowing Rock!
You're still 40 cents a gallon cheaper on gas than where I am relocating from.

Old 11-28-2017, 01:47 PM

52 posts, read 130,987 times
are the fees the same if its just a lease? have family moving down there with 3 expensive leased trucks, was just asked about this.

Old 11-29-2017, 06:00 AM

625 posts, read 490,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PD517 View Post
are the fees the same if its just a lease? have family moving down there with 3 expensive leased trucks, was just asked about this.
It's based on the car's value, not whether it's leased or owned.

Last edited by SCCoqui; 11-29-2017 at 06:00 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 11-29-2017, 09:13 AM

52 posts, read 130,987 times
Thanks, just figured it out for them, seems like an extra $2000 a year, that is hilarious it totally negates the property tax savings. What a racket, what does SC want clunkers on their roads or something? Makes no sense to have a high end safe vehicle.

Old 11-29-2017, 10:50 AM

625 posts, read 490,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PD517 View Post
Thanks, just figured it out for them, seems like an extra $2000 a year, that is hilarious it totally negates the property tax savings. What a racket, what does SC want clunkers on their roads or something? Makes no sense to have a high end safe vehicle.
An old car doesn't necessarily have to be a "clunker" we have 4 cars in my house. The "newest" one is an '08 (Jeep JK) and it's in excellent condition. The others are an '07, '86 and '62. My husband keeps our cars in excellent condition.

We knew moving here about the vehicle property tax -- we even pay it on our pop-up camper. A lot of people aren't aware and have major sticker shock.

Roads need to be paid for somehow. Real Estate taxes are very low and so property taxes and gas taxes make up the gap.

I just wanted to say that having an expensive vehicle doesn't make you any safer on the road than someone driving an older vehicle. Driving long enough around here you'll see plenty of new "high-end" vehicles in accidents. Safety is primarily about the driver, not the number of "safety features" the car has.

Last edited by SCCoqui; 11-29-2017 at 10:53 AM.. Reason: Add more info...

Old 11-29-2017, 02:57 PM

113 posts, read 127,927 times
Not to be too disagreeable SCCoqui but I doubt any 10 year old vehicle has safety features found on newer cars such as Lane departure warning, adaptive headlights, collision warning systems, park assist, automatic emergency braking, blind spot warning or adaptive cruise control. Also since SC does not require any vehicle inspection, I imagine there's a lot of cars out there with bald tires, damaged/broken tie rods, cracked windshields, etc.

The current tax scheme of taxing the he** out of newer cars, thus encouraging residents to hold onto older cars with a much lower tax bill does nothing to encourage one to trade up into a newer vehicle that has the latest safety technology. Add to that SC allows 15 year old's to drive and it all adds up to why auto insurance is considerably more expensive here in SC that in many other states.

Old 11-29-2017, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnow101 View Post
Not to be too disagreeable SCCoqui but I doubt any 10 year old vehicle has safety features found on newer cars such as Lane departure warning, adaptive headlights, collision warning systems, park assist, automatic emergency braking, blind spot warning or adaptive cruise control. Also since SC does not require any vehicle inspection, I imagine there's a lot of cars out there with bald tires, damaged/broken tie rods, cracked windshields, etc.

The current tax scheme of taxing the he** out of newer cars, thus encouraging residents to hold onto older cars with a much lower tax bill does nothing to encourage one to trade up into a newer vehicle that has the latest safety technology. Add to that SC allows 15 year old's to drive and it all adds up to why auto insurance is considerably more expensive here in SC that in many other states.
Funny how we all grew up without lane departure warnings, adaptive cruise control, auto emergency braking, blind spot warning, park assist, collision warning systems, and yet here we are. I remember driving with my dad in his '56 Chevy with no seat belts he'd throw his arm across my chest if he had to stop abruptly. Didn't even have disc brakes.

You're welcome to inspect my 19 year old Jeep, it's probably in better shape than a lot of 10 year old vehicles. It's called maintenance.

Point is, none of the fancy stuff is necessary. If you are so concerned about safety, maybe focus on idiots playing on their cell phones while driving
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties