Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 09:10 AM

172 posts, read 145,739 times

Advertisements

I’ve read several threads and comments about commutes. We are planning a move and will start job hunting this time next year. DH is in banking and I know there are a few areas where he could end up. It looks like Uptown has several possibilities. If we live in one of the 3 areas in the title and if he can work flex hours 6-3, what will the average commute going to be? Is the light rail a good option?

We left DC due to crazy commutes and now he has a 10-20 minute commute in the Midwest. I’ll focus on Charlotte more if SC isn’t going to be a reasonable time. I know a lot can happen in a year but I’m trying to get a feel for areas and we’re coming out to visit this summer. We are focused more on SC due to DD attending college in SC. Kids will all be in college when we move and we want to be close to walking trails and reasonable drive to airport.

Thanks for any advice! I have been reading up on jobs, Zillow, and trying to learn what I can ahead of time. Very excited and looking forward to the change!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2018, 09:40 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,159,631 times
Uptown Charlotte - to Tega Cay? I would plan on anywhere from 30 minutes (on a very good day - light traffic - rare), to 50 minutes on an average rush hour day, to 70 minutes on a bad day (rush hour and any minor incident - almost an average day).

The thing about Charlotte to Tega Cay is that when I used to work in Uptown Charlotte and commuted to Columbia, SC or when I worked out at the banking centers on Harris blvd, I knew I had to get through the bottleneck of I-77 at Billy Graham by 3 PM or I knew I was in for a long commute. So, if your husband has flex hours, they'd better be very flex or there is a lot of commute time.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 02-25-2018 at 09:51 AM..

Old 02-25-2018, 03:42 PM

547 posts, read 774,103 times
It’s a 25 min commute If you leave 6-6:30am

Old 02-25-2018, 05:25 PM

Thank you! How’s the light rail? Is it any faster, reliable, parking easy to find? I think he’d rather do that then sit in traffic but we’ll have to see. It’s good to know the options then we can figure out what makes more sense. He works flex hours now but I realize all these details will be dependent on a new job.

Old 02-25-2018, 06:37 PM

547 posts, read 774,103 times
By the time he drives to the South Blvd light rail station, parks and waits for the train he could’ve been uptown by driving. As an alternate, there’s a bus from Baxter Village (160&77) that heads uptown. It’s about a 40 min trip due to a stop near Carowinds but he could relax, drink coffee etc during the trip.

Old 02-26-2018, 06:01 AM

4,270 posts, read 6,295,785 times
If he's working 6-3 p.m., he'll be able to leave at 5:30 p.m. and have plenty of time to park and get to his desk. His afternoon commute may be a bit longer, but not by much.

Old 02-26-2018, 09:34 AM

5 posts, read 17,301 times
I wouldn't want you to have high expectations. If someone has a flexible schedule and can leave around 6:30 am and by 3:30 pm, they have a commute of 25-35 mins (depending on how far they are from the freeway). Near peak times, it is 45 -50 mins. At peak times, it is 1 hr.

I live in Fort Mill and have experimented with all of these timings in last 1 year.

Light rail is going to take same amount of time, as you have to park at the station and wait for the trains which run every 10 min (going to be 7.5 mins after March 2018). It is a 25 mins ride from I485 station to uptown.

Keep in mind- various financial companies have offices in Ballantyne and Fort mill, so if you are lucky, all of this changes. BoA, Wells have offices in Ballantyne, wells also has one in Fort Mill. Citi and LPL also are present in Fort Mill.

Old 02-26-2018, 10:26 AM

186 posts, read 334,910 times
My work hours are 7am to 4pm and I work just north of Uptown (my commute is 20 miles each way). I live off of Gold Hill Rd in Fort Mill and my average commute is about 30 minutes both ways. It will all matter how bad the backup is between 485 and Tyvola (exit 5 on I77) and then how backed up the I277 connector is (exit 9) in the morning as to how long it will take to get to work. If he has to be at work at 6am; then I'm going to best guess about 25 minutes to get to work.

On the way home I don't think the traffic is as backed up at 3pm as it is at 4pm; but the backups; run from the I277 connector down to around the Arrowwood exit (exit 4) so about 5 miles of stop and go at traffic.

If there are accidents then expect a drive of 40 minutes + each way.

Psy

Old 03-03-2018, 07:19 AM

Thanks so much for all of your responses! That helps me get an idea of what to expect. Since I’m the one pushing for this move to be closer to family, I want to keep DH happy! Looking forward to visiting this summer.

Old 07-09-2019, 06:29 AM

1 posts, read 1,614 times
Considering living in rockhill sc and working in uptown Charlotte. How is commute time in am start work 7am. Also commute home 4:30pm. On call at hospital is commute within 30 minutes in the evening and late night hours? Also weekend commute? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties