Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 10:43 AM

1 posts, read 1,400 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Could someone here let me know if I could dispute the property taxes York County, SC charged me for my Leased 2017 Honda Accord Sports - Almost $750 and for my Lexus GX460 2014 - Almost $850. Moving from NC I was expecting lower taxes, but I was shocked when I had to pay that much. Could someone tell me if there is a way I could find out if they charged the tax amount correctly? Or if there is a way to dispute those charges? They assessed Honda value to be $26K (NC did $19K)and Lexus GX460 value to be $30K.

Also my next stop is to register the vehicles. Would I get some surprises there as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 11:41 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,322,931 times
Our 2004 Toyota Sienna van was ~$112 this year, so I'm not surprised a 2014 Lexus would be $850.

Old 11-27-2017, 02:45 PM

113 posts, read 128,431 times
Trying to find out the values of vehicles and how York Cty. determines said values is like trying to get a complete set of Trump's tax returns.

Based on my experience, having a new vehicle, you will get socked (or should that be soaked ?) pretty good. I guess the lesson that the County is trying to teach us is that we all need to drive around 10 year sh**boxes as the tax assessment on those are nickels and dimes.

Old 11-28-2017, 03:47 AM

158 posts, read 181,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnow101 View Post
Trying to find out the values of vehicles and how York Cty. determines said values is like trying to get a complete set of Trump's tax returns.

Based on my experience, having a new vehicle, you will get socked (or should that be soaked ?) pretty good. I guess the lesson that the County is trying to teach us is that we all need to drive around 10 year sh**boxes as the tax assessment on those are nickels and dimes.
If a vehicle is 10 years old it's automatically a ****box? Thanks for the information.

Old 11-28-2017, 05:22 AM

625 posts, read 492,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnow101 View Post

Our cars are all about or over 10 years old and none of them are ******boxes. They're all in great shape and well maintained, thank you. Driving around in newer cars isn't a necessity, it's a choice. If you choose to drive a newer car, be prepared to pay the higher taxes so that the county can maintain the roads for the pretty, brand new, cars to drive on.

The great thing about an older car -- lower taxes and car is paid for. Cash goes to upkeep and in our pockets, not a car payment.

Old 11-28-2017, 05:24 AM

625 posts, read 492,936 times
The most "expensive" car from our four is my '08 Jeep JK. We pay about $300 a year in property taxes for it.
Also, be prepared for your insurance to go up. Car insurance is more expensive in SC than NC.

Old 11-28-2017, 05:51 AM

158 posts, read 181,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCoqui View Post
Our cars are all about or over 10 years old and none of them are ******boxes. They're all in great shape and well maintained, thank you. Driving around in newer cars isn't a necessity, it's a choice. If you choose to drive a newer car, be prepared to pay the higher taxes so that the county can maintain the roads for the pretty, brand new, cars to drive on.

The great thing about an older car -- lower taxes and car is paid for. Cash goes to upkeep and in our pockets, not a car payment.
Nailed it, if you have to have a new car then enjoy the ridiculous amount of depreciation they have and on top of that paying high taxes. I'll keep rolling in my 19 year old Jeep Grand Cherokee

Old 11-29-2017, 06:30 PM
NDL

4,521 posts, read 5,684,090 times
OP: You can debate property taxes, but you will have to wrangle a bit. Go to Kelley Blue Book's website, get the value of your car, print it out. Then give York Co a call...see if they'll lower the appraised value of your vehicle.

Old 12-01-2017, 10:09 AM

686 posts, read 811,937 times
I just went through this for the first time in my life a few months ago. Typical Govt process and for what they charge you for taxes, fees, etc... the roads should be a whole lot better.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/south...-property.html

Old 12-01-2017, 10:10 AM

34,315 posts, read 18,694,155 times
Is this just a York County thing? I live in Chester County, and don't pay property taxes on cars. Real Estate, yes, big time, but not other property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties