Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 05:26 PM

158 posts, read 181,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCoqui View Post

I just wanted to say that having an expensive vehicle doesn't make you any safer on the road than someone driving an older vehicle. Driving long enough around here you'll see plenty of new "high-end" vehicles in accidents. Safety is primarily about the driver, not the number of "safety features" the car has.
Nailed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2017, 06:32 AM

2,416 posts, read 2,720,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jswerve View Post
Funny how we all grew up without lane departure warnings, adaptive cruise control, auto emergency braking, blind spot warning, park assist, collision warning systems, and yet here we are. I remember driving with my dad in his '56 Chevy with no seat belts he'd throw his arm across my chest if he had to stop abruptly. Didn't even have disc brakes.

You're welcome to inspect my 19 year old Jeep, it's probably in better shape than a lot of 10 year old vehicles. It's called maintenance.

Point is, none of the fancy stuff is necessary. If you are so concerned about safety, maybe focus on idiots playing on their cell phones while driving
Motor vehicle fatality rate in the United States:

1970:
25.7 per 100,000 people died via automobile accident

22.5 per 100,000 people died via automobile accident (12% lower than 1970)

17.9 per 100,000 people died via automobile accident (20% lower than 1980 and 30% lower than 1970)

14.8 per 100,000 people died via automobile accident (16% lower than 1990, 33% lower than 1980, and 42% lower than 1970)

11.1 per 100,000 people died via automobile accident (25% lower than 2000, 38% lower than 1990, 51% lower than 1980, and 57% lower than 1970.

There are multiple factors at play including better hospitals and surgery procedures, but the most significant factor in the much lower motor vehicle fatality rate in modern times is better crumple zone technology in the vehicles, better airbags, and better roll over technology. Improvements like the IIHS testing small overlap testing is pressuring automakers to continue to innovate in how they design vehicles to absorb crashes. For SUV's, the death rate for roll overs in 2011 was 75% less than the death rate in 2005, due to rapid improvements in technology that stabilize vehicles with a high center of gravity. In 2011, nine vehicle makes and models, mainly vehicles with top of the line safety features and crash impact design had ZERO fatalities. More than lane departure warning and bells and whistles, the way the cars are built to absorb accidents and protect the occupant is why so many more people walk away with their life than in 2000 and before. Every decade auto makers come up with new safety features and these are to be recognized for their role in making driving safer.

If we had the motor vehicle fatality rate of 1980 and used it on today's population, an extra 35,192 people would die per year in a car accident (37,461 people died in a car accident in 2015).

Last edited by CLT4; 11-30-2017 at 06:49 AM..

Old 11-30-2017, 10:26 AM

625 posts, read 491,123 times
Cars built over the past 20 years have plenty of safety features as mentioned above. You don't need a brand new 2018 vehicle to be safer than someone driving a vehicle built in 2000.

We're not talking about 50 year old cars here (though we have one, but it's not driven on a regular basis). 10 year old cars have the proper crumple zones, air bags, seat belts, etc., that a brand new car has and you'll pay a lot less in property taxes and insurance.

If someone wants to drive a brand new car all the time because it makes them feel better about themselves that's a choice. Let's not make believe that it's about safety. Don't complain about the taxes on something that's a choice.

In 20 years when my Jeep finally dies I'll buy another car. All that money I saved in taxes, I'll be able to pay cash for it.

Old 11-30-2017, 06:26 PM

113 posts, read 128,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
Motor vehicle fatality rate in the United States:

1970:
25.7 per 100,000 people died via automobile accident

22.5 per 100,000 people died via automobile accident (12% lower than 1970)

17.9 per 100,000 people died via automobile accident (20% lower than 1980 and 30% lower than 1970)

14.8 per 100,000 people died via automobile accident (16% lower than 1990, 33% lower than 1980, and 42% lower than 1970)

11.1 per 100,000 people died via automobile accident (25% lower than 2000, 38% lower than 1990, 51% lower than 1980, and 57% lower than 1970.

There are multiple factors at play including better hospitals and surgery procedures, but the most significant factor in the much lower motor vehicle fatality rate in modern times is better crumple zone technology in the vehicles, better airbags, and better roll over technology. Improvements like the IIHS testing small overlap testing is pressuring automakers to continue to innovate in how they design vehicles to absorb crashes. For SUV's, the death rate for roll overs in 2011 was 75% less than the death rate in 2005, due to rapid improvements in technology that stabilize vehicles with a high center of gravity. In 2011, nine vehicle makes and models, mainly vehicles with top of the line safety features and crash impact design had ZERO fatalities. More than lane departure warning and bells and whistles, the way the cars are built to absorb accidents and protect the occupant is why so many more people walk away with their life than in 2000 and before. Every decade auto makers come up with new safety features and these are to be recognized for their role in making driving safer.

If we had the motor vehicle fatality rate of 1980 and used it on today's population, an extra 35,192 people would die per year in a car accident (37,461 people died in a car accident in 2015).

‘Touche. Seems the old adage that facts are a stubborn thing seems to aptly apply.

Like another mentioned, texting/cell phone usage and other distracted driving very much contribute to bad driving behaviors which is all the more reason for the need of the newest accident avoidance technology. Anything that keeps that 15 year old driver whose texting his friends at 60 mph from slamming into me is most welcome.

Old 12-01-2017, 10:04 AM

686 posts, read 809,401 times
You can negotiate the value of your auto with the auditor clerk. They have no idea what they are doing and use a program called Redbook. If you challenge the value you can get it reduced by getting the NADA, Edmunds.com values , or in some cases they make you get an appraisal( which I had to do) .

I just did this as this was my first year living here and I saved myself over $400.00 as they tried to tell me my car was worth $2k more than what I bought it for 2 years ago. The entire tax is a joke and nothing more than another way for the Gov't to get into your wallet.

Old 12-01-2017, 01:17 PM

197 posts, read 279,148 times
The value they charge is based on a non-transparent value determined by the state. They always way overestimate the value of my car and I go and challenge it with the kelly blue book value. You can also get a discount based on high mileage, but it is usually less than you would get by getting it revalued with kelly blue book or edmunds. But if those websites are too far below what the county originally valued, then they won't give you any discount unless you get it professionally appraised by a car dealer (and none of them are going to do that). It's kindof ridiculous

Old 12-01-2017, 02:02 PM

686 posts, read 809,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phareous View Post
The value they charge is based on a non-transparent value determined by the state. They always way overestimate the value of my car and I go and challenge it with the kelly blue book value. You can also get a discount based on high mileage, but it is usually less than you would get by getting it revalued with kelly blue book or edmunds. But if those websites are too far below what the county originally valued, then they won't give you any discount unless you get it professionally appraised by a car dealer (and none of them are going to do that). It's kindof ridiculous

spot on! I actually went the dealer route and they honored it. this was after of course I did what they said with Edmunds and nada and it was such a difference they wanted to " meet me in the middle" . state employees negotiating my tax rates just doesnt seem like a solid process! I tried and spent way to much time on getting a hold of someone worth complaining to but al I got was transferred calls and people ho had no idea who to contact.

Old 12-02-2017, 08:42 AM

113 posts, read 128,098 times
If the process was transparent then the guides the gov't uses would be available for everyone to see. But they are not and you cannot request to see it(well you can request to see it but they will deny the request). Obviously there's a reason why they don't want the taxpaying public to have access to it....

Old 12-11-2017, 01:27 PM

3 posts, read 2,927 times
BE VERY CAREFUL - You better not miss those tax notifications as they are tied to your car tag renewal. I'm from Virginia and I've had trouble every year with my tag renewals. The DMV and Tax Offices worked independently in VA so one didn't affect the other. Somehow I've managed to miss my tax bills 3 years in a row and that meant no new tags. Don't make my mistakes!

Old 12-11-2017, 01:30 PM

4,272 posts, read 6,312,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophisticatedGnome View Post
BE VERY CAREFUL - You better not miss those tax notifications as they are tied to your car tag renewal. I'm from Virginia and I've had trouble every year with my tag renewals. The DMV and Tax Offices worked independently in VA so one didn't affect the other. Somehow I've managed to miss my tax bills 3 years in a row and that meant no new tags. Don't make my mistakes!
Consider putting an annual reminder on your phone calendar that you need to log into York County Treasurer and pay the car taxes online, versus missing something in the mail. If you always pay by November 1, you will be fine and never be late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties